I am 71 yrs 5ft 8 in weight 90 kg am suffering from diabetic for last 5 yrs lately I find that sole of both my feet become numb when I get up in the morning and also my right heel is very painful please advice what I should do ?

Hi thanks for your query and welcome to lybrate. I am Dr. Akshay from fortis hospital, new delhi. Your symptoms of numbness could be due to long standing diabetes in your case although other causes cannot be ruled out especially issues in lower back region. I would advise you for a very strict sugar control, you can take medications like pregabalin or gabapentin in low doses initially, take vitamin b12 and adequate calcium and vitamin d supplementation. Also heel pain could be due to inflammation in your heel fascia. Treatment modalities are aimed at relieving inflammation of the fascia, like ice packs, physical therapy, footwear modification and anti-inflammatory therapy. I will observe you with this management for around 2 weeks and then we will see if we require any investigations in your case. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance.