Dull skin is a skin problem which arises due to inappropriate care of your skin, Dull skin is one of the most common skincare complaints. It occurs when the skin lacks radiance or glow like that associated with young, healthy skin. Dull skin tone is often the term used to describe related issues like uneven skin texture or tone.
HOW IS DULL SKIN DIAGNOSED?
The diagnosis of dull skin is done by a dermatologist by a physical examination and with details of medical history along with details of lifestyle. The various causes of dull skin are dryness, age, climatic conditions, poor skin care, pollution, exposure to sun, inadequate sleep, poor diet, smoking, tea, caffeine and stress.
HOW IS DULL SKIN TREATED?
The treatment is usually done with a mix of medicated creams and ointments as well as significant lifestyle changes. To begin with, smoking and excessive drinking must be avoided and a good diet, exercise and skin care regimen or cleansing, moisturising and toning must be adopted.
DID YOU KNOW?
Vitamin C helps to nourish skin cells and can be easily incorporated into the diet by eating plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Have a lot of people come up to you and told you that your skin has started to look dull and worn out? Dull skin is never a good sign and means that it is time that you start looking after the health of your skin.
Dull skin may be caused due to a number of reasons:
• Lack of adequate number of hours of sleep that leads to dark circles, acne and wrinkles
• Both too much and lack of exposure to the rays of the sun can spell ruin for your skin
• High level of consumption of alcohol
• Too much of smoking is terrible for your skin
• Excessive daily consumption of beverages like coffee and tea that dehydrate the skin
• If you leave your makeup on for too long, it tends to make your skin lose its natural luster. Poor quality makeup is even worse and may cause a reaction that may lead to acne
• You don’t drink enough water
• Not eating a healthy and balanced diet
• Accumulation of acne on your facial pores
• Poor cleaning regime
First things first, you need to maintain a proper lifestyle along with proper eating habits. Yes, we are all exposed to a polluted environment and a harsh lifestyle, but it is our responsibility to try and maintain our skin in order to look good very single day. Instead of banking on chemicals to fix your dull skin, here are a few home remedies that are excellent and safe for your skin:
• Sugar might not be good for consumption, but it is extremely useful for your skin. Make a paste out of brown and white sugar and water and apply it to your face, rubbing and massaging gently. The coarse edges of the sugar crystals help to exfoliate your skin and clean out the dead cells and acne.
• Honey is one of the best anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory and skin lightening natural products out there. Little wonder that it is an essential ingredient in most facial cosmetics. Combine honey with oatmeal to create a face pack that can brighten up your dull skin
• For people with oily or dull skin, aloe vera is a god send. Drink it in pure juice form or apply it as a cooling face pack to close those oil pores. It has anti-septic, anti-bacterial and anti-ageing properties.
• Apricots are loaded with Vitamin A that can be a miracle for dull skin. Make a face pack with soaked and mashed apricots along with some olive oil and apply it to get glowing, supple skin.
These are just a few of the several ingredients that you can use to brighten up your skin. Nature has blessed us with such a wonderful bounty, and it is our responsibility to make full use of it. Always keep an eye on the state of your skin, for it can always be the first signifier of an underlying skin problem or some other medical condition.
Lybrate takes pride in forming a team of the best dermatologists in Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Coimbatore. You can connect with them at the click of a mouse button and even book appointments online. Subscribe with us and receive constant updates and tips to have a healthy and glowing skin.