Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Meghna BharatiYour feedback matters!
I am having pain in my left eye. During night times. And I am using some sort of eye drops but it is of no use.
I have a small injury under my left eye because of a bamboo stick, it was an accident, my cheek got swollen and the skin around my eye became violet in colour, how to get rid of the swelling and the clot immediately?
Humidity is making it difficult to wear spectacles . It's causing soreness where the specs touch the skin between eyes and ears. Any remedy available.
Every day I use to watch my internet. So that my eyes were becoming dry and low sparking. Please show me any good oily eyedrops that could show my eyes brightly.
Laser operation is best for our eyes or not please advise me how it useful for our eyes or not I need advice from specialist doctors.
I have eye problem my will pain and from it water come and it will become red and water comes from it. I don't understand why it happen.
I have red eyes over 3 days including body pain and what should I do to avoid fats unnecessary because I have a healthy diet I don't understand why does it happens?
My eye sight is (-6) at present and it has been increasing continue for a long time. please give me a advised properly. I am a student.
My age is 25. I have night blindness. Is there any treatment to cure this, And one more now I am pregnant is there any problem to my child?
Sir, I'm using specs for past 10 years and want to get rid of them. Vision is constant for more than 2 yrs. Age 32. Spec no -2.5 Left & -2.25 right please advise some treatment and it's approx cost.
Hi doctor I am tmanna my mom is eyes are red every evening last two months what she does please tell me.
I have a eye sight of (-5) nearly for both the eyes. Recently I heard name called lasik surgery. Is this beneficial to remove the total eye sight. please give me the suggestion.
My father have red eyes for over 10 days and it become more red during night and pains so what should I do Age- 41.
Age-related macular degeneration, also known in brief as AMD or ARMD is one of the most common age-related causes for vision loss. It causes “blind spots” in vision, causing difficulty in activities requiring central vision like reading, sewing, driving, watching TV, computer usage, etc.
How it happens?
The centre portion of the eye is known as retina which has a screen in the posterior portion. For proper vision, light falls on this screen and is then processed to enable ‘vision.’ When this screen is not clear, blurred vision results. It may not cause total blindness but impairs vision including double vision and loss of central vision.
Types: There are two types of AMD, wet and dry.
- Dry: There are yellow deposits known as drusen which form in the macula, and as they grow in size, they impair vision, specifically the central vision. This is the common variant and can lead to the wet form.
- Wet: There are abnormal blood vessels which are formed in the retina. There is leaking of blood and fluid which makes it ‘wet.’ There could be scarring of these leaked substances, which again leads to loss of central vision. Further studies have shown that retina produces a protein knows as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) which promotes the generation of new blood vessels, normally required for the production of new blood vessels. However, increased VEGF causes excessive proliferation of blood vessels, leading to macular degeneration.
Risk factors: Though age related, there are definitely some factors which put one at a higher risk for AMD
- Genetics: AMD is hereditary and runs in families
- Gender: Females are more prone to develop AMD than males
- Ageing: People above 60 are at greater risk
- Smoking: Direct and passive smoking contribute to AMD.
- Obesity: Accelerates the pace of AMD and severity of complications.
- Hypertension: Increases the chances of developing AMD
- Ethnicity: Caucasians are more prone to develop AMD as their lighter skin and eye color is more prone to sun damage
- Sun exposure: Increased sun exposure accelerates the onset of AMD
- No symptoms in the initial stages
- Gradually, there is impaired central vision, affecting activities like reading, driving, and computer usage
- Color perception is impaired
- A routine eye exam will reveal the yellow deposits which actually cause the condition.
- An angiography may be done after injecting a dye to detect blood vessel growth.
There is no cure, but progress can be delayed
- Anti-angiotensin agents reduce pressure in the eyes and stop development of newer blood vessels
- Vitamins help slow down loss of vision
- Vision aids to correct vision