Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Rheumatologists online in Navi Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Atul GattaniYour feedback matters!
I am 68 years old man I am suffering from knee pain I take medical treatment but not cured. Please advise.
I am 75 years old. I am asked to take Diacerein and Glucosamine tablets twice daily for my Knee arthritis. Is it OK?
My left Leg knee and ankle pains a lot, and feels more heavier, B-12 (450.8 pg/ml) and D-3 (39.11 ng/ml) levels are now normal after been low for consecutive 4 years, also I feel pain in my left side back if I sit for more hours, and my left eye has gone noticeably small in last few years. Any suggestions what should I do to get full fit?
I have a problem in my knees, some time I feel there is no knee pain while seating for toilet, problem to sit down, I am 35 year male
I have my knee cap problem whenever I continue to run for a long time. It just felt like it is removed. Why is this?
Mujhe osteoathritis ki starting batayi hai . Mere liye cycling karna our stairs par chadna utarna theek rahega?
Sir I m suffering from knee pain when I walk grounded floor I hav no pain but whn I use stairs to go another floor then severe pain in both knees. Pls suggest.
I have mild pain in my knees and it's since sometime. When I press my sheen with fingers a bit harder then it pains. Can you please tell what precautions should I take.
My wife (50) is on steroids (Medrol-4mg) since nearly 10 odd years, for her arthritis. She cannot stop the steroids and no pain killer seems to work for her. She has gained weight (85 kg) for her height 5.4 inches. Request guidance on how she may discontinue the steroids?
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a degenerative disease that progresses over time. It generally affects the fingers, feet, wrists, and ankles. It causes immobility due to inflammation and stiffness as well as severe pain. This is an autoimmune disease where the body mistakenly ends up attacking the joints instead of attacking bacteria and other substances as it normally should. Severe cartilage damage can be caused if this condition is not treated on time, which can make the spacing between the bones even smaller than usual.
Let us find out how one can tackle this condition.
- Rest: While there is still no cure for this condition, one can take a number of measures in order to tackle it. One of the foremost ways of managing this condition is with the help of rest and relaxation. It is important to get plenty of sleep so that you can keep the condition from getting worse. There are a number of relaxation exercises that will help you in sleeping better, especially if you have been having trouble sleeping due to the aches and pains.
- Exercise: Depending on the doctor’s recommendations, you will need to exercise on a regular basis so as to keep the motion in your joints intact for as long as possible. Muscle and joint strengthening exercises include swimming, walking, and even gentle stretching that can help in reducing muscle fatigue. This can make your muscles stronger and increase the range of motions as well.
- Ointments and Lotions: One can turn to gels and lotions which can be topically applied. These can be prescribed by the doctor as well, so that the pain is soothed and temporary relief from pain and stiffness may be experienced. These are also available in the form of sprays. These ointments, gels or lotions usually contain camphor, menthol, capsaicin and salicylates.
- Fish Oil Supplements: Pain and stiffness can be significantly reduced with the help of fish oil, as per many medical studies. Before adding fish oil supplements to your food, you will need to talk to your orthopaedic specialist to find out if it may interfere with any medication that you may be taking for the condition or any other related disorder.
- Plant Oils: Plant oils are also known to contain fatty acids known as gamma linolenic acid, which can give much relief when it comes to pain and stiffness, especially in the morning. One must remember, though, that excessive use of this oil can lead to liver damage. So it is imperative to speak with your doctor or therapist before taking any plant oils.
- Medications: Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can help in containing the pain and inflammation for severe cases.
She is 75, she is suffering from knee pain, now she can't walk, we have tried different types of medicine, 6 hospital, but still the pain increasing, what to do know we don't know? sometimes she cries because of pain, it hurts us.
My. Father 78 years old, have knee pain, which treatment is better for him, except knee replacement i.
My mother have a joint pain in her knee for last 5 years and her age is 55 years weight 83 kg. Give me solutions?
1. Don't seat at ground level with bending your knee, seat over chair instead in any function you have.
2. Don't use stair, use lift instead it if possible.
3. Don't bent your knee, keep it in 90-180 degree whenever possible.
What is Rheumatology?
Rheumatology is a field of medicine, which deals with diseases having joint pain, arthritis and other related symptoms. It derives its origin from word ‘rheumatism’, which means anything related to joint or body pain.
Follow this link below for more information
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis means joint pain associated with inflammation (redness, warmth and swelling). All joint pains are not arthritis.
All joint pains are not arthritis.
Most rheumatology diseases are a particular type of arthritis. However, depending on disease type, they can affect any organ of the body. Thus, they can be serious diseases too. They even affect children and young people.
Rheumatology diseases are autoimmune diseases
Rheumatic diseases are often autoimmune in nature. Autoimmune diseases are diseases, where a part of one’s own immune system automatically starts acting against itself. It is unknown why this ‘auto’ ‘immune’ activation causes problems only in a few. Note, it is not the low immunity, but over active immunity, which is the problem. Over active immunity loves to hit joints, this is why most rheumatic diseases have arthritis.
Who is a Rheumatologist?
Rheumatologist is a physician doctor, who is specially trained to investigate & treat various types of arthritis and rheumatic diseases with medicines. They are also commonly known as ‘joint pain or arthritis’ doctors. They are different from orthopaedic doctors, who are surgeons. However, both type of doctors need to work together, at times, to treat some patients.
It is necessary to start treatment early if you suffer from rheumatic illness. As immunity is over active in these diseases, the medicines used to treat these diseases regulate and sometimes suppress the immune system. Early effective treatment helps prevent serious joint damage and can help save life in serious rheumatic disease.