Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Shetali PanditYour feedback matters!
My Lmp was 10th march. Then 20 april I took duphaston 10mg for 5 days as per Dr. advice but still I did not get period. Last year I had pcod but last 6 month I got regular period 30 to 35 days. Pls give me suggestions.
My last period was 2 jan had sex on 23 jan protected what are chances of pregnancy cycle is 28 to 30 days.
My girl friend is getting bleed from past 2 weeks, bleeding is not stopped. We had sex many time without safety. Is their any problem for her?
Heavy menstrual flow also known as Menorrhagia is one of the most common form of abdominal bleeding from uterus. Everyone has different periods, some might not even notice that time of the month, while others might suffer from heavy bleeding, feeling miserable and a constant worry of leaks and stains leading to embarrassing situations. Periods are considered to be heavy if a pad or tampon is soaked in blood every hour.
Other symptoms of heavy bleeding could be:
- Passing of large clots
- Bleeding at night which requires to get up to change a pad
- Any period that lasts for more than seven days
The causes of heavy bleeding during periods might be due to fibroids (noncancerous tumors of the uterus),
ectopic pregnancy, cervical cancer, pelvic inflammatory disease, use or blood thinners and problems with intrauterine device.
If you are one of those women who suffer from heavy menstrual flow and are quite hassled by the same then worry not here are some tips to deal the your problem.
- Keep a track of the periods as in when they start and the days with heavy bleeding. This helps you to track your next period and prepare yourself well for the same
- Low iron levels can cause heavy bleeding, thus maintaining the iron levels is a good idea
- Eating green leafy vegetables and taking multivitamins helps to maintain the iron levels
- Eat fruit and food with starch to maintain a good sugar level
- Hydrate yourself as it makes you feel less grumpy and miserable
- In case of severe cramps take some pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprofen. Even a hot water bottle is a great way to chase the blues and the cramps
- Get some sleep as one feels tired before the period and the days of the period. Listen to your body and don't push yourselves. Use extra protection in case you are worried about leakage
- Try using a menstrual cup as they have greater capacity as compared to tampons or pads. Also, one does not need to carry any supplies for the day
- Don't feel shy or embarrassed to talk about your condition
- You might need professional help and want to consult a doctor. Keeping a track of your period is good as doctors usually ask for the duration of the period and how heavy were they.
If you do not feel better with these tips a meeting with the doctor can predict the cause of the heavy flow and accordingly a medical treatment can be planned.
Medication for heavy bleeding might include any one or more of the following:
- Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen
- Hormone Therapy for stabilizing the endometrium
- Tranexamic acid to promote blood clotting
- Dilation and curettage that is scraping of the uterus is done
- Hysteroscopy is where a long scope is inserted in the vagina and the lining of the uterus which causes bleeding is removed
- Endometrial resection is where the lining of the uterus is destroyed or removed and also makes it impossible to have babies after this
- Hysterectomy - This procedure is the surgical removal of cervix and uterus (If this procedure is done then it is impossible to make babies after this)
Following these simple tips is sure to control your bleeding, but if you still face issues and problems then consult a doctor.