30 years experience
Ask Free Question
please follow these tips to stop snoring:
- reduce your weight if you are obese. - perform pranayama (breathing exercises) everyday.
- quit smoking which irritates the mucosal layer of the nose and throat and causes blockage and results in snoring. - quit alcohol and sedatives which relax the throat muscles and results in snoring.
- sleep on sides instead on back.
- elevate the head by using a thick pillow which eases the breathing.
- clear the nose before going to bed.
- establish regular sleep pattern.
- keep the bedroom air moist by using humidifier; as dry air irritates the mucosal membrane in the nose and throat.
- perform throat exercises like repeating the vowels a, e, i, o, you loudly for 2-3 mins few times a day or keeping the tongue behind the teeth and moving it backwards - 3-4 times a day.
- anti snoring appliances can also be used.
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.
Book appointment with top doctors for Snoring treatment