Redness of the eyes has multiple causes associated with it. To enumerate a few common causes:
(1) allergy of the eye. It is usually caused by improper eye hygiene. There is a tendency to rub the eyes with fingers, handkerchief, cloth, etc. This is not a good habit because it tends to transmit lots of virus, bacteria and dust into the eye. Allergy usually presents with symptoms of watering (clear water), redness and itching of the eye.
(2) infectious conjunctivitis: this is usually associated with white-yellowish discharge. If so, it would be a good idea to go and show to an eye specialist in person.
(3) foreign body lodged in the eye. This is more commonly associated with people who drive 2 wheeler vehicles without protection. It occurs more commonly in one eye. Foreign bodies that commonly get lodged are eyelashes, insect wings, small insects, dust particles, iron particles (more common with people working in the iron industry) the solution for a foreign body lodged in the eye would be better provided by an eye specialist at the clinic.
(4) raised intraocular pressure: this is a condition known as glaucoma. It is not so common as the previous mentioned conditions. There is usually associated pain in the eyes. It is commonly bilateral (occurs in both eyes). There is usually a positive family history of glaucoma associated in a majority of the cases.
(5) inflammation of the coats of the eyeball. This is known as" uveitis" it is also a relatively less common condition. There is associated pain. It would require a thorough eye checkup including the retina-thus a good idea would be to visit the eye specialist in person.
From the symptoms described by you, it seems more likely to be a case of allergy. Maintaining the precautions and hygiene that I mentioned should probably work well for you.
Hope my suggestions helped you. Take care,
2 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.
Book appointment with top doctors for Tearing Eyes treatment