Doctor in Manipal Hospital - Goa
Treatment Of Acne/Pimples
Treatment of Hair Fall
Treatment of Hair Loss
Treatment of Female Hair Loss
Treatment of Dandruff
Treatment of Greying Hair
Treatment of Black Spots on Skin
Treatment of Hair Growth
Skin Whitening Procedures
Treatment Of Acne Scars
Treatment of Oily Skin
Treatment of Rashes
Glowing Skin Procedures
Management of Dark Skin
Hair Health Treatment Procedures
Treatment of Baldness
Treatment of Vitiligo
Treatment of Ichthyosis Vulgaris
Treatment of Sunburn
Laser Hair Removal
Submit a review for Manipal Hospital - GoaYour feedback matters!
My daughter had a two wheeler run on her toe a few years ago, the nail on it is not growing to its full, and a fungus is formed in the heel part.
Though most may not admit, all women have hair on their face and body. It is often masked by home remedies or clever make up tricks or frequent visits to the beauty salon. If you see a sudden spike in coarse or dark hair, especially on your face, it can be an embarrassing social condition. Here are some insights into the condition and what you can do to get rid of it.
Blame it on your hormones:
In most cases, you can easily blame this condition on your hormones. Male hormones called androgens are responsible for the development of certain 'manly' features like deepening of voice or production of sperm. And the one hormone behind all this is called testosterone.
But women produce testosterone too- albeit in smaller quantities. If, for some reason, this hormone's level increases in women, it leads to increased sex drive, irregular menstrual cycle and yes, excessive facial and body hair.
One of the main causes of high levels of male sex hormones in premenopausal women is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), a condition which causes cysts to grow around the edge of the ovaries (the organs which produce eggs and sex hormones). PCOS also results in excessive hair growth, acne and weight gain.
Some women are stuck with this condition in the post menopause stage too, when the hormonal imbalance fails to rectify itself after menopause has passed.
Besides blaming it all on the hormones, here are some other causes you can explore:
a) Being obese (weight gain is a side effect of PCOS too, so this is a slightly tricky one)
b) Side effects from blood pressure medication
c) Hereditary condition: Blame your genes
d) Cushing's Syndrome or Acromegaly - rare hormonal disorders
e) An Ovarian tumor
Usually, cosmetic remedies are enough to get rid of unwanted or excess hair. So you may not have to go out of your way to handle this problem unless you have a special case. Most cases can be treated with
a) Shaving: Not the most womanly thing to do, but it is quick and easy. Mind the stubble between the shaves
b) Waxing: This is a pretty much standard procedure
c) Bleaching: Can work for areas you don't want to shave
d) Hair removal creams: Try and test out to see which one suits you
e) Laser treatment: A powerful beam of single color light is used to destroy the hair from its root
If you are not sure what to do with an excessive facial hair problem, consult our experts today for a quick and easy remedy.
Hair transplant is usually opted for by people who are experiencing balding. In this procedure hair follicles are taken from one part of your body which has abundant hair and it is then placed on your scalp where you are experiencing balding. The site from where the hair is taken is called the donor site, hair transplant can be used to fill eyelashes, chest hair and pubic hair.
Benefits of Hair Transplant:
As you age, your hair starts to fall off especially from the center of your head. Men experience baldness faster than women. Hair transplantation helps to fill hair in your scalp and reverses time. You will start looking younger. It has no side effects whatsoever.
Some men start experiencing thinning of hair as soon as they start aging. Chest hair is considered a sign of masculinity and strength in some cultures and societies. Studies show that 85% women prefer chest hair on their partners. Therefore, hair transplant done for chest hair will make you look more masculine.
The hair which gets implanted onto your scalp will start to grow normally from your scalp. Hence, it is just a one-time procedure. After your hair transplant surgery ends, you need not worry or stress about your balding scalp. The growth of the hair will not be stunted. The time taken for your new hair to grow will be the same as your natural hair growth.
The procedure can be done by means of partial anesthesia. In case, you are scared of anesthesia leading to unconsciousness, partial anesthesia is also widely prevalent for the performance of this procedure.
Procedure of Hair Transplantation:
In this procedure, the surgeon cleans the scalp of your head and then injects anesthesia so that your scalp can become numb and you don’t feel a thing. There are two methods used in this procedure, follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS). In follicular strip surgery (FUSS), the surgeon usually removes 6 or 10 inches of skin from the back of your head. Since the back of your head has more hair in comparison to the top part of your scalp. He, then, sews that area of the scalp. The area is usually hidden due to dense hair in that region. In follicular unit extraction (FUE) surgery the surgeon generally removes hair follicles one by one from the back of your scalp and inserts them in the desired area where you want hair.
After the surgery, it is important to take medications because your scalp can be very tender. By two to three weeks the transplanted hair will start to fall after which you may experience normal hair growth. Recovery period can vary from two to five days.
