Inflammation of one or more joints, causing pain and stiffness that can worsen with age. The symptoms of Arthritis are: 1. Inability to use the hand or walk 2. Stiffness, which may worsen in the morning or after use 3. Malaise and fatigue, weight loss, poor sleep 4. Muscle aches and pains 5. Difficulty moving the joint
HOW IS ARTHRITIS DIAGNOSED?
Usually, the orthopaedic specialist will put you through a physical examination before conducting an MRI Scan and X Ray to determine the extent of the damage, the cause the condition and the way forward as far as the treatment goes.
HOW IS ARTHRITIS TREATED?
Though there is no cure, treatment includes physical therapy, lifestyle changes, orthopedic bracing and medications. Joint replacement surgery may be required in eroding forms of arthritis. Medications can help reduce inflammation which decreases pain. Also, the joint damage may be slowed
DID YOU KNOW?
There are more than 100 types of arthritis in the world!
Arthritis meaning “swelling joints” can affect not only but also people under the age of 65. Arthritis is caused when the amount of the protective tissue decreases resulting in a wear and tear of the tissues. Arthritis meaning a joint disease, but it can also affect other body parts including the heart, skin, blood vessels and nerve tissues. Mostly common in women, the condition also worsens with age. Common signs and symptoms of arthritis are as follows:
• Joint stiffness
• Knee joint pain
• Swelling and redness around the affected area
The above symptoms vary from person to person and the symptoms may disappear sometimes. The symptoms might be minor or chronic. Chronic arthritis can cause you difficulty in walking and moving and result in certain permanent changes.
A physical examination by the doctor will help in detecting the disease. Imaging scans like MRI, CT scans and X-rays are done to check if you have any other complications apart from arthritis.
Arthritis is a condition which cannot be cured permanently but temporary relief is possible. The stiffness, redness, pain and swelling can be lessened by the help of certain drugs, therapies and surgeries.
The following are the two main types of arthritis.
1. Rheumatism or rheumatoid arthritis- rheumatism is a condition which not only affects your joints but also other body organs. It is an autoimmune disease which means it fails to protect our skin tissues and instead attacks the joint tissues. The condition is accompanied with stiffness, swelling, pain and redness around the area. The affected area loses its shape and cause difficulty in movement. Since rheumatism affects the lining of the joints, the painful swelling can result in bone erosion and bone distortion entirely. The symptoms spread to your knees, elbows, wrists and hands. However the symptoms vary from person to person and might also disappear at times. Certain blood tests and imaging tests can reveal if you are having rheumatoid arthritis. Exact cure is not possible but temporary relief from the symptoms are possible through certain drugs, massages, yoga and surgeries.
2. Osteoarthritis- one of the most common arthritis affecting billions of people all over the world is osteoarthritis. It can affect any joint of your body along with knees, hands, hips and spine. Stiffness, bone spurs, tenderness, pain and loss of flexibility are few symptoms occurring in people suffering from osteoarthritis. Magnetic resonance imaging and x-rays can help in detecting if you have osteoarthritis. Certain changes in lifestyle conditions, physical therapies, medications and surgeries can help in lessening the symptoms. Generally gain in weight results in pressure in the joints, so it is advisable to lose weight and exercise regularly.
Some other types of arthritis are:
1. Gouty arthritis develops with swelling and intense pain in the joints. Mostly affecting men, gouty arthritis triggers increased amounts of stress, obesity, dehydration and any injury
2. Reactive arthritis is swelling with joint pain which worsens with an infection
3. Viral arthritis is a type of arthritis which gets triggered by any kind of virus
4. Septic arthritis which is caused by an infection
Lybrate offers you a chance to contact the top rheumatologists and seek their advice on rheumatoid arthritis. Find top rheumatologists in Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Faridabad etc. lybrate.com offers online guidance and effective solutions to all your medical needs.
You can consult doctors online for Arthritis from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in Chillhar Road, Bhayandar, Kanakia, Bhayandar, Mandali Talav, Bhayandar, Navghar Road, Bhayandar, Sector 9, Bhayandar, Shanti Park, Bhayandar and in any other locality in Mumbai.
You can see above a list of top doctors in Fortis Hospital Kalyan West, Mumbai for Arthritis. Ask a question for free at Lybrate today and receive answers from best doctors.