Doctor in KEM Hospital - Pune
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for KEM Hospital - PuneYour feedback matters!
A kidney stone may not be as big as the stones in your garden but can be quite a pain. Kidney stones are actually mineral crystals formed that are usually a combination of calcium and phosphates. The size of a kidney stone ranges from the size of a sugar crystal to a ping pong ball. While some kidney stones pass out of the body with urine, others can block the urethra and become painful.
In addition to being painful, a kidney stone can cause permanent damage to your kidneys. Since large kidney stones are usually painful, they rarely go undiagnosed. However, if a kidney stone is left untreated, it could cause the kidney to atrophy and lower the functionality of the kidney. Kidney stones that are related to an infection can also lead to chronic urinary tract infections and damage the kidney through scarring and inflammation. This could eventually lead to kidney failure.
Not all kidney stones need to be treated with surgery. Of the kidney stone is very small, your doctor may prescribe plenty of water and medication to treat the pain. With plenty of water, you should be able to pass the stone in your urine. Ideally, you should take plenty of rest until the stone is passed.
Larger kidney stones may need you to be hospitalized for treatment. These are:
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)
To begin this form of treatment, a painkiller is administered. Ultrasonic waves are used to determine the location of the kidney stone. Shock waves are then passed though the kidney stone to break it into smaller pieces. These can then be passed out of the body through urine.
This is also called retrograde intrarenal surgery and is performed when the kidney stone is stuck in the ureter. A ureteroscope is passed through the urethra and bladder into the ureter. Laser energy may then be used to break the stone into smaller pieces to unblock the ureter.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL)
This surgery is performed under general anesthesia. It involves a small incision being made in the back and a nephroscope passed into the kidney through it. Laser or pneumatic energy is then used to break up the stone into smaller pieces and pull them out.
- Open surgery
Open surgery is performed only in the case of an abnormally large stone or abnormal anatomy of the person. An incision is made in the back that allows the doctor to access the kidney and manually remove the stone.
Measures to be taken before surgery for fast recovery from Abdominal Surgery.
- Take regular walks several times daily to prevent blood clots and help the bowels moving.
- Avoid climbing the stairs every day, at least for the first ten days.
- Avoid strenuous exercise such as lifting, carrying, pulling, or moving heavy objects (more than 5 pounds) until your surgeon advises as it may open the sutures due to pressure. Avoid lifting anything over a certain weight for at least six weeks after your operation.
- Maintaining a good posture will help your wound heal correctly. Use a comfortable pillow while sitting to give rest to the operated site.
- Take good sleep and proper rest for a quick recovery as most of the repair and healing occurs during sleep.
- Avoid straining with bowel movements by eating a high-fiber diet or taking stool softeners to avoid constipation.
- An abdominal binder can also help with the recovery process. These help keep everything in place and can decrease the possibility of a hernia.
- A gradual return to work may be advised because sudden resume to work may cause opening of sutures and delay the process of healing.
- Use table that easily wheels away from the bed but can also straddle the bed. This will allow you to read, use the computer, and eat without putting any pressure on your stomach or twisting around.
- Cough and sneeze carefully by applying pressure to the incision with your hands or a pillow to avoid reopening of the surgical incision.
- Improper dressing or not maintaining hygiene during dressing and keeping dressing unchanged for a longer period of time may lead to infection which may cause delayed healing. Thus, in order to prevent this a gentle wash with soap and water is required to avoid infection.
- A protein-rich diet should be consumed in order to hasten wound healing.
- Have a liquid diet with lots of vitamins as vitamin C and zinc help with healing. Also, include B12 and Iron – as both aid bone marrow in forming new blood cells.
- Intake of Fiber and probiotics help boost the immune system and also keeps your digestive tract moving along.
- Have plenty of water-this will help the recovery process and removal of toxins from the body.
- Try sitting in the sunlight as it will help with getting some extra Vitamin D.
