30 years experience
Ask Free Question
Jaundice is a viral infection which affects the liver and results in impairment of the functioning of the liver.
The symptoms of jaundice are:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Yellowish discolouration of the conjunctiva, tongue, nail beds, skin and urine.
- Whitish stools.
- Body itching
- Enlargement of the liver and spleen
It can be prevented by maintaining personnel hygiene, not drinking contaminated water and eating unhygienic food on the roadside. Hepatitis vaccine also can be taken.
Follow these precautions:
- Maintain personnel hygiene like washing hands thoroughly with soap before eating and after attending to the nature calls.
- Avoid eating roadside food which are unhygienic.
- Wash vegetables before cooking and wash the fruits before consuming.
- Drink only purified water.
- Keep the eatables covered to avoid flies sitting on them and contaminating it.
1 person found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.