I am 25 years old and pursuing my doctral degree. My MRI report says its an Grade 3 ACL tears and moderate knee joint effusion. I am not facing any knee instability, but the swelling on the knee persist and I feel pain occasionally. Since reconstruction surgery takes to recover nearly 6 months and above, I do not want a surgery and ask of you is there any alternative or surgery is must.

I am 25 years old and pursuing my doctral degree. My MRI ...
Hi Mr. lybrate-user considering your Signs and Symptoms I recommend to go for ACL Reconstruction Surgery as no scope of recovery to Acl years in Evidence based Science as of now. For Swelling of knee you need to do Strengthening exercises for knee. Apply cool pack, Appropriate Knee brace, Avoid movements which strain your knee. If your activities of lifestyle demands more of knee work like sports activity of stair walk then I strongly recommend to go for ACL Reconstruction. Post Operative ACL Teconstruction rehab will be for next one month for ADL's 3 Months for light Sports Activity & 6 Months for heavy Sports activity. Please don't hesitate to contact me for any clarification above provided information.
There is no conservative way to heel the ACL. U can try physio and quadriceps exercise which heals the pain and swelling to quite an extent. Yes if you do not have laxity and you do not have problem in running and stairs, then you can wait else surgery is the best choice.