Sir. My father had a swelling on his left parotid gland a month ago. The doctor had a doubt that it might be a tumour and preferred a niddle test after his course of medications was over. Upon ultrasound scanning it was found that the gland was slightly enlarged. He took the medicines for 15 days and the disease was cured. Now he complains of having pain in his jaws since last week out of which the LEFT side seems to be more painful. As he had been consuming beetle nuts ,pan masala and alcohol for quite a long time, the doctor said that it is a oral submucous fibrosis and has prescribed him medicines for the same. He now worries that something might be associated with the parotid gland problem. Is their anything to worry.

Sir.
My father had a swelling on his left parotid gland a...
Firstly parotid gland and sub mucus fibrosis are two different diseases. Parotid gland is affected by infection, tumor but not by OSMF. The pain and swelling on swelling on left side could be because of parotid gland infection. If you are still in doubt the next test can be MRI scan. As far as Sub mucus fibrosis, a progressive non painful condition caused by tobacco betel nut chewing with characteristic features of reduced mouth opening, burning sensation with spicy food. It’s a precancerous condition. The patient must lay off his habits, chillies spicy food and the medication has a limited role in curing the fibrous bands already formed. The surgical option is exercised when the disease is too severe. My advise is to rule out parotid gland disease first and stop all habits tobacco, alcohol, spicy fried boiling hot food and take medication for SMF.