20 years experience
Ask Free Question
For leg pain, please follow the below advise:
please keep your leg raised while sitting or lying
1) quadriceps strengthening exercises -:
1. A) quad clenches: lie flat on your back sit upright on a chair with leg kept horizontally on another surface. Now, tighten the muscle on the front of the thigh by pushing your knee down. You should feel your thigh muscles clench, hold for 3 secs. Repeat 10 times twice a day.
1. B) short arcs: lie flat on your back or sit upright with your leg placed horizontally on a flat surface like a chair or bed. Place a rolled up towel under the knee. Pull your toes towards you and clench you thigh muscles. Slowly lift your foot up off the bed until your knee is straight (keep your knee resting on the towel). Hold for 3 secs and slowly lower them on the chair. Repeat 10 times twice a day.
1. C) straight leg raise: lie flat on your back. One leg and knee will be straight and other leg should be bent. Pull your toes towards you and tighten/clench the muscle on the front of the thigh, locking your knee straight. Lift your foot up in the air, about 6 inches off the bed. Hold for 3 secs and slowly lower the leg. The knee must remain straight the whole time you are doing this exercise. 2) hamstring stretching
2. A) towel hamstring stretch
lie on the back, supporting the thigh with the hand or with a towel wrapped around it.
Slowly straighten the knee until a stretch is felt in the back of the thigh, trying to get the bottom of the foot to face the ceiling, one leg at a time.
Hold the position initially for 10 seconds, and gradually work up to 20 to 30 seconds.
2. B) seated hamstring stretch
while sitting at the edge of a chair, straighten one leg in front of the body with the heel on the floor.
Then, sit up straight and try pushing the navel towards the thigh without leaning the trunk of the body forwards.
Hold this stretch for 30 seconds
repeat 3 times for each leg.
3) calf stretches
3. A) standing calf stretch
stand away from a wall and put your fight foot behind you and be sure your toes are facing forward. Lean forward at the ankle while bending the right knee and keeping your heel on the ground. Hold this for 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat 10 times a twice a day.
3. B) downward dog yoga stretch
get down on all fours with your hands under your shoulders on the floor. Walk your hands forward slightly on the floor. Spread your fingers apart to allow for a broad base of support. Push your hips up toward the ceiling and tighten your abdominal muscles. Keep your heels on the ground and gently try and straighten your knees. Repeat 10 times a twice a day. 3. C) wall calf stretch
stand about two feet away from a wall. Place the ball of your right foot against the wall while your heel remains on the ground. Slowly and gently lean into the wall while keeping your knee straight. Hold this for 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times twice a day. 3. D) downward dog yoga stretch
get down on all fours with your hands under your shoulders on the floor.
Contrast bath- fill two buckets/ tubs with very hot water and very cold water. Immerse your legs into the water for 3 minutes and then switch to cold water for 1 minute. Repeat this 3 times once a day. Wish you a very speedy recovery. Best of luck.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.