- Keep control over sugar levels if you are diabetic as increased levels of sugar in the blood helps bacteria to grow rapidly. This will further lead to infection and delay the process of healing.
Ergonomics to prevent body pain With a constant increase in the use of computers, desk jobs are becoming more and more common in the current job trends. Individuals are confined to their cubicles and it becomes customary to spend 8 to 10 hours daily on an average seated on the chair.
This trend of desk jobs has rendered the routine human lifestyle to become sedentary and thus, a rise in health issues has been observed. Right from metabolic diseases to posture related problems, various diseases and disorders are affecting the world population. Body pain is one of the most common problems that people suffer from.
Although pain can be very discomforting and can be considered as a negative symptom, it is a kind of a signal body gives us at the start of any health issue.
Etiological factors like lack of an active lifestyle, tedious working hours, improper posture, and lack of adequate rest are triggers for body pain. The symptom of body ache is no longer associated only with the older age group, since the working community belongs to a middle aged group. Young people tend to suffer from chronic back pain since their work routine involves long hours of sitting at a single place, without many breaks. Also, people undergoing strenuous work hours become a target for chronic body pain.
To overcome this health problem, certain simple measures can be undertaken for prevention. The term ergonomics suggests the interaction of the environment with the occupation of the person. Management and adaptability to the environment with respect to the health concerns of the working professionals is looked after in ergonomics which ensures an enhancement in the quality of life for the workforce in a working environment.
The goals of ergonomics can be enlisted as follows –
1. Work related illness should be prevented
2. Workplace productivity should be increased
3. Quality of work should be improved
4. Work environment should not be detrimental to the physical as well as mental health of the working professionals.
Work ergonomics that are beneficial for people employed at a desk job are as follows:
1. The desktop should be placed at the distance of an arm’s length. Eye level of the operator should be at the apex level of the desktop’s screen.
2. Arms should be allowed to move freely and be able to rest on the arm rest of the chair.
3. Shrugging of the shoulders should be avoided.
4. Back rest of the chair should be used for support. The back rest of the chair should be present up to the shoulder and should be designed in a way that it is angled at a right angle to the sitting surface.
5. A convexity should be present in the lower back area of the chair for better support while sitting.
6. The chair height should be adjusted in a way that the knees form a right angle. Feet should touch the floor and not dangle in the air.
7. During typing or while using the computer’s mouse, wrist should be kept at a neutral position.
8. Back posture should be checked every hour and corrected if faulty.
9. A small break of 5-10 minutes should be taken at an interval of 2-3 hours to change position. Walking around and stretching the body helps relax the muscles.
10. When a laptop is in use, it should be placed on a stand in a way that the screen is placed in front of the operator’s eyes. To determine whether a person’s posture is correct or not, a physical therapist can be consulted. Maintaining a correct posture is very important to avoid suffering from a back ache.
People who suffer from conditions affecting the spine should seek expert opinion for maintaining their posture and avoiding spine related complications. The postural muscles play an important role in maintaining the body’s posture for long hours. Exercises that are targeting to enhance the strength of these muscles can help to build up adequate muscle strength.
Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis also known as juvenile idiopathic arthritis is a commonly occurring arthritis in children under the age of 15. Some common problems that are faced by patients with this disease include stiffness, joint pain, and swelling. While the symptoms might persist for a few months for some patients, for others it might continue for the rest of their lives. Patients might face serious complications such as inflammation of the eye, problems related to growth etc. The treatment of this condition focuses on preventing the bones from getting damaged, pain control and improving the function of the body.
What are some of the common symptoms of juvenile arthritis?
- Pain: A child suffering from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis might face extreme pain in the joints. They might limp after a nap or night sleep due to pain or stiff joints.
- Swelling: Larger joints such as the knee might swell frequently. The swelling might occur in smaller joints too.
- Stiffness: In addition to limping the child might appear rough and clumsy after waking from night sleep or a nap.
