Lybrate.com has top trusted General Physicians from across India. You will find General Physicians with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prashant Mahajan
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Prashant MahajanYour feedback matters!
I am having fungal infection for many months. It's is been spreading around my neck, underarms area and around my vaginal area and buttock area too can you suggest me some medicine for that.
Hi, my menses held on 3rd April and we had sex in morning of 12 April. I have taken i-pill in evening of 13 April. Though I missed my period in May. Later when checked on 7 may with pregnancy kit. It showed positive. I just wanted to know what precaution we would have taken to avoid pregnancy. Why I got pregnant though have taken i-pill. Which time we can have open sex to avoid pregnancy.
Endocrinology deals with hormones, hormone systems and hormonal disorders. The organs that come under endocrinology are pituitary gland, adrenal glands, ovaries or testicles, thyroid gland and pancreas. These organs maintain the chemical balance of the body by secreting hormones which regulate all the body systems.
Relation between the endocrine system and diabetes:
The hormone insulin is secreted by the pancreatic beta cells called the islets of Langerhans. It is a peptide hormone that metabolizes carbohydrates, proteins and fats, stimulates the conversion of glycogen or stored protein to usable glucose and also helps the body cells to absorb the glucose. The movement of ionized or free calcium (Ca2+) is also somewhat dependent on insulin.
Insulin is secreted from the pancreas in two phases - the first phase occurs when blood sugar level is high and need to be absorbed into the cells while the second phase is associated with a slower production not influenced by blood sugar.
Types of diabetes and how they are affected by the endocrine system
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus: This condition is caused by underproduction of insulin by the pancreatic beta cells. It is called 'insulin dependent diabetes mellitus' (IDDM), since it is directly influenced by the hormone.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus: This type of the disorder is not directly dependent on insulin. It is usually caused by obesity and lack of physical exercise. The cells develop resistance to insulin and because of that blood sugar is not absorbed properly. This eventually leads to under-secretion of insulin.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus: Pregnant women might develop high levels of blood sugar even if they did not have diabetes in the past. This occurs due the changes in the regular hormonal cycles and secretion of pregnancy hormones and can result is complications and miscarriage.
Sub-specialties of diabetic endocrinology
- Diabetic renal disease: The kidneys filter the blood. If there are chronically high levels of sugar in blood, hormones like erythropoietin (regulates production of red blood cells) and renin (regulates blood plasma and fluid content) are not produced. As a result, the kidneys' capacity is reduced and waste materials build up in blood.
- Diabetic vision problems: Insulin problems may cause the blood vessels supplying the retina (light sensitive eye tissue) to expand or contract. This causes blurry and distorted vision and pain in the eyes.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 21. I masturbate twice a week. And from past one week I see that my sperms colour is bit yellowish. Is there any problem? Is that is a symptom of something? Is it healthy to masturbate twice a week or should I avoid masturbation? And I exercise daily. And does masturbation have any effect to my growth since energy get wasted during masturbation? Please answer to all my questions. Thank you.
I am 24 years female I have trigeminal neuralgia .i was under ayurvedic treatment for 2 months and there was no pain for nearly 3 months .now again pain started .we are planning for pregnancy .doctor prescribed me bala thailam and dhanwandhram 101 capsules is it safe? Can I take it while planning?
I am suffering for ulcer ser 20 year few times I went endoscopy. Offer reports I used pylori Kit fee days relief again problem same. please permanent solution?
I am 4 month pregnant women and I'm suffering from heavy cold, headache (migraine) and throat infected also from last two days. Right now I'm not able to walk also. please refer me what medicine I should take.
Around three percent of the world population is affected by the chronic skin disorder Psoriasis, which is triggered by an overactive immune system. Primarily affecting adults, the most common type of the condition is plaque psoriasis and is seen in people suffering from high blood sugar, heart disorders, and obesity.
The symptoms of the disease may vary from one individual to another, and the most common ones include red skin, scaling of the skin, and flakes coming out of areas such as knees, elbows, and scalp.
Understanding the condition
Psoriasis can be of various types, plaque psoriasis, guttate psoriasis, and inverse psoriasis to mention a few. When the entire surface of the skin is affected by the condition, it is called erythrodermic psoriasis while palmoplantar psoriasis affects the palms and causes sores. Nail psoriasis causes yellow pitted nails which are often misdiagnosed with nail fungus.
In recent times, it has been found that people with psoriasis tend to have high blood sugar, high blood lipids, and different types of cardiovascular diseases. Around forty percent of the Psoriasis patients also experience symptoms of arthritis such as inflammation in the joints. In such cases, the disease is termed as psoriatic arthritis.
- Psoriasis is a chronic, inflammatory skin disease.
- Psoriasis is related to inherited genes in some cases.
- The most common form of psoriasis is plaque psoriasis.
- Diabetes, obesity, and heart disease are common in people with psoriasis.
- Psoriasis is not contagious.
- Psoriasis can be initiated by certain environmental triggers.
- Psoriasis gets better and worse spontaneously and can have periodic remissions (clear skin).
- Psoriasis is controllable with medication.
Know the signs of psoriasis
Patients suffering from psoriasis may experience symptoms such as
- Itchy skin of knees, scalp, or whichever area is infected.
- White scales on the skin.
- In case the nails are affected, they will become discolored and separate easily from nail bed.
- In case of pustular psoriasis, the patient will have tint skin pustulates with cracked and scaly skin.
- Redness of skin.
What are the common types of psoriasis?
- Guttate Psoriasis - Commonly affects children and young adults, but the total rate is less than 2%. People affected by affected by it displays symptoms such as pink or red spots. It mostly affects the thighs, upper arms and scalp area.
- Inverse Psoriasis - This type of psoriasis showcases red but smooth and shiny scaleless skin. It mostly affects areas such as groin, armpits, skin folds and area under the breast.
- Plaque Psoriasis - The most common type of psoriasis is the plague type and displays symptoms such as red skin with silvery and white scales. Lower back, elbows, knees, and scalp are some of the areas affected by it.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis - This is the least common type of psoriasis, however, is the most serious type. Severe itching of the skin along with peeling and burning sensation are some of the signs of this type of psoriasis
- Pustular Psoriasis - Again, a not so common type of psoriasis and mostly affects adults and is not infectious in nature. It can lead to a fast heartbeat, fever, chills, nausea along with muscle weakness.
What can cause Psoriasis?
The exact cause of psoriasis cannot be pinpointed. Various elements ranging from genetic predisposition to environmental factors can be involved in causing the disease. It is found that psoriasis affects individuals of the same family even though it is not contagious.
Psoriasis may also be caused when immune system regulation becomes defective, where the white blood cells known as T cells start targeting the healthy cells instead of attacking unwanted foreign substances. Even though so many factors have come to the fore, the precise cause of psoriasis is still not known.
Some effective treatment options are:
- Topical treatments that include salicylic acid ointment, steroid-based creams, and use of ointments containing Vitamin D and Vitamin A.
- Light therapy – Doctors may prescribe PUVA or PUVB which can help in treating Psoriasis. Also, the narrow-band UVB therapy is considered to be more effective.
- Oral and injectable drugs – Several medications that include Methotrexate, oral retinoids, and biologics that control immune response of the body are used to treat Psoriasis when other treatments fail to improve the condition.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Although self-help measures won't cure psoriasis, they may help improve the appearance and feel of damaged skin. These measures may benefit you:
- Take daily baths.
- Use moisturizer.
- Expose your skin to small amounts of sunlight.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
Several treatments are available to manage the condition however, the disease is chronic, and the symptoms can be best managed with the assistance of a dermatologist. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!