My father is 89 years old and is suffering from stomach cancer. Cancer was detected about 40 days ago after endoscopy and biopsy. The treating doctor (gastroenterologist) says that there is no point in going for treatment and advised us to go for palliative care. At present the pain is minimal. In case the pain increases and other symptoms like fullness in stomach, vomiting, bloating, difficulty in swallowing and other symptoms get aggravated, he may require palliative care. Please help me in locating a palliative care unit / doctor in Bhubaneswar with specialisation in giving palliative care to stomach cancer patients. With regards.

Please get advice from the oncologist. No age is contraindication for curative treatment if possible otherwise palliative treatment can be given by your family physician. This treatment is a symptomatic treatment and cannot continue for long time. Palliative treatment may involve even surgery as well. So oncologist opinion should be sought.