What are the causes of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis occurs when the immune system of the body attacks its own tissues and cells. It is still unclear as to why it happens, although, researchers believe that the environment and heredity have a role to play. Certain geneticmutations might make a childmore vulnerable and susceptible to microbes that can trigger this condition.
What are the complications involved?
There could be several complications that might arise due to this condition. It is, therefore, wise to keep a close watch on the child. Seeking immediate medical attention can go a long way in mitigating the risk of these complications.
- Problems related to the eye: Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis can damage the eye by causing an inflammation known as uveitis. If this condition is not treated, it might result in other conditions such as glaucoma, cataracts, blindness etc.
- Growth problems: Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis could result in growth problems. To treat this, a child would require a dose of corticosteroid.
It is not very easy to diagnose juvenile arthritis. Doctors often prescribe blood tests to get an idea of erythrocyte sedimentation rate, rheumatoid factor, C-reactive protein, anti-nuclear antibody, cyclic citrullinated peptide etc. A doctor might also prescribe imaging tests such as X-rays, MRI etc to detect congenital defects, fractures, tumors etc.
What are the treatment options available?
Some of the medications that are prescribed for this condition include NSAID such as ibuprofen and naproxen, DMARD such as Trexall and Azulfidine, TNF blockers such as Humira and Enbrel, immune suppressants such as Kineret, Rituxin and Orencia. In addition to this doctors would also prescribe corticosteroids and therapies.
Have you been emotionally invested in a relationship for quite some time? Have you faced continual fights and disagreements with your partner? Have these fights resulted into frustration or have they affected the natural course of your respective lives? If yes, it is time for you to reassess the effort or rather the kind of effort you put in to make things work. Quarrels are an integral part of any healthy and serious relationship. However, an overdose may lead to severed ties. It bruises your memory and leaves you too distraught to engage in an emotional attachment. The kind of mindset a person applies to his or her relationship determines the kind of treatment the person receives in the relationship. Hence, you must be very careful.
A healthier mindset can be adopted in the following ways:
- To complain as least as possible: Keep low expectations from your partner. The most common reason for conflict in relationships is the list of expectations, which when left unfulfilled leads to complaining and nagging. What you do for your partner is what 'you think is the right thing', but your partner may not hold the same perspective.
- Respecting and accepting your partner as he/she is: A package deal, will resolve many issues without debate. When pointed out in subtle ways, your partner will understand and try to change for you , if she/he wishes to.
- Try to have a growth oriented mindset: A growth oriented mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset can always help. When you have a fixed mindset you easily give up on your partner or on the relationship. You tend to feel hopeless about future and associate a lack of growth or change with your partner. A growth- oriented mindset endows you with hope. A situation is perceived as an occurrence in the present that need not necessarily be translated into future. Also, such a mindset expects both parties to accept and encourage change and growth of individuals in the relationship. Anything contrary can make your relationship boring.
- Stop using labels: Labeling is an indecent way of identifying the problem with your partner or with the relationship in general. You should neither brand yourself as something or your partner as something else. Associating critical adjectives with one another is a way of demeaning your lover and can dissuade your partner from communicating his or her viewpoint.
- Look for the trigger: Most quarrels result from a trigger. Trying to pinpoint the trigger with a cool head can actually be of use. This will make partners aware of their faults and instead of dodging the situation they will be able to deal with it better.
- Try to rekindle the spark: Time, overburdening responsibilities or workload can make your relationship a routine affair. An element of secrecy and excitement is important. Therefore, desire should never take a backseat in your relationship. Try to fulfill your partner's desire and let him or her know about your expectations as well.
Erectile dysfunction refers to the situation when a man has difficulty in getting a firm erection or an erection which is required to achieve sexual penetration. Several cases of erectile dysfunction can cause impotency in men.
- Any problem in the blood flow, proper hormone secretion and nervous supply in the body may cause erectile dysfunction.
- Erectile dysfunction also happens due to vascular causes along with neurological causes.
- Arthrosclerosis is a disease which often leads to erectile dysfunction. This disease is most commonly caused by smoking and diabetes. The arteries to the penis become narrow and clogged and erectile dysfunction occurs.
