Lybrate.com has top trusted Pediatricians from across India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sharath
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. SharathYour feedback matters!
Clubfoot is a birth defect affecting babies and is characterized by deformity of the foot. A baby with clubfoot has his/her foot twisted. It can affect one or both the feet, which point inwards and may even appear upside down. The condition can affect one in 1,000 babies where the baby is normal and healthy otherwise. Depending on the severity of the condition, your baby will experience difficulty in walking or limping.
The foot or feet appear twisted or crooked due to shorter tissues that connect the muscles to bones. Doctors do not know the exact cause of the tendons and tissues being shorter than the typical length. However, there are certain known factors that increase the risk of clubfoot in babies. They are:
- Family history- A baby is more likely to have a clubfoot if both or one of the parents has clubfoot.
- Congenital conditions- If your baby is born with a medical condition like spina bifida, he/she may have clubfoot as one of the symptoms.
- Lifestyle choices- A person who smokes during pregnancy and has a family history of clubfoot, is at greater risk of giving birth to a baby with clubfoot.
- Less amniotic fluid- Amniotic fluid surrounds the fetus in the womb. Therefore, low level of amniotic fluid may increase the chance of clubfoot in your baby.
The clubfoot does not cause any pain to your baby when he or she is small. However, it will cause difficulties once the child grows up and starts to walk. The condition has been seen to affect more males than females and needs proper treatment.
Your doctor will able to spot and detect clubfoot in your baby during an ultrasound session and will prepare you for the same. Once your baby is born, his or her treatment can begin immediately. The standard treatment for clubfoot is called the Ponseti method. The Ponseti method is divided into stages that include-
- Casting- As babies have tender and soft tendons that can easily bend and be stretched, the doctor manipulates the foot into the correct position and puts a cast on it to keep it in place. This process continues for a few week. After the first few days, the previous cast is removed and the foot is put in a new position and is again put in a cast; this goes on for the next couple of weeks.
- Surgery- When the final casting comes off, a small surgery is performed to loosen the Achilles tendon at the back of the ankle. The procedure is generally performed under local anesthesia.
- Shoe Brace- After a successful surgery, your baby is required to wear a special type of shoe brace that is attached to his/her leg with a bar. This is required for preventing the recurrence of clubfoot. Your baby needs to wear the shoe brace for at least 3 months after surgery and after that, wearing the shoe brace only during nighttime till the age of 4-5 years should suffice.
However, if the Ponseti method does not yield the desired results, major surgery is carried out at the age of 6 months and one year. In clubfoot cases, there is a 20 percent chance of recurrence that needs to be treated again with casting and surgery.
All babies treated with the Ponseti method go on to have a normal childhood and learn to walk and play like other healthy children.
1. AtoZ woman tablet (multivitamin, multimineral with natural extract capsules) 2.Pentids 800 3. Actiheal-D (trypsin, bromelain trihydrate and diclofenac sodium tablet) 4.Folitrax 7.5 All this tablets are fine for breastfeeding lady. please reply.
Hi my son is 17 days old jab woh toilet karne ke samay bohat rota hai and pressure bhi deta hai aisa kyu ho raha hai.
Hi Dr. My daughter is 11months old now. Can you please suggest and advice what all can be give in her diet in what which baby will get all nutritional to grow. please Advise a diet chat to 11 months baby.
My newborn baby girl 25 days. From tonight she is continuously crying. Whenever we lay her on bed for sleep. But keep silent and sleep when placed in mother lap. Is she is suffering from any problem. We are in tense condition due to such behaviour of her. Please advise.
A brain disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is characterized by a continuous pattern of hyperactivity and inattention, resulting in interference with normal development and functioning. The term is applied to both adults and children who exhibit these two characteristics over a long period of time. The condition is usually discovered during a child's early school years, between the third and sixth year (during which he or she may display problems associated with attention) and can go on into adulthood. Although medications are available under western medical science for treating this condition, they aren't free from any side effects.
Which remedies are generally used for treating ADHD?
Homeopathic remedies can help in easing some of the symptoms of this condition, making it easy for children to take part in normal school and social activities. A homeopath prescribes the relevant remedies after having a clear understanding of your characteristics. Some of the medicines that are used for treating the condition are Cina, Hyoscyamus Niger and Stramonium. While Cina is prescribed for alleviating aggressive behavior, Stramonium is recommended for treating fears or PTSD and Hyoscyamus Niger for sexualized or manic symptoms. But the one remedy that is most preferred for treating the varied symptoms of ADHD is Tarentula Hispana.
How is homeopathy different from conventional medicine?
When it comes to the homeopathic treatment approach for ADHD, it differs from conventional western medicine in two very different ways. Firstly, the treatment is personalized to suit your needs and health condition. For this reason, the remedy that is suggested to you differs from the one that is suggested to another individual. Such an approach allows a homeopath to better help you by addressing your specific symptoms compared to the conventional treatment of ADHD. Secondly, it treats the condition using smaller doses of the remedies and not higher doses so as to not aggravate the symptoms of ADHD.
In addition to being safe and non-toxic, when these homeopathic remedies are taken along with dietary modifications and lifestyle changes, they can bring about vital improvements in your health. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.