Knee Problems are a group of problems associated with the knee. They may be caused due to a sudden injury to the knee or dislocation or arthritis. The location and the severity of the knee problem depend on the underlying cause. Symptoms of knee problems are:
• Tenderness or inflammation in and around the knee
• Swelling and stiffness
• Redness and warmth to touch
• Weakness or instability while walking
• Popping or crunching noises
• Instability to fully straighten knee
HOW IS KNEE PROBLEMS DIAGNOSED?
The health care provider will perform a physical exam, and look at your knees, hips, legs, and other joints. The doctor may ask for details of the symptoms. The specialist may recommend tests which include:
• Joint fluid culture (fluid taken from the knee and examined under a microscope)
• X-ray of the knee
• MRI of the knee if a ligament or meniscus tear could be the cause
• CT scan of the knee
HOW IS KNEE PROBLEMS TREATED?
Treatment involves physical therapy and a lot of self care. In most cases, the knee problems are treatable but there may be surgeries needed and even knee replacement in severe cases.
DID YOU KNOW?
A healthy diet can help people keep their body weight in control and prevent Knee Problems and abnormal stress on the joints.