Find numerous Psychiatrists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Vinesh ChandramaniyaYour feedback matters!
Is your teenager child suffering from depression? Young adults or teenagers are quite moody. Hormonal fluctuations leads to irritability, outburst of anger, defiant behavior, weepiness, and emotional hysteria. It is important for you to differentiate between depression, teenage drama, and other mood disorders that are likely during teenage days. Depression in your child from an early age can have serious effects late in life.
Hence, it is very important for you to deal with your teenager’s depression. Here are some important tips you should apply:
- Get proper diagnosis
- A proper and accurate diagnosis of your child’s depression is very important.
- It is the first step that you should take to be certain about the condition.
- Choose the right therapist or doctor
- Finding a good therapist or doctor is the second step you need to take.
- Take opinions of people, and explore well to come across an ideal therapist who would be perfect for dealing with your depressed teenager.
- You may need a doctor’s assistance and advice for a long term basis, and thus it is important to choose a trustworthy doctor.
- Observe the negative thoughts
- Several negative thoughts manipulate our feelings. Something that starts with a negative thought can become a source of depression and anxiety.
- However, by recognizing these thoughts, it becomes easier to cope with them and their consequences.
- Outsmart the brain
- Our brain has two sides that respond to different kinds of inputs.
- While a negative situation confronts us, the right brain circuits come into play; while in case of positive situations, the left brain responds.
- It is important to create a bridge across the brain, so that you can travel to both the sides.
- Take mood boosters
- There are certain food items that help in uplifting your mood.
- If you are a depressed teenager, you should consume foods containing omega-3 fatty acids which are beneficial for alleviating your depression.
- You should take foods such as salmon, sardines, ground flaxseeds and walnuts.
- You should also consume vitamin B12 and Folate as these produce serotonin and act as effective mood stabilizers.
- Quit alcohol
- Alcohol is harmful when you are depressed and anxious, and it also alters your brain while you are a teenager. This can have adverse effects later in life.
- Working out for uplifiting your mood and distress by swimming, running, boxing, or walking provides instant relief from depression.
- Exercises boosts the activity of serotonin and norepinehrine.
- It also helps in stimulation of the brain chemicals that encourage the growth of nerve cells.
As a teenager suffering from depression, it is very important for you to seek help from places and people your trust. You may approach a person outside of your family as well, if you are not comfortable with letting your parents know. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychiatrist.