Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Maithili S MuzoomdarYour feedback matters!
Depression in children is not a very uncommon phenomenon. But if the feeling of sadness persists over a period of time with little or no change to their behavior, then it can be seen as a symptom of depression. Children who are suffering from depression need immediate and utmost care as negligence may cause severe long term effects on the child. Read on to find more about them.
Symptoms that indicate childhood depression vary. Some of the different symptoms which indicate depression are:
- Social withdrawal
- Feeling of worthlessness
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Reduced ability to function during events
- Continuous feelings of sadness
- Physical complaints
- Depression in children can be caused due to the combination of a multitude of reasons.
- Children from a family history of depression are more likely to be suffering from depression.
- Similarly if the parents suffer from depression then it is more than likely that the child will also suffer from depression.
- Children from conflicted families or children and teens who are prone to substance or alcohol abuse can suffer from depression.
- Reasons such as physical health, environment, genetic vulnerability or biochemical disturbance can lead to depression.
The treatment process of depression in children is similar to that of adults and can be treated with psychotherapy and medication. If your child is depressed consult a general physician who after his or her diagnosis may refer you to a psychiatrist. The medical specialist will recommend psychotherapy.
In some instances, a child suffering from depression maybe be suicidal. Parents are advised to be vigilant and observe certain behavioral changes that the child may have adapted to or suddenly switched to.
Some of the signs are mentioned below:
- Changes in eating, sleeping or activities
- Isolating oneself even from family
- Talking of suicide, feeling helpless or hopeless
- Increased risk taking behavior
- Substance abuse
- Giving away possessions
Sessions at first and then opt for antidepressant medication if no significant progress is seen. The best results often result from a combination of prescribed medication along with multiple sessions of psychotherapy.
I have 2.5 month baby she is suffering from cold and cough from 1 week I saw her a child Dr. He gave him asthakind and switch drop but no benefit Can you suggest me any best treatment Thanks.
My baby is 4 months old. N we just shifted from kerala to rajasthan. When she turned 4 months. Now she looks slim. Her head seems small n doesn' t urinate as in kerala. Also didn' t pass stool since 2 days. Is something wrong ?
My baby is just 20 days old. While he born the weight is 2.8 kg. Now he gained nearly 400g. Tis is good or I have to reduce my feeding?
My 2.5 year playful son complained me for pain in stomach at around 8: 00 pm. However the pain was not continuous. Due to pain he took light dinner and refused to take remaining food. At 9: 30 pm he again started crying due to pain then he had loose motion (but not very loose). Then he vomited after taking ORS. After that he vomited 3 times within an hour. I have given him Domped (4.5 ml) and then he slept as he has no energy in his body, but after half an hour he again vomited. Please provide your suggestions.
1. Average weight 2.5-3.5kg
2. Average length 50cm.
3. Heart rate 130-140 pm
4. Meconium, first black stool passed in 24 hrs.
5. First milk, colostrum, rich in materials helpful for newborn.
6. Yellowish colour of eyes and skin within first 24 hours, matter of concern. After 48 hours normal, subsides by 5th day.
Prolongation of jaundice warrants consultation.
7. Cord falls of by 10th day.