I am facing a severe toothache since last week. I have consulted a doctor. He asked me to undergo scaling. What should I do?

I am facing a severe toothache since last week. I have co...
Dear user toothaches cannot be relieved by scaling. Scaling is done in problems with gums diseases. On the other hand treatment dental pain teeth pain may be due to various reasons like infection, sensitivity or trauma. If your teeth is decayed it is better to get it filled or treated by a dentist. If you are opting for root canal treatment do not forget to get a crown on the effected tooth. If you want to go for only medicinal treatment so let me tell you only medicine are not going to be very effective untill you get this treated by a dentist.
The type of treatment you have for toothache /sensitivity/swelling will depend on the cause of the pain, so your dentist will examine your mouth and may carry out an X-ray to try to identify the problem. •If your toothache / sensitivity/swelling is caused by tooth decay, your dentist will remove the decayed area and replace it with a filling. •If your toothache / sensitivity/swelling is caused by a loose or broken filling, the filling will be taken out, any decay will be removed and a new filling put in place. •If the pulp inside your tooth is infected, you may need root canal treatment. This procedure involves removing the infected pulp and then inserting a special type of filling to seal the tooth and prevent re-infection. •If your toothache / sensitivity/swelling can't be treated using these methods, or if your tooth is impacted (wedged between another tooth and your jaw), it may need to be removed.
Severe tooth ache can be because of tooth decay or infection on the tooth. I do not think scaling is th solution take an xray of that tooth and than get it treated accordingly.
Hi lybrate-user, the toothache you are suffering from may be due to a variety of causes, the most common being: 1. Tooth decay 2. Tooth fracture 3. A damaged filling 4. Infected gums the most common cause is a long-standing cavity or tooth decay, which usually requires a root canal treatment (rct). The same treatment applies to a tooth fracture as well. In case of a damaged filling, there may be two possibilities: either the filling can be removed and replaced with a new one after applying a soothing base material; or if the damaged filling is placed deep near the nerves of the tooth, it may require an rct. Infected gums usually are treated with deep cleaning/scaling after which there is permanent relief from pain. So, only if your toothache has a gum problem as a cause, will you get relief from scaling.
It may b cavity. You need removal of cavity & filling or rct on it.
Your teeth pain is sensitivity then go for scaling or else go for root canal treatment.