Summary: (Source: Center for Disease Control and Prevention)
• Cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States. This is nearly one in five deaths.
• More than 10 times as many U.S. citizens have died prematurely from cigarette smoking than have died in all the wars fought by the United States during its history.
• Smoking causes about 90% (or 9 out of 10) of all lung cancer deaths in men and women.1,2 More women die from lung cancer each year than from breast cancer.
• About 80% (or 8 out of 10) of all deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are caused by smoking.
• Cigarette smoking increases risk for death from all causes in men and women.
• Smoking is estimated to increase the risk—
o For coronary heart disease by 2 to 4 times
o For stroke by 2 to 4 times
o Of men developing lung cancer by 25 times
• Of women developing lung cancer by 25.7 times
• Smoking causes diminished overall health, increased absenteeism from work, and increased health care utilization and cost.
• Smoking causes stroke and coronary heart disease.
• Even people who smoke fewer than five cigarettes a day can have early signs of cardiovascular disease.
• Smoking damages blood vessels and can make them thicken and grow narrower. This makes your heart beat faster and your blood pressure go up. Clots can also form.
• Blockages caused by smoking can also reduce blood flow to your legs and skin.
• Lung diseases caused by smoking include COPD, which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
• Cigarette smoking causes most cases of lung cancer.
• If you have asthma, tobacco smoke can trigger an attack or make an attack worse.
• Smokers are 12 to 13 times more likely to die from COPD than nonsmokers.
Smoking can cause cancer almost anywhere in your body:
3 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.
Book appointment with top doctors for Smoking treatment