1. Milk for Skin Lightening
Milk is a rich source of calcium. Calcium, along with many important functions in our body, also regulates normal skin color. It does so by stimulating melanocytes, the skin cells that produces melanin pigment. Also, when you provide higher calcium content to the upper epidermis of your skin, you help maintain effective barrier against moisture loss. This prevents skin from going dry which can also affect your skin making it darker. Milk also contains lactic acid which reduces skin’s pigmentation
making your skin lighter in complexion.
• Milk (preferably cow’s or goat’s milk)- 1 bowl
• Take the bowl of milk and warm it a little. You need just
warm milk and not hot.
• Soak your washcloth in this.
• Take out the washcloth and wring it out to discard excessive milk. While the cloth should be fully soaked in milk, it should not drip.
• Now gently rub your skin with this cloth.
• Once the cloth gets dry, soak it again in the milk and repeat the process.
• Repeat the cycle of dipping and rubbing for 3-4 times.
• Do this daily, preferably after taking bath.
• After a couple of weeks, you may do this twice a week instead of doing it daily.
2. Yogurt for Skin Lightening
Lactic acid is a known remedy for natural skin lightening. This acid is the most gentle alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). Alpha hydroxy acids act as exfoliants by contributing in rapid shedding of dead skin cells on the surface. This leads to cell renewal which in turn removes dullness from your skin giving you a brightening effect. As a skin lightening agent, lactic acid helps bleach the hyperpigmented skin by suppressing the production of melanin. Therefore, using yogurt loaded with lactic acid, makes sense when it comes to skin lightening with natural remedies.
Ways to use yogurt for skin lightening
1. Take some plain, unflavored and unsweetened, yogurt. Rub this gently on to your skin for a couple of minutes. Then leave the yogurt on your skin for another few minutes. Now wash off using lukewarm water. Repeat this daily.
2. Mix yogurt, lemon juice and oatmeal to get make a face mask. Apply this to your skin. Leave it there for 15-20 minutes before washing off with water.
3. Add 1-2 tsp of honey to 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Apply this to your skin. Leave it for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with water. Repeat daily.
3. Lemon Juice for Skin Lightening
Lemon juice is a natural astringent and has natural bleaching
properties. Thus, if you have an oily skin
and if you want to lighten your skin color, lemon juice is just right for you. Its astringent property will tighten your pores reducing the sebum secretion and its natural acidic composition will bleach your skin to whiten it. As lemon juice is also rich in vitamin C, it leads to production of new skin cells so that you get rid of all dullness and have bright skin.
Ways to use lemon juice for skin lightening
1. Take a lemon and squeeze out its juice. Dip a cotton ball in this lemon juice and apply it on your face or dark skin
anywhere else. Leave it for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with water. Repeat daily.
2. If you want to save
yourself from the hassle of squeezing out the lemon juice, just cut a lemon in two halves and rub one of the lemon half gently on your face for 10-15 minutes. Then leave the juice on your face for another 10-15 minutes before washing it off.
3. For oily skin, make this face mask which will also lighten your skin. Mix 1 tsp of lemon juice with 2 tsp of rosewater and 1 tsp of Fuller’s earth. Make a paste by mixing them and apply to your face. Leave for 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
4. If your skin is dry, mix a tsp each of lemon juice, honey and olive oil. Now apply this to your skin. Massage gently for a couple of minutes. Now leave this on your skin for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water.
Precaution: Never go out in sun after applying lemon juice to your skin. Lemon juice makes your skin ultra sensitive to sunrays that can, I n fact, lead to more discoloration of skin. Also do not use lemon juice if you have open wounds on your skin.