Gallstones are hardened deposits of digestive fluid in your gall bladder. Gallbladder stores bile, fluids, fat and cholesterol. Gall stones range in size from a grain of sand to as large as a golf ball. Symptoms are:
• Sudden and rapidly intensifying pain in upper abdomen
• Sudden and intensifying pain in center of abdomen
• Back pain between shoulder blades
• Pain in right shoulder
HOW IS GALLSTONES DIAGNOSED?
Tests used to detect gallstones or gallbladder inflammation include:
• Ultrasound, abdomen
• CT scan, abdomen
• Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
• Gallbladder radionuclide scan
• Endoscopic ultrasound
• Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)
• Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiogram (PTCA)
• Liver function tests
• Pancreatic enzymes
HOW IS GALLSTONES TREATED?
Treatment involves a laparoscopic cholecystectomy and open cholecystectomy. If the gallstones are in the bile duct, then the doctor may perform an ERCP to remove them before or during a gallbladder surgery.
DID YOU KNOW?
There are treatments within Ayurveda also to deal with Gallstones?