Lybrate.com has top trusted General Physicians from across India. You will find General Physicians with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anjali
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. AnjaliYour feedback matters!
Hi I am 53 years, male, weight 40 kg, height 5 ft 9 inch. Diabetic detected in 1997. Last 15 years under medication, diabetic diet, exercise. Carbophage sr 1000 (night); glucobay m50 (after lunch) are taking daily. A skin problem is observed for last 10 months, toady skin. Urea 10 is applying. Present blood report; sugar (fasting) 115sugar (pp) (without taking medicine) - 232hba1c - 6. 75hb - 13. 3present symptoms: dizziness, weakness, mental unrest, sexually inert.
Before you are affected by diabetes, a condition known as pre-diabetes is experienced, which indicates that a person might develop diabetes soon. In case you have pre-diabetes, your blood sugar level will be higher than the usual, but not as much as during diabetes. The condition is called borderline diabetes. During pre-diabetes, the production of insulin hormone gets decreased. You are more likely to get heart diseases and a stroke because of pre-diabetes.
Diagnosis There are three primary blood tests, which are used for the diagnosis of pre-diabetes:
- Fasting plasma glucose test
- You should not eat anything for eight hours before this blood test.
- Blood sugar level is considered normal when it is less than 100.
- If your blood sugar level is between 100 and 125, you are in the pre-diabetes stage.
- If your blood sugar level is above 125, you are diagnosed with diabetes.
- Oral glucose tolerance test
- First, you need to have a fasting glucose test done and drink a sugary solution (75 gm glucose dissolve in water) after it. After two hours, another blood test is taken.
- Blood sugar level is considered normal when it is lesser than 140.
- If your blood sugar level is between 140 and 199, you are in the pre-diabetes stage.
- If your blood sugar level is above 200, you are diagnosed with diabetes.
- Hemoglobin A1C
- This blood test shows the average blood sugar level for three to four months in the past. It helps to check whether pre-diabetes is in control or not.
- Blood sugar level is considered normal when it is 5.6%.
- If your blood sugar level is between 5.7% and 6.4%, you are in the pre-diabetes stage.
- If your blood sugar level is 6.5% or above, you are diagnosed with diabetes.
- The test should be redone for checking or verifying the results.
Lifestyle changes required for managing pre-diabetes Lifestyle changes may help people in managing pre-diabetes and for preventing it from developing into diabetes. Here are some changes and habits you need to practice:
- Weight control: If you are obese and overweight, the pre-diabetes may turn into diabetes. Hence, losing some amount of body weight, at least 5% to 10%, makes quite a difference.
- Exercise: You should perform moderate exercises regularly, such as swimming, cycling or walking briskly. This helps in the management of pre-diabetes. Aerobic exercise increases the heart rate and should be carried out for better benefits.
- Nutrition: You must make some dietary changes as well. Consume food items, which contain low-fat protein. Eat a lot of vegetables and whole grains, limit your calorie intake and reduce the amount of sugar and starchy carbohydrates. Increase your intake of fiber-rich food.
If you experience a rise in your blood sugar levels, you must consult a doctor immediately. With early diagnosis, you can take preventive measures and will be able to prevent pre-diabetes from developing into diabetes. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!