- Neuropathy caused due to diabetes, known as diabetic neuropathy, is a primary neurological cause of erectile dysfunction. Nerve damage on account of surgery around the pelvis area may also lead to erectile dysfunction.
- High blood pressure or hypertension damages arteries all over the vascular system. Blood flow is impaired and proper erection is prohibited, which signifies erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction also happens due to physical causes such as:
- High cholesterol and obesity.
- Parkinsons disease and multiple cases of sclerosis.
- Smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and substance abuse.
- Disorder in anatomy or structure of the penis.
- Surgical complications.
- Several prescribed medicines may lead to erectile dysfunction because of reactions and side effects.
Erectile dysfunction may also result due to several psychological causes:
- Depression makes a person uninterested in sex due to lower libido and may cause erectile dysfunction.
- A large amount of stress, fear, tension or anxiety may also lead to erectile dysfunction.
- Many men suffer from performance anxiety and feelings of sexual failure. This may result in erectile dysfunction.
- Poor communication with a partner or pressure from partner regarding sex may also cause erectile dysfunction.
Point to be noted –
Among all the causes, the psychological cause (i.e. anxiety, depression, fear of performance, low confidence etc.) is the most common and important cause in young individuals between 20 to 50 years of age group. These psychological reasons affect the trigger release of hormones responsible for erection.
Role of Homeopathic medicines in Erectile Dysfunction-
Homoeopathic medicine has the great ability to treat psychological causes because the medicine selected is on the basis of person cognitive ability, his personality, thinking, mood & behavior. Apart from the psychological cause, homeopathic medicine can cure various pathological reasons like high cholesterol level, diabetes, poor blood flow.
There are different types of orthopedic surgeries available and each surgery has its own benefits and procedures.
Hair Regrowth Tips
Many people want strong and healthy hair especially as they grow older. So, in this article we have covered the best hair regrowth tips which actually works for you.
1. Interestingly HAIR GROWS AROUND 0.5 INCHES (1.25CM) PER MONTH AND 6 INCHES (15CM) PER YEAR.
2. How fast it grows depends on factors like age, health, genetics and diet.
3. Eating a balanced diet with the right nutrients will enhance the hair growth. So, in this article you can know the complete hair regrowth tips.
SOME OF THE INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT “HAIR”
1. Hair is a protein filament that grows from follicles found in the dermis (inner layer of the skin).
2. It is primarily composed of protein called ALPHA- KERATIN.
3. Hair growth begins inside the hair follicle.
It follows a specific growth cycle with” 3 “distinct and concurrent phases.
1) Anagen phase- lasts 2-8 years
2) Catagen phase- where hair stops growing lasts 4-6 weeks.
3) Telogen phase- where hair falls out lasts 2-3 months; all these phases occur simultaneously.
Each has specific characteristics that determine the length of the hair.
FACTORS AFFECTING THE HAIR GROWTH
1. Age, health, diet, hormones, seasonal changes and climate.
2. Trauma, stress, anxiety also affect growth
REASON: It reduces the blood and oxygen supply to the scalp, which is essential to healthy hair.
*According to KIDS HEALTH, it’s normal to lose between 50 – 100 hairs a day.
In order to grow hair faster, there should be minimal hair loss. Hence will discuss some features about hair loss like causes, diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
CAUSES FOR HAIR LOSS
1. The most common cause is hereditary male or female pattern baldness.
2. Hormonal changes associated with pregnancy, childbirth, discontinuing the use of birth control pills and menopause can cause temporary hair loss.
3. Medical conditions like thyroid disease, alopecia areate (an autoimmune disease that attacks hair follicles) and some scalp infections.
4. A diet lacking in protein, iron and other nutrients can lead to thinning hair.
To know more about the causes of hair loss, read the complete article.
1. 1st cause of treatment for hair loss is medication.
