Lybrate.com has top trusted Pediatricians from across India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Kapase
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. KapaseYour feedback matters!
Hello Doctors, My Son born on 10th APR-2016 with weight of 1.96 Kg with 34 Weeks 6 Days as Late Pre Term and from that day onwards we used to feed him both DBF PRE-NAN and the same PRE-NAN still we are continuing with 30 ml every 2 hrs other than the DBF. So my question here is that, is it ok to continue with PRE-NAN or something else need to change? Because now my kid is with 38 Weeks 3 Days. Kindly suggest. Thanks.
Hi Sir, Could you please suggest me diet chart of 1.5 year old baby? Can we give small amount of junior kids horlicks stage 1 in milk? Can we give rasna and real fruit juice to baby?
My son is two years and seven months old. He is having stomach infection from last three days. Stool is very loose and fever is coming again n again. For loose motion I gave azee, econorm sachet, ors. It seems to be fine now. He has not pooped since yesterday but fever is coming again and again, though I am giving him dolo250 for fever. Until yesterday, fever did not crossed 100 but today it crossed 101. Kindly advise.
Sir, I have twins (Girl & Boy) born on 02.05. 2015 (6 months + age). Whether it is good to feed them Oat meal to them? In what way it is better to prepare OAT meal? Only Boiling & after softening the OAT with water, adding milk product (Pro Nan 2), meal ready for baby. Is it safe method? Is OAT healthy to 6 month + age baby?
Hi I am mother of 5 month 22 days boy baby. Still my baby head neck shoulder not steady please help me what can I do. His 7.5 kgs.
How Long To Breastfeed To Get Benefits?
There is no fixed duration to breastfeed. When considering the duration you wish to feed your baby, do take note of the following points:
Exclusive till six months: Pediatric and medical experts throughout the globe recommend exclusive breastfeeding up to six months and then breastfeeding in combination with solid food for up to 12 months.
Continue after 12 months: The AAP recommends breastfeeding beyond the first birthday and encourages mothers to do so. A toddler may get most of his nutrition from solid food, but he still enjoys added benefits of breastmilk that contains unique substances such as antibodies.
Can extend to two years and beyond: The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends breastfeeding up to two years and even beyond if the mother and toddler wish to do so. WHO states that breastmilk is a “natural food”. Even when the baby is a year-and-a-half old, breastmilk is capable of providing a third of the toddler’s nutritional requirements.
What Are The Benefits Of Breastfeeding For The Mother?
Here are some scientifically proven benefits of breastfeeding a baby.
While your baby benefits from the breastmilk, you gain health advantages as well.
- Quick postpartum recovery: Mothers who breast-feed recover faster post-delivery even if it is a Cesarean-section. It happens because suckling of the nipples releases the hormone oxytocin, which speeds the recovery of the uterus, letting it regain its original shape.
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy fat: Producing milk uses additional calories that body sources from the body fat accumulated during pregnancy. It means, mothers, who exclusively breastfeed, tend to return to their pre-pregnancy shape and weight faster.
- Lower risk of breast and ovarian cancers: The chances of getting breast and ovarian cancers are lower in women who breastfeed. Researchers found that a woman can reduce her risk of breast cancer by 50% if she breastfed for two years in life. Other studies noted a reduced chance of having ovarian cancer if the mother breastfed at least for a year. These benefits last a lifetime thus making breastfeeding a form of natural health insurance for a woman.
- Lowers the risk of high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes: Extensive research has proven that when you breastfeed, you invariably reduce the chance of developing hypertension (high blood pressure), cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack, and type 2 diabetes.
As a parent, we all love our children deeply. And most of us will agree that these days parenting is very demanding and exhausting instead of pleasurable and joyous process. What has changed? It is not that children are any different. The difference is in the environment around them with stronger social influences; and this also affects the way we parent. In today's more democratic and egalitarian world; 'Do as I say and not as I do' style of parenting does not work. But, 'I will do as I see you doing' phrase from kids define our parent child relationship.
With change in social environment and influence, our strategies for correcting their behaviour and impart discipline has to undergo adaptation! When there are so many confusing and conflicting signals reach to our kids from their environment, whether we like it or not, we are still their role models. How positive parenting style will help? The core principle of positive parenting is to accept your child as an individual. We are in a democratic society and family is a small yet important part of society. Democracy does not mean allowing disrespectful and irresponsible behaviour; rather to effectively help kids change their behaviour and create harmonious and cooperative relationship with them. It also means that we as a parent need to learn to think, act and react in a different way.
Through, positive parenting, you will learn respectful disciplining methods, which would work better than demanding compliance. Through these principles and tips you will get your child to listen without screaming, nagging, reminding or evoking rebellious behaviour. More importantly this is all about building stronger relationship bond with your children and nurture them through early childhood to teen age years as they become independent, responsible, capable, kind, happy and successful young adults.
Tips to get you started:
- Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, including children.
- When your kid misbehaves instead of shouting or hitting, control your anger and respond in a calm and respectful way. Calmer but firmer tone and lower voice, yet not giving into their repeated demand, is much more effective as a discipline tool compare to nagging.
- Understandable that you have a lot on your plate, such as work, managing and keeping the home in order, managing meals and other outside responsibilities, kids sports or extracurricular activities, family obligations and so on. It is easy to get lost in all these 'have to do' activities. Parenting shouldn't be just one more task to deal with. Reconnecting with your parenting goals and aspirations periodically will help take the stress out of it and add fun into it. Spend some time daily (10 minutes will do as well!) to just listen and enjoy your child (without correcting them or giving them suggestion to improve!).
- Let your love for them be the driving force. Shift your internal conversations from 'have to' to 'want to'. As you do enormous things for your child each day, think how you are supporting their ambitions. How you are helping them become independent and strong. How you are nurturing qualities like compassion and deep listening by extending yourself.
- Give promises and keep them. As your children grow they need much more than your words to trust and rely on you. Keeping your promises, letting them know if you need to change the plan, taking their opinion in appropriate matter will go a long way.
- Seek to understand and do not impose yourself on your child. Especially when they are in their teenage, as a parent you have lot of worries, you are afraid of them making mistakes and of course you want to protect them from vices. Listening to them while keeping your focus on genuinely understanding them is the only way to go, when they know you understand them and they can trust you, the street between both of you turns two way street! They will be open to your wisdom and suggestion when they are at the cross road.
- Last but not the least, 'be a role model'. Don't preach. If they see you disrespecting others, they will not respect you. If they see you hooked on your smart phone; that is their license to keep theirs in front of their eyes 24/7. If you are hooked in front of the TV till late night and haven't picked up a book in last 6 months. Advice about reading is going to fall on dumb ears. In short, be the change you want to see in your children.
- Have family nights at least once in a week, play cards, board games or go for a walk together. Talk and listen. Just be there and listen without judgement and criticism, without thinking about how to correct them. Just enjoy each other's company and see how they are changing their opinion about you. Positive parenting doesn't mean you will never have problems in your family. You will? if you are alive and growing family. Positive parenting style will open up the avenues to keep communication alive; it will open your children to your influence. Isn't it something that we all wish for!! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.