Lybrate.com has top trusted Orthopedists from across India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Satish Bobade
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Satish BobadeYour feedback matters!
If you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, you may be at a high risk of developing Carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a very painful condition in which the hands and wrists are affected. The Carpal tunnel refers to a structure which is formed by the bones present in the wrist and the surrounding connective tissues, through which the nerves and tendons controlling the thumb movement pass. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the connective tissues get swollen because of inflammation and the nerves passing through the tunnel are crowded and squeezed.
Ways to get relief from Carpal tunnel syndrome:
Here are some common ways by which a patient with Rheumatoid arthritis can get relief from any discomfort caused due to Carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Get your Rheumatoid arthritis treated. Carpal tunnel syndrome is commonly caused because of an underlying sickness such as rheumatoid arthritis. Medicines such as disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs are used to manage the condition and for reducing inflammation which causes carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Getting enough rest is also very important. You must avoid using that hand or wrist, which has been affected for some weeks. This will allow the inflamed tissue to heal.
- You may wear a wrist splinter. A splint is suggested for resting your wrist therefore, it is kept in a neutral position. It can be worn during the day or when you are sleeping.
- You can take prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for pain relief. These also help in reducing the swelling of tissues within the carpal tunnel.
- A Cortisone shot may also be effective for easing the carpal tunnel syndrome. These steroid injections are given directly into the carpal tunnel. You will be able to get temporary relief from pain.
- A set of Carpal tunnel exercises have been developed by doctors. These are designed for stretching the wrists and for keeping them limber. You must perform these exercises on a regular basis for best results. Yoga is also effective for easing carpal tunnel syndrome. Performing regular yoga will help you to improve your wrist pain. The upper joints of the body are strengthened.
- Take breaks at work on a regular basis. By changing your position and taking short breaks, your Carpal tunnel symptoms are bound to improve. This is more essential for people who do a job where great stress is placed on the wrists. If you are into typing, you need to take breaks and stretch your wrists.
There are several alternative therapies for easing carpal tunnel syndrome, which are being studied and researched on. They include the likes of acupuncture, chiropractic care, magnets, botox treatments and vitamin B6 supplements. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a pain management specialist.
My grandmother got a fracture in spine D12. Should she go for Operation or for medicines. Her age is 58 years and she is also a diabetic patient. Kindly help me out please.
I have injured my right hand finger in accident. please tell me how to protect my finger to infection.
Movement of the human body is possible through various joints which work in coordination to allow for smooth painless movement. However, with age, these muscles and tendons undergo wear and tear which gradually leads to tender swollen joints and painful movement.
The knee is the largest human joint and most of the body movements (walking, running, squatting, sitting, etc.) are only possible because of the flexible knee cap. Whether with age or with injury or trauma, if the knee is affected, then total knee replacement (TKR) would be required.
Indications: With a success rate of almost 98%, knee replacement almost seems magical for arthritis patients.
Wear and tear of the knee leading to arthritis. This causes all knee movements to be painful, which can be especially distressing at night.
Injury or trauma where the knee joint is damaged beyond repair.
What to expect during surgery?
- Once it is decided that surgery is required, the doctor will brief you on what to expect before, during, and after the surgery.
- The operation is done under combined signal epidural anaesthesia, so 3 days admission is required in the hospital.
- The damaged portion of the knee is removed and this is replaced with an implant which is made up of titanium and cobalt chromium.
- Hospital stay can vary from 3 to 5 days depending on overall condition of the person.
- Most patients will be able to do basic movement on the very next day of the surgery.
- Ice pack and painkillers can be applied to control swelling.
- The pain will be completely gone within 15 days.
- In the beginning, walking with the support of parallel bars is advised (walker). This can be followed by the use of cane for the first few days to avoid overload and damage to the knees.
- Most people can walk the next day, though it is advisable to use a cane for the first few weeks so that knee can strengthen to support the load.
- Regular postoperative visits should be scheduled for up to 2 months after surgery.
- In addition, it is extremely important to draw up an exercise regimen and follow it to sustain and improve mobility.
- In the absence of regular exercise, there could be stiffness of the joint which can set in and further aggravate the situation
- Driving is permissible only after the doctor's advice.
Let your doctor know before going for any surgical procedure (including dental work) as people with TKR should have antibiotic coverage before any procedure.