2. Most common products contain an ingredient called minoxidil.
3. Oral medication like finasteride for male or female pattern baldness can be advised.
4. These may have few side effects, hence should be used under dermatologist advice.
PREVENTION OF HAIR LOSS
1. Avoid tight hair styles, which put too much pressure on hair.
2. Avoid blow dryers, hair straighteners, coloring products etc.
3. Make sure you have a balanced diet and getting adequate amount of iron and protein.
4. Hereditary hair loss may be more difficult to treat but certain procedures such as hair transplantation can help reduce the appearance of baldness.
5. Talk to your doctor to explore all your options to lessen the effects of hair loss.
9 tips to help you lose weight fast
Story time! my gym trainer once told me, eat whatever you want but make sure you lose it in the gym. After that i, the happiest person on earth was on my way to mcdonald s for a mcchicken burger. The next day I killed my workout and the cycle continued. Turns out after a month, I had gained 2 kilos. Say whaaaaa? damn you, trainer! the truth is that while gymming is a very integral part of losing weight, there are many other things that need to be taken care of. Don t worry, though! I will take care of letting you know about all the other things. Let s start!
1. Cut down on starch and sugar:
Insulin is the main fat storage hormone in the body. Frozen yogurt, tomato sauce, fruit juice, white rice potatoes, peas are rich in sugar and starch and heavily stimulate the secretion of insulin in your body. Low intakes of sugar and starch will reduce your insulin levels, kill your appetite and you ll be losing weight in no time and that s a sweeet feeling.
2. Avoid alcohol:
Chug! chug! chug! chug! don t. Alcohol supplies what nutritionists call empty calories- calories without nutrition. Alcohol, whenever taken in, is the first fuel to burn. While that s going on, your body will not burn fat. So, think of it as every drink equals an extra mile on the treadmill. So you can either let loose or lose weight. Your call!
3. Lift weights:
Loss has 4 letters and so does lift. Coincidence? I don t think so! the ultimate hack to losing weight is to lift heavy. Lifting helps in building the lean muscle in the body which in turn kills your body fat. And there s a little cherry on this cake: even after you leave the gym, your body keeps burning calories to recover from the heavy weight lifting. What are you weight-ing for?
4. Don't skip your breakfast:
Every time you skip breakfast, the fats in your body prepare themselves for a grand feast because they know that you will have to make up for it later in the day and when you do, you will be having tons and tons of additional calories. Now I understand that breakfast doesn t quite fit in our busy schedules and hence, skipping it seems like a perfectly valid option but keep in mind that everytime you miss your breakfast, you re missing out on your fitness goals.
5. Get more sleep:
Less sleep means less energy and when you re low on energy, a bag of doritos, ice cream or doughnut seems like a no brainer. Hitting the gym is very conveniently replaced with I just want to hit the sack and doze off. Bottomline: you get to keep your not so favorite waistline. So wake up like an adult, work like a machine and sleep like a baby!
6. Green tea:
If you thought green tea is just hot, flavored water, think again! with a perfect blend of caffeine, catechins and epigallocatechin gallate, green tea is a heavyweight when it comes to boosting metabolism. According to a study published in the american journal of clinical nutrition, people who took green-tea extract three times a day saw their metabolic rate increase by about 4 percent. Go green!
7. Eat only when hungry:
How many times have you peeked inside your fridge only because you were bored? if you re anything like the average human being, quite a few times is the right answer. Needless snacking will just leave you with unwanted fat. So instead of letting time and boredom be a go for eating, eat only when you re hungry.
8. Keep moving:
No extra efforts go in for this one but it can move mountains for your body. In simple words: stay active! talking to a friend over the phone? move. Reading a magazine? move! need to move a showpiece from the bedroom to the living room? you heard me, move!
9. Stay motivated:
This one s my favorite and I m sure it will be yours too! click selfies. Yes! that s exactly what I said. Nothing serves the purpose of motivation better than a picture from the past. Click a full body selfie every month to remind yourself how far you have come and how far you need to go!