Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Manmohan Kamath
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Manmohan KamathYour feedback matters!
I have big pores and scars on my face. I am taking lumenis resurfx laser .is it helpful in reducing the size of pores. And if yes, then how much % it fades the scars of face. What precautions we have to take while taking laser.
I am 30 years old male, I am in military I have a red birthmark in my right side half portion of my face. I wanted to treat it but I didn't found any solution to treat properly. Which is better treatment laser or surgery? If it is possible than how many weeks or month to get heal it.
I am 22 years old. On my face the skin is getting darker. Day by day. Can you prescribe me any. Alter native to stop. It.
My daughter 7 years old, has rashes all over her body. Took citizen syrup, betnesol,Omna cortil and atarax tab, but still she has not been recovered. We applied dermadew location also however she is still have rashes from past one month. please suggest ASAP.
Face ko colour ko gora karne ke liye kya use karu. Please doctor tell me any cream and I also have acne problem on my face. Please help me.
Doctor please help me After applying desowen under eyes I hv got wrinkles under eyes my age is only 18. What is the reason for sudden wrinkles ll it disappear?
What should I do to protect my skin and face from sun rays which affects my skin more. And what should I use for dry skin?
Causes of skin discoloration and its types
Skin discoloration is a condition where the overall color of skin appears patchy and uneven. This generally takes the form of dark spots, blotchiness, jagged sunburns, etc. It is caused due to unequal distribution of melanin, the pigment responsible for imparting color to the skin.
Melanin is produced by the melanocyte cells in the epidermis layer of the skin. This pigment plays a protective role in the skin, particularly when it comes to defense against sun damage. Production of melanin is generally uniform through the skin but sometimes, various anomalies cause some parts of the skin to produce excess melanin whereas others may produce none at all. This leads to discoloration of the skin, making the appearance of skin tone irregular and non-uniform.
What are the different types of skin discoloration?
There are various types of skin discoloration which are caused by different medical and nonmedical conditions.
Some of them are as follows:
- Melasma. This type of skin discoloration occurs due to fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. This condition is found most commonly in pregnant women.
- Vitiligo. This is a medical condition which is caused when melanocyte cells cease to function or die. It manifests itself in the form of white patches that appear on the skin.
- Sunburns and Tans. These appear on the skin in the form of dark patches, uneven splotches and burns. It is caused by unprotected and prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Tinea Versicolor. This type of skin discoloration is caused by a fungal infection that makes skin appear dull and flaky in patches. It occurs due to hormone level fluctuations or a malfunction in the immune system.
- Skin Cancer. When the skin gets affected by melanomas and carcinomas, it appears discolored. This type of discoloration changes shape, size and texture and requires the immediate attention of a specialist.
- Other causes of skin discoloration include genetic inheritance, allergic reactions and drug reactions. The diagnosis of treatment depends on the exact nature of the condition and varies from case to case.
Related Tip: Can Use of Sunscreen Reduce Skin's Aging?