Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Ratna ParikhYour feedback matters!
There is itching in my eyes quite often and my eyes is not clear it has slight yellow color. and I am not suffering from jaundice.
I am a 19 year old student. When I am using electronic devices like phone or laptop I get pain in eye and headache. My eyes turn red. Although power is correct. Why it happens and what are it's cure?
Sir I have a problem of weak eyesight and I feel stressed on my eyes while studying .can you tell me any help.
I have red eyes over three four days and danduruf problem about 1year in only winter session. What I have do to fix these problems,
Nethrachikitsa is as old as Ayurveda and forms a very critical branch of Ayurvedic treatment. Derived from two Sanskrit words ‘netra’ meaning ‘eyes’ and ‘chikitsa’ meaning ‘treatment’, this is not surprising as eyes are our window to the world and any disease affecting it needs priority treatment. Nethrachikitsa is a branch of Salakyatanthra in ayurveda, which deals with the treatment of entire area of head and neck. In English Nethrachikitsa is termed as Ophthalmology.
Eyes have always been given due importance as an indriya or organ in Ayurveda from very ancient times. Traces of Nethrachikitsa can be found in the ancient texts of Ayurveda. It has been proved that in earlier times, there was an existence of systematic way of eye treatment, which included different types of therapeutic formulations and practices. Among all the branches of salakyatanthra, Nethrachikista or Ophthalmology is the most important and popular branch.
In this field a total 76 eye diseases have been described and classified into various branches such as Vartma gata roga i.e. dieseases of the lids, Krishnagata roga (Diseases of cornea) etc.
In Ayurveda, the treatment of eye diseases is done not only by internal medications but also by way of several traditional applications like Anjanam and Aschyothanam. It also includes methods like nasyam (part of Panchakarma), nethraTarpanam and Putapakam. Nethrachikitsa also advocates the application of several eye exercises and yoga in order to keep the eyes healthy and efficient for years. If followed in the right method, Ayurvedic ophthalmology is capable of curing several common and chronic eye diseases.
Some of the major diseases which can be treated with the help of ayurveda are: Myopia (short-sight), Hypermetropia (long-sight), Astigmatism, inflammations and infections like Conjunctivitis, keratitis, uveitis, blepharitis, recurrent stye, scleritis etc., degenerative eye diseases like retinitis pigmentosa (RP), macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, optic atrophy, lazy eye (amblyopia), computer-related disorders like Dry Eye (computer vision syndrome), Glaucoma, allergic conditions like central serous retinopathy, spring catarrh, etc. Dr. Mahesh Gupta Ayurveda consultations is specialize in Netra Chikitsa and is very proficient in ensuring that eye diseases are cured the Ayurvedic way, without any side effects. The potential of Ayurveda can help us to see this beautiful world by our healthy eyes for a longer period of time. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.
I have a problem in my left eye in which I see only the cutted pictures. So what should I do. Help me.
I am 22 years old. I have a problem related to my eye. In my eye like a dundruf come on it. Should I do.
My weight is near to 105 KGS so my body need more than 2900 calorie in a day. But every day I take only 1200+ calorie and everyday I spent 600+ calorie to do the exercise. I also take 1 glass of lemon and ginger mix partly warm water in empty stomach and I drink near to 4 ltrs daily. I also take 1 bowl of cucumber and tomato salads as snacks twice in a day. So how much I lose in a one month?
When the eye does not produce the required amount of tears, a condition called dry eyes may emanate. This condition may cause stinging, pain, itching, redness and a host of other symptoms that make normal vision a temporary problem. Also, one might experience difficulty in wearing contact lenses and may feel as if there is are particles trapped within the eyes. Night time driving and facing glares of light also becomes difficult in such cases. Cases where the symptoms have been going on for a prolonged period, must be referred to an ophthalmologist so as to get the correct treatment.
Let us find out the various types of treatment for this condition:
- Medication: A variety of drugs and medication can be used to bring down the inflammation which is the basic cause behind the lack of tears and oil secretion along the edge of the eye, which leads to poor lubrication of the eyes. Oral antibiotics can take care of any underlying infection that may have led to this condition while eye drops and ointments can be used to bring down the swelling.
- Corneal Inflammation: Many times, the cornea may face inflammation which can be fixed with the help of eye drops that work by releasing their immune suppressing element. These eye drops may contain cyclosporine or corticosteroids which can help in fixing this kind of swelling. One important thing to remember is that these corticosteroids are not good for long term use.
- Eye Inserts for Artificial Tears: A tiny eye insert can be used to create artificial tears in case your condition goes from mild to moderate and is not too severe. This eye insert resembles a miniscule grain or rice and usually dissolves gradually to release an eye drop like substance in the eye.
- Tear Stimulators: This kind of medication like Cholinergics, helps in tear production. These are available as pills, drops and ointments.
- Surgical Procedures: From closing your ducts for bringing down tear loss to using special contact lenses specially designed for people who are suffering from dry eyes and unblocking the oil glands, there are a number of surgical procedures that one can use for fixing this problem.
- Home Remedies: One can also make use of some home remedies in order to combat dry eyes. The use of a warm washcloth for a few minutes every day can stimulate the tear ducts and oil glands, while a mild soap for the eyelids can also remove the particles clogging the eyelids.
Speak with an ophthalmologist about the various options that one can use in order to fix this problem depending on the severity of your case.
If you wish to discuss about any specific eye problem, you can consult a specilized opthamologist and ask a free question.