Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. ShaileshYour feedback matters!
Causes of skin discoloration and its types
Skin discoloration is a condition where the overall color of skin appears patchy and uneven. This generally takes the form of dark spots, blotchiness, jagged sunburns, etc. It is caused due to unequal distribution of melanin, the pigment responsible for imparting color to the skin.
Melanin is produced by the melanocyte cells in the epidermis layer of the skin. This pigment plays a protective role in the skin, particularly when it comes to defense against sun damage. Production of melanin is generally uniform through the skin but sometimes, various anomalies cause some parts of the skin to produce excess melanin whereas others may produce none at all. This leads to discoloration of the skin, making the appearance of skin tone irregular and non-uniform.
What are the different types of skin discoloration?
There are various types of skin discoloration which are caused by different medical and nonmedical conditions.
Some of them are as follows:
- Melasma. This type of skin discoloration occurs due to fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. This condition is found most commonly in pregnant women.
- Vitiligo. This is a medical condition which is caused when melanocyte cells cease to function or die. It manifests itself in the form of white patches that appear on the skin.
- Sunburns and Tans. These appear on the skin in the form of dark patches, uneven splotches and burns. It is caused by unprotected and prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Tinea Versicolor. This type of skin discoloration is caused by a fungal infection that makes skin appear dull and flaky in patches. It occurs due to hormone level fluctuations or a malfunction in the immune system.
- Skin Cancer. When the skin gets affected by melanomas and carcinomas, it appears discolored. This type of discoloration changes shape, size and texture and requires the immediate attention of a specialist.
- Other causes of skin discoloration include genetic inheritance, allergic reactions and drug reactions. The diagnosis of treatment depends on the exact nature of the condition and varies from case to case. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
My face skin is oily and I sick of pimples problem and all pimple are face skin inside and very pain fill pimple and after few days he come out and pimple on white blood so please help. What I use tea tree face wash.
Hi sir/ madam, What is the best cream or remedy to reduce pigmentation or uneven skin tone. Hope you suggest me the best.
My skin of near separate part almost remains with some spot of white colour and with itching whAt should I do?
I am under weight what should be done to gain weight and to increase hunger. My skin is also very oily and I have pimples problem so please suggest some precautions or treatment to avoid these problem.
I am a 35yr old male and have some black spots and patches on my both arm and back and chest from 7years. I am taking homeopathic treatment from last 1 year but no effect. What should I do?
My face was fair until adolescence. But after that my face skin started to get blackish. But the remaining body is still fair. What to do for fairy face skin using less chemicals.
My friend suffering from anus pain. While he was going to motion blood is coming. After that he will get more pain. From past one week he is facing this problem. He was very shy to consult a doctor. Please suggest a medicine.
I have pimple mark/scar on my face and I need to get rid of them without any side effect's. Small marks/Scar.
Aging of the skin is a natural process that affects all aging individuals. It manifests itself in the form of skin wrinkling, sagging, discoloration and other visible effects. Such changes become more apparent as soon as one reaches late thirties or early forties but early onsets are now very common too, which can be caused by a number of factors.
Prevention from Aging:
- Eat healthy - Having a nutritious balanced diet can make a tremendous positive impact on your skin. Consumption of food items that are rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients is essential. It is also important to drink lots of water and fluids to stay hydrated. Junk food and sugary drinks should be avoided as it negatively affects skin health.
- Avoid sun exposure - This is the most basic way of reducing the rate of skin aging and slowing down the process. While going out in the day cannot always be avoided, it is important to keep the skin covered with clothing, hats and sunglasses.
- Exercise regularly - Keeping fit through regular workouts and exercise improves the circulation of blood in the body and consequently, the supply of blood and oxygen to the skin. This keeps the skin healthy and young and prevents early onset of wrinkling and aging.
Anti-aging Dermatology Treatments:
- Botox: Botox is an injection that temporarily relaxes facial muscles to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as prevent new lines from forming. Common injection sites include the forehead, the area between the eyebrows, the corners of the eyes, and the sides of the chin. Botulinum toxin (BOTOX) for treating facial wrinkles is the most frequently performed cosmetic procedure. It has become the most common entry procedures for clinicians seeking to incorporate aesthetic treatments into their practice.
- Dermal Fillers: As we age, our faces naturally lose subcutaneous fat. The facial muscles are then working closer to the skin surface, so smile lines and crow's feet become more apparent. Dermal fillers help to diminish facial lines and restore volume and fullness in the face. Dermal fillers can be used to:
- Plump thin lips
- Enhance shallow contours
- Soften facial creases and wrinkles
- Improve the appearance of recessed scars
- Dermal fillers can be very helpful in those with early signs of aging, or as a value-added part of facial rejuvenation surgery.
- Thread Lift: Thread lifts can be a great way to rejuvenate and restore youthful contours to areas such as the brows, cheeks, jowls and the neck area. The procedure uses multiple, hair-thin needles that have fine threads dipped in bio stem cell liquid, inside them. These needles are inserted into a layer of the skin one-by-one and then pulled out together smoothly, leaving the fine thread inside the layers of your skin. This induces fibroblast and promotes collagen production and literally lifts skin. The thread is gradually absorbed into the skin.