Tummy tuck surgery or Abdominoplasty is a cosmetic plastic surgery procedure which tightens the muscles of your tummy. Loose skin and fat from your abdomen are also removed and as a result, the abdomen gets flat and toned. This surgery is common among women after pregnancy who want to restore their figure. This surgery also assists patients who have lost a large amount of weight in a short time period. Most tummy tuck surgeries are carried out for cosmetic reasons. However, there are certain medical benefits, which are gained after an abdominplasty is carried out. They are enlisted below.
- Stress urinary incontinence is reduced: After giving birth, many women develop Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI). This is a bladder control disorder that causes leakage of urine without control when you sneeze, cough or laugh loudly. Usually, this disorder can be treated without having a surgery, but in certain cases a tummy tuck enables speedy recovery in patients who did not have a caesarian section. A slight amount of bladder obstruction is created, which reduces the SUI.
- Gives you a better posture and enhanced abdominal tone: The stomach muscles sometimes become distended due to extreme loss of weight or because of pregnancy. A tummy tuck surgery helps in tightening of the weak muscles, removes excess fat and skin and the abdomen gets flattened. After carrying out a tummy tuck, people get an improved posture as the tightened muscles provide better support to the vertebrae.
- Correction of ventral hernia: A ventral hernia occurs due to the breake down of intestinal or abdominal tissues through the abdomen walls, and a sack is formed. The causes include abdominal weakness as a result of huge weight loss or previous surgeries.
The symptoms that lead to a ventral hernia correction are similar to the symptoms of a tummy tuck, as both the surgeries rectify abdominal muscles. Once you have a ventral hernia correction, you may need to repeat it again. In case you have this type of surgery, it is recommended that you should also have a tummy tuck done. This might prevent future occurrence as the combined methods leave you in a much safer condition. Medical expenses and recovery time are also reduced.
Tummy tuck surgery is becoming increasingly popular these days. It is a major surgery which requires almost five hours to be completed successfully. A tummy tuck can remove up to ten pounds of fat from a person’s abdomen. It takes several weeks to recover after having a tummy tuck surgery.
Ayurveda is an age-old life science that is known to work medical marvels. The best part about this field of medicine is that it enters every day with remedies that touch the root cause of the issue before curing the same. Aging is an aspect that plagues one and all with its various signs hitting the skin, senses, body and hair. So how can you use Ayurveda to turn back the aging clock of your system? Read on to find out!
- Herbs and Vayasthapana: Vayasthapana or the anti-aging effect is a herbal formula with herbs like Gotu Kola which is known for its anti-aging properties in the field of Ayuveda. Ashwagandha is also used in this concoction. Other herbs like Amla, ginger, turmeric and Galanga are also used to create this anti-aging effect. The oil of cloves can also be used on the massage table for anti-aging.
- Radiance and Varnya: Varnya is the Ayurvedic effect of maintaining or bringing out the glow or radiance of the skin. The Varnya herbs include flame of forest, silk cotton tree, rose petals and Indian redwood. This concoction can help you retain a youthful glow on your skin, which will also keep fine lines at bay.
- Deep Healing and Branropana: With the help of Gotu Kola and other sensitive herbs, one can heal the body deeply and also enhance (Twacha). The herbs used here can also help in strengthening one's digestive system so that there is no Ama or toxin build up. The other herbs one can use here are turmeric, rose petals and cotton silk tree.
- Yoga: Yoga is a known method of keeping the body and senses vital and well functioning. There are a number of Yogic postures and poses that can help in the anti-aging process. These include equal standing for better balance, the tree pose, the squat pose, the downward dog pose, the plank pose for core strength and the seated twist.
- Diet and Lifestyle: Ayurveda is a science that touches every day in order to effectively heal and prevent. So, it is important to follow the Ayurvedic tenets of following a proper balance of eating, resting and activity even as you ingest regular meals at a set time with all the food groups in perfect balance.
Ayurveda can be used in order to take good care of the body even if you are not suffering from any ailments. The herbs can be ingested on a daily basis as a seasoning for your food while Yoga can be practised routinely. This will help you in delaying the aging process.
Dry skin is a condition caused by the lack of moisture in skin. Fine lines and wrinkles are just some of the conditions which may be caused due to dry skin. Dry skin can also be very uncomfortable. The condition is mostly caused by environmental factors such as exposure to harsh weather conditions or getting soaked in hot water.
People at risk
People who are older than 40 years tend to be more at risk of dry skin than people who are younger than 40.
As mentioned earlier, weather conditions play a pivotal role in causing dry skin. Therefore, people who live in areas where the climate is either very hot or very cold tend to get dry skin more often than people who live in temperate climates. Low humidity is another factor which causes dry skin.
Some professions, such as nursing or hairstyling requires frequent usage of hot water all through the day.
