Accidental or intentional drug overdose may take place when a person ingests a large dose of a certain medicine. This happens because the metabolism cannot expend the heavy dosage. This kind of overdose may threaten the vital signs of the patient’s body including the temperature, the blood pressure and even the pulse rate.
HOW IS DRUG OVERDOSE DIAGNOSED?
A general physician would advise that lab tests be carried out to determine whether there has been any damage to organs. Drug screening would be performed and the drug levels in the blood would be measured
HOW IS DRUG OVERDOSE TREATED?
Treatment will be dictated by the specific drug taken in the overdose. Information provided about amount, time, and underlying medical problems will be very helpful. Stabilization of the patient's airway, breathing, and circulation (ABCs) is the initial treatment of an overdose. Ventilation is considered when there is a low respiratory rate or when blood gases show the person to be hypoxic. Monitoring of the patient should continue before and throughout the treatment process, with particular attention to temperature, pulse, respiratory rate, blood pressure, urine output, electrocardiography (ECG) and O2 saturation.
DID YOU KNOW?
People with certain mental illnesses need the help of family and friends to assist with medication therapy and to lend social support. Drug abusers also need this same support in order to stay clean and safe.