- RF Tightening: Radiofrequency (RF) energy treatment is technology for non-surgical tightening of the early signs of loose or sagging skin; ideal for those people who either don’t want, or don’t believe they are old enough to have a surgical procedure. Pure RF energy alone is primarily used to treat skin laxity by facial tightening, and is best suited to patients with mild to moderate sagging of facial tissues, usually those in their mid 30s to 50s, with any skin colour. It is commonly used to treat the forehead, under the eyes, cheeks, mid-face, jaw line, and neck.
- HIFU Facelift: High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) lifts and tightens skin for a non-surgical face lift and neck lift. Since its release, Ulthera (Ultherapy) has been quickly growing in popularity with experts worldwide as an advanced HIFU device. Common treatment areas include - Brows and forehead, Chin, Neck, Stomach and Stretch marks. With just one treatment, HIFU pushes mature skin to start working hard again. Your eyes will look more open, brows more lifted, fine lines softened, and pore reduced. Because of the restored elasticity, your skin will feel softer and more supple, too.
Quick Tips to Look Younger-
1. Live happier: Life is a constant struggle. From unexpected changes to life altering moments, we constantly face stress, tension and sometimes depression. Those who we know living a happy life also face the same situations. The difference is how they choose to find happiness despite facing adversities. Stress speeds up the aging process. When you are stressed, it creates an imbalance of hormones causing collateral damage. To cut down stress, spend more time doing things that make you happy. Choose a hobby like painting or stress busters like yoga and exercise.
2. Eat fruits and vegetables: It is important to eat the right serving of fruits and vegetables daily, as they are rich source of vitamins and minerals and protect your skin from free radicals and cellular damage. From cucumber and tomato to fruits like papaya, each provides it own set of exfoliating benefits, which firm up your skin, improve your complexion, get rid of fine lines and slows down the aging naturally. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
Hi! I have black blood clots on my lips from a long time ,might be 10 years .Before that my lips were gud .May I know if any treatment is possible.
Hello I want detoxify my body, I am a regular smoker and many days back I used to smoke weed and now I stopped later I got heat boils to my left leg one after one from 1 month. I have got 4 heat boils to my left leg back to back. Can you please suggest me how to flush out all the toxic substances from my body. I also lost weight from 55 kgs to 49 over last 6 months.
I'm 28years old, my complexion is dark and I'm having dark spots all over my face, I've found that these are DPN's. How can I get rid of it? Is there any kind of skin creams are available in the market or I've to do surgery.
Winter. My skin becoming dry so recommend me to have a best cream to use and shouldn't get acne and not to get change of my skin tone. Suggest me a best winter cream.
My skin is more oily I use oil free cleanser ,moisturizer, toner and sunscreen twice day What should be use to avoid these conditions And name of pills.
Around my pubic reason near abdomen that area is darker than my body tone. So how to cure it? Please suggest some remedy for that.Please tell.
Facts and myths about cosmetic surgeries
I'm Dr. Vijay Kakkar. I'm a Senior Consultant in Cosmetic Surgeon. I'm attached to different hospitals like Max Hospital, Saroj Superspeciality Hospital and Mata Chanan Hospital in Janakpuri. Today I'll be discussing something about cosmetic surgery which most of the people are not aware what kind of surgery it is.
There is some basic difference between plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery.
In plastic surgery basically, we try to achieve normal things while in cosmetic surgery person is already normal and we're trying to achieve supernormal things. That says someone is having a nose which he wants to be very sharp and thin and to look extra smart so we change that. This comes under cosmetic surgery. Similarly, if somebody's having problems with the face like if the face is loose due to age, or having wrinkles on the face, ears are more prominent, chin is short, we can do all these changes to make a person look better. Similarly cosmetic surgery can be done on all parts of body, it can be cosmetic surgery of breasts, it can be tummy tuck like we do a different kind of liposuction in which we reduce body fat, in the breast segmentation we can increase size of breasts that can be done through implants or through draftings, then we can remove heavy, flabby bags from the person like if the arms are lost and hanging we can make them tightened with surgery, it becomes really good.
Similarly, all areas of the body can be tackled with cosmetic surgery and in cosmetic surgery we also cover the non-invasive kind of surgery like Botox, like the fillers, if there are any depressions in the person we can just do instant fillers and he can look much better, with Botox we can remove all the wrinkles. All these procedures are short procedures and they're called Lunch Hour surgeries or Office procedures. And if somebody is having baggy eyelids or lose eyelids and looks much older than his age we can do Blepharoplasty in the eyes and make him much younger and better looking. Then we've lasers in our armamentarium which can remove scars, which can make the face much younger and better. Then we also do a lot of Hair Transplants. In the hair transplant, we take the patients own hair from the back and put it in the front so that your look is improved and you look much younger. These are basically the kind of cosmetic surgeries which we do routinely every day.
If you want to know details or want to consult me you can contact me through Lybrate or you can come to my clinic in Janakpuri. It is C-2A, 236A, Janakpuri, New Delhi -58.