Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Hello madam/sir I have a short eye sight of -0.75 for left eye and -1 for right eye. Can I decrease my eye sight by some simple techniques or is there any cure for it? Suggest me sir/madam. Please.
I am suffering from red eyes when I wake in morning on winter. So, what can I do to prevent my red eyes due to cold.
I have red eyes and pain in my eyes and tears also came from my eyes because my eyesight is weak so what should I do.
I have a major problem related to my eyes I can not see anything in night when a straight light come to my eyes. And after that it start paining. And it cause many problems when i, m riding bike. Help me.
Variety of contact lenses is used to correct refractive errors. Soft Contact (hydrogel) Lenses are most often used in various types of refractive errors but they have certain disadvantages. These lenses do not permit adequate Oxygen to pass through which is essential for health of cornea and hence they can be worn for limited hours, i.e 6 to 8 hours maximum and never while sleeping. The tear proteins get deposited on these lenses which limit their life to about a year. If worn for prolonged period or proper measures not taken to clean the lenses, cornea can get an ULCER which at times can result in permanent loss of vision. Disposable daily wear lenses provide safer alternative but the cost increases significantly. Since soft contact lenses are applied after cleaning with a solution which can be the cause of mild to severe allergic conjunctivitis which can become intolerable. Soft contact lenses are not ideal in eyes with high corneal astigmatism.
Merits of soft contact lenses are that they can be dispensed over the counter or purchased on line though it is not ideal. A correct curvature and power of a contact lens is determined by a contact lens specialist/ Ophthalmologist after measuring exact corneal curvature and using trial contact lens. Another merit is that these lenses can be accepted very easily since even on the first day they do not produce much of discomfort. These lenses can be worn off and on without any inconvenience. Recent introduction of Toric Contact Lenses have made them more acceptable in cases of moderate corneal astigmatism.
Breathing Contact Lenses:
These lenses are the one which permit significant amount of oxygen to pass through and hence can be worn for prolonged interval without any adverse effect on the cornea. These are of two types
- Semisoft or Extended Wear RGP Contact Lenses: These lenses are made up of FP 92 which is a semi rigid soft plastic and is highly permeable to oxygen. These lenses are excellent for high refractive errors, especially in patients who have high corneal astigmatism. Even cases with irregular cornea or Keratoconus, these lenses can be accepted with rewarding results. These lenses can only be fitted by an expert Ophthalmologist since precise measurement has to be carried out and various trial lenses have to be tried to evaluate the optimum fit. The lenses are made to measurement and the patient has to be precisely trained to fit the lenses and maintain them. As stated, the lenses can be safely worn while sleeping and there is practically no danger of corneal toxicity or infection. These lenses may last for 4-5 years. One of the demerits of these lenses is that they take 5-6 days to adopt and the patient is advised to use them regularly. They are excellent alternative to LASIK surgery.
- Silicon Hydrogel Contact Lenses: These are recent introduction of extended wear contact lenses with capacity to 'breathe' better than soft or hrdrogel contact lenses. Some of the recent Silicon Hydrogel Contact lenses introduced by Alcon and Bausch and Lomb can be worn for a week or so.
Silicon hydrogel lenses though indicated for prolonged wear but can cause mild keratitis and sometimes allergic keratitis if worn overnight. These lenses still needs lot of improvement to be free of complications
Advise: It is ideal to consult an Ophthalmologist specialized in contact lenses for fitting of a proper contact lenses. Advertised lenses some time misguide and can be damaging to the eye.
About a year ago, I got hit in my left eye with a ball while playing cricket. I used to have headaches before that too, but after that incident, the headaches when occurred, affect mostly in the left part of the head including the eye area. When there is no headache, I feel fine. What should I do.
Most types of eye sight problems, such as short sight (minus power) or long sight (plus power) can be corrected by these procedures.
The benefits are clear:
• First of all, It works! It corrects vision. Around 96% of patients will have their desired vision after LASIK. An enhancement, if at all needed, can further increase this number.
• LASIK is associated with very little pain due to the numbing drops that are used. The discomfort experienced hardly lasts few seconds.
• Vision is corrected nearly immediately or by the next day after LASIK.
• No bandages or stitches are required after LASIK.
• Adjustments can be made years after LASIK to further correct vision if vision changes while you age.
• After having LASIK, most patients have a dramatic reduction in eyeglass or contact lens dependence and many patients no longer need them at all.
The actual procedure:
Basically, Lasik or Laser Vision Correction can be done in different ways. The most commonly done procedure needs a thin flap to be taken from the cornea ( the curved glass like structure which makes the front of our eyes ). This flap making can be done by an automated, very thin, rotating blade (microkeratome) or by a very advanced Laser, called Femtosecond. The femtosecond laser option is the best, but also the most expensive, may not be suitable for all eyes. After creating the flap, the next most important part is the application of excimer laser, which is a must for all Laser Vision Correction procedures.
There are few side effects or complications, but most of them can be prevented by careful preoperative planning or can be overcome by treatment or eye drops after the procedure.