Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Krishnakant ShahYour feedback matters!
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SID) refers to the unexplained and sudden death of a seemingly hale and hearty baby. This condition tends to occur when the baby is asleep and that's why it's also known as crib death. Although the reason for the condition is still not known, many experts have attributed the cause of the condition to abnormal development in the parts of the baby's brain that oversees breathing and awakening from sleep. Nonetheless, there are ways that can prevent the problem from occurring and which are:
- Always place your baby on the back to sleep - Sleeping on the back is the safest position that your baby should be in, whenever he or she sleeps. You shouldn't let your child sleep on the sides as he or she can roll onto the stomach, and may hamper the breathing process. You can place your baby on the stomach when he or she is awake.
- Place your baby on a firm surface to sleep sans of any objects - It's best to place your baby on a firm mattress to sleep while avoiding thick and feather padding like a thick comforter. At the same time, objects like toys, stuffed animals or pillows should be removed from the crib as they may get in the way of your child's breathing by pressing on his or her face.
- Make sure your baby doesn't become very hot - For keeping your baby warm during sleep, it's best to opt for sleep clothing or blanket made of light material so that it doesn't make him or her feel very hot. If using a blanket, it should be placed loosely over the baby and one should also remember to not cover the baby's head during sleep.
- Use a pacifier - Research suggests that the use of the pacifier can reduce a baby's chance of dying from SIDS. This is because the pacifier helps in preventing the baby from rolling over onto his or her stomach during sleep. At the same time, it's also believed that the instrument helps in keeping the baby's tongue positioned in a manner that keeps his or her airways open.
- Breastfeed your baby - Breastfeeding your baby for a minimum of 6 months can help in preventing the occurrence of SIDS. Several studies have revealed this beneficial aspect of breastfeeding.
Related Tip: 4 Worst Foods Ever To Feed Your Baby!
My son was 23 months old, he is suffering from heavy cold, since last night. Is there any home remedies. Please suggest me.
My daughter's have lots of hair growth on her back so how can remove it? My daughter's age is 4 year.
Hi sir my son is just 10 month and his teeth is coming and he is doing loose motion and vomiting suggest what to give him for relief.
I want to know a complete diet plan for my 4 months baby what to feed and when the correct time he doesn't take breastfeeding.
My five years old daughter is diagnosed with -2 diopter. How can I protect her from being high myopic.
I am an adult of 34 age(m). My child is having chicken pox. Some one suggested to take acyclovir -400 DT tablets 1 tablet per day for five days is it ok? Are there side effects because of this tablets. And this dosage is ok or I should take it more per day?
My 4 months baby boy has red rashes like daag by birth on both sides of his face it cured and return again after treatment.
Hello Doctor, My 2 year old son does not speak properly and fluently. He just able to speak few general words clearly e.g. Papa, mummy, mama, bike, dog, ball, bus. But not able to speak two words jointly. Also not learn new word easily. He not repeat any word behind you. He speaks only when he wants (Only few words). Please suggest if there any problem and what should we do in his case.
My son is 3 years old, he doesn't eat anything, we use hungry syrup, but no change, we are worrying about him, please give me a best suggestion for him, and one more thing he is always crying, what is the reason for crying?
My son was 8years old last month he had cough we went to Dr. after checking reports he said chestinfection given somemedecine the samecough is coming this month pm say somehomeremedies this problem.
My boy baby who is 2 years old, not eating food properly. If I force him he vomits it. So I left him to his wish. He eats only a little. Please give me solution to this. Can I give him any liquid like pediasure etc. Or can I give him tonics to arouse his hunger. If yes please mention names?
My kid is born as premature and now he is 1.9 Years old and weighing about 9.3kg. Please suggest how to increase his weight. We live in Hyderabad.
My baby is one month old and he stools every 2-3 hrs. A day. WHat is the problem? Suggest a medicine so that he will not stool frequently.
My son is 2 year old. He is a very happy, social and fun loving child. He is nauseatic lot many times and even throws up for last 7 to 10 days. I had shown him to his regular paediatric, she said there might be some stomach upset and gave to stop vomiting. It did not help and she changed it to Atarax drops, which didn't help either, so discontinued it after 2 doses after reading on the net that it's a very strong medicine. I referred him to one of the most senior most and reputed paediatric in my city. He said that the child's stomach is absolutely fine no need to give him any medicine, he is just trying to do it to grab your attention, just ignore. I told him most of the time he gets up from his afternoon nap and throws up. He said at times when kids are having anxiety they may do it, just ignore it. I did ignore for 2 to 3 days he was still vomiting (lesser quantity though but 2 to 3 times) . I started with probiotic sachet Reflora-R which has reduced his vomiting and nauseatic feeling a bit but not completely stopped. After vomiting the child is fine just like a normal happy child. Should I show him to a gastroenterologist or is it his anxiety?
Taking care of a newborn is round-the-clock job as the baby needs constant attention. There are many parents who get stressed out as taking care of a newborn as a first-time parent is challenging. There is no need to get stressed out and the best way to keep a cool mind is to make use of practical strategies.
Practical strategies to follow to stay stress-free
A newborn baby in the family definitely brings a lot of excitement, but it also brings along much stress and fatigue to the parents. It is very important that during this time, you take care of yourself by eating a healthy diet and avoid giving up on sleep.
- It is also essential that you drink a lot of water and when the baby sleeps you should also sleep. You can work out a suitable night time schedule with your partner so that both of you can take care of the baby and rest as well.
- This way, you will be able to take care of your baby without getting extremely tired.
- It is important that you set up some visiting rules for your relatives and loved ones so that you get the required rest. It is equally important that you insist your friends to wash their hands with a hand sanitiser and then carry the baby.
- As a parent, it is very important that each day you set aside plenty of time for the nursing sessions, and if you plan to go out you must give yourself added time to pack the required supplies.
- It is essential that you spend more time with your newborn as it needs more attention and love from you.
- It is very important that you create a proper and perfect sleeping environment for your baby, and you should make use of a good mattress so that the baby sleeps comfortably and even you get to sleep.
Share your emotions with your partner
It is important for parents of a newborn to share their emotions with each other and stay connected with each other. By sharing your thoughts and emotions, you can lighten your mood. Parenting is definitely a challenging job and to enjoy this phase of life, it is important that the stress associated with it is handled properly. In case you are finding it hard to handle your baby, it is advisable that you consult a doctor, who will help you adjust to your new life with your newborn.