Headache is defined as a pain arising from the head or upper neck of the body. The pain originates from the tissues and structures that surround the skull or the brain because the brain itself has no nerves that give rise to the sensation of pain. The pain may be a dull ache, sharp, throbbing, constant, intermittent, mild or intense.
HOW IS HEADACHES DIAGNOSED?
A general physician would carry out a complete physical and neurological examination of the patient to look for any signs of illness that could be causing the headaches. A complete history of the problem would be noted in order to treat it correctly. CT scans, MRI scans and eye exams could be recommended.
HOW IS HEADACHES TREATED?
Headaches can be helped by taking pain relievers such as aspirin, naproxen, acetaminophen or ibuprofen. If one has three or more severe headaches per month, then the doctor can prescribe
• Blood pressure drugs
• Anti Seizure drugs
• Muscle relaxants
• Relaxation and biofeedback techniques
• Avoidance of certain foods
DID YOU KNOW?
The severity and causes of headaches vary across patients and a proper and correct diagnosis is vital for treatment.
Research shows that one of the most common reasons for a doctor’s visit, are headaches. According to recent statistics 250 million work days are missed due to headaches. Headaches are common among men and women and are characterized into different types. They are-
• Tension headaches- this type of headache may occur due to anxiety and stress, resulting in pain in the temples and the back of the neck. Tension headaches are generally very mild and can be easily treated with over the counter medication.
• Cluster headaches- Cluster headaches affect more men than women. They are very recurrent and generally occur in groups or clusters. Some of the symptoms of cluster headaches include, pain in one side of the head, nasal congestion and tearing of the eyes.
• Sinus headaches- Inflammation and clogging of the sinuses may occur because of bacterial or viral infection. As a result of swollen sinuses, you may develop a headache. This type of pain can be very discomforting, but can be easily treated with antibiotics.
• Rebound headaches- rebound headaches occur as a result of the consumption of too many medicines to treat headaches.
• Migraine headache- the major cause of migraine headaches is the psychological change that takes place in the brain. You can distinguish a migraine from a regular headache through the following migraine symptoms- eye pain, sensitivity to light, 4-72 hours of continuous headache, pain in one side of the head, nausea and vomiting. Along with the consumption of prescribed medicines migraine treatment also involves certain important lifestyle and dietary changes.
You may also have a tendency to develop headaches because of Sciatica, that is, lower back pain. Although back pain does not have any link with headaches, it may occur if you suffer from chronic Sciatica, due to a psychological mind body link.
Apart from over the counter medication and antibiotics, there are also some effective natural home remedies for headaches. For instance-
• Apples- apples and apple cider vinegar have properties which effectively balance the acid level in the body, thus offering relief from headaches. All you need to do is eat and apple accompanied with some salt or add 2 spoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and consume it.
• Rosemary- the acid in this herb, has anti-inflammatory properties, which offers relief from headaches All you need to do is, pour a few drops of the oil in your hands and massage your temples with it.
• Cloves- Cloves are an effective cure, especially for tension headaches. Just crush a few cloves and wrap them in a handkerchief, inhale their smell form time to time for effective results.
Lybrate gives you a fair chance to connect with the top headache specialists and chiropractors to seek their advice on different type of headaches. Lybrate is the ideal medium through which you can consult with the top doctors all across India. Locate leading headache specialists, chiropractors and general physicians in Chandigarh, Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon etc. Lybrate.com is an effective way to find solution for your health problems online. Just subscribe to Lybrate.com and get in touch with your choice of doctor for advice on Migraine headaches.
You can consult doctors online for Headaches from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in Chillhar Road, Bhayandar, Kanakia, Bhayandar, Mandali Talav, Bhayandar, Navghar Road, Bhayandar, Sector 9, Bhayandar, Shanti Park, Bhayandar and in any other locality in Mumbai.
You can see above a list of top doctors in Metro Hospital Thane West, Mumbai for Headaches. Ask a question for free at Lybrate today and receive answers from best doctors.