Swimming is one of the major causes of dry skin. This is especially true in pools which have chlorine. This is because chlorine increases the itchiness of your skin.
1. Lifestyle changes
Usually, lifestyle changes such as avoiding long, hot showers and putting moisturizers are good enough to make sure that dry skin goes away.
2. Lactic acid
Creams with lactic acid and urea can be prescribed by your doctor if the dryness of your skin does not go away with just moisturizers. These creams usually tend to be over-the-counter medications.
4. Wet dressing
Wet dressings are given only when dermatitis has set in. These are mostly to help prevent infection.
Oiling your body, especially with fish or flaxseed oil is especially crucial in making sure that your body does not succumb to dry skin.
6. Hand sanitizer
Normal hand sanitizers create a drying feeling on your hand. However, dermatologist-recommended hydrating hand sanitizers allow your hands to keep their moisture. Therefore, when you are using hand sanitizers, it is advisable to try to use hydrating ones.
Chemical peels are a skin care procedure that that can be used on the face, neck, and even the hands in order to remove and prevent fine lines. These peels are also helpful in treating age spots and blemishes. These peels can be a part of one’s regular skin care regimen in order to improve the overall appearance of the skin.
The procedure: Chemical peels usually follow a specific procedure where a chemical solution is applied to the skin which makes upper layer to peel off. The new skin that emerges is usually free of wrinkles and smoother as compared to the old skin.
What all does it treat: There are a variety of skin problems that can be treated by chemical peels, including reduction of age spots, dark patches, and other scars. It can also treat severe forms of acne even as it prevents fine lines and wrinkles that have been caused due to constant sun exposure and aging. Also, it reduces the fine lines that form under the eyes and around the mouth. This treatment can also help in treating freckles and dark patches that may be caused due to hormonal changes that happen during pregnancy and also due to birth control pills. It basically gives you smooth and supple skin.
Light peels: This is one of the most commonly used types of chemical peels. These include lactic, salicylic acid and glycolic peels. This type of chemical peel is a mild one that makes the pores smaller and treats surface problems like acne, blackheads, as well as other skin imperfections like light skin discolouration and freckles. This kind of peel is quick and easy to administer, and can help in stimulating collagen production to keep the skin supple. One will typically need about four sittings in a span of two to four weeks.
Medium depth chemical peels: These are stronger peels that show more dramatic results. They may cause visible flaking and peeling after the procedure has been carried out. These peels are usually used to fix the problems that come about due to sun damage. Also, these peels can decrease the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and large pores. These peels can also repair the patches that appear due to pigmentation problems. One will need a session at least once every three months to maintain the results.
Deep chemical peels: These peels have more risk and deeper complications. They are used for very severe cases that include permanent hyperpigmentation which brings about darkening of the skin. Also, it can fix lightening of the skin due to hypopigmentation. It can also be used for the removal of scars.
Im having androgenic alopecia. I tried minscalp f5℅.though I got results slowly, knowing its side effects I stopped it. Now i'm eating an amla, flax seeds everyday. Is there any tablet which provides natural vitamins and minerals needed for my hair without any artificial chemicals and side effects.
Hi doctor I want to make my face and body very fare and glowing without side effect or putting any chemical pls suggest .got an answer but I am not satisfied bcz suggested me for botox treatment which I don't want so pls suggest me suitable path.
Oily skin is a condition that can be characterized by shine on the skin and a large number of pores. The oil in question is a result of overactive sebaceous glands that produce excessive sebum. This can result in acne and blackheads. Summer is a time of the year where skin problems due to oily skin are worsened by factors such as sweat and dust. So proper skin care is necessary in order to negate the effects of oily skin.
Homeopathic cures to keep oil on the skin at bay are:
- Psorinum: Your greasy skin often casts a shadow on your natural complexion. Oily skin makes you look exhausted at all times of the day. You can benefit from Psorinum as it deals with the over active sebaceous glands, cleans the pores of your skin, treats pimples and also fights dark patches. People who sweat profusely and suffer from body odor problems or people susceptible to cold are usually advised to take this medicine.
- Berberis Aquifolium: No amount of make up can mar the appeal of clear skin. If you have oily skin, you are likely to face dullness. Since dirt easily settles on a greasy skin, it can make you look darker than usual. Berberis Aquifolium is an unparalleled medication in homeopathy that treats the above conditions without any side effects.
- Silicea and Kali Bromatum: Excess oil secretion often leads to the development of pus containing acne or pimples. These pimples, when diminish, may leave permanent or long lasting marks on your face. Scars and marks further result in pigmentation. Such problems can take a huge toll on your psychological health, leading you to be overly concerned about the way you look or losing interest in self appearance. In this regard, Silicea and Kali Bromatum can work wonders for your oily skin and its resultant effects.