Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Kishori Kadam
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Kishori KadamYour feedback matters!
Fructose a sugar common in the western diet can damage hundreds of brain genes in a way that could lead to a range of diseases from diabetes to cardiovascular disease and from Alzheimer's to attention deficit hyperactivity disorders.
What is the proper period of intercourse to have pregnancy for my wife, we r newly married couple, I mean period of intercourse after menstruations cycle is over.
I am 21 years old female. I had unprotected sex on 1st sept and took ipill within 4 hours of sex. Next day I got cold, flu,body ache, sore throat from which I am suffering till now, i.e, 6th sept. Also I took tablet for cold and sore throat on 5th sept. ALSO LAST MONTH: I did protected sex last month and took ipill and got my last periods normal on 16th august. I want to know what are chances of pregnancy and how much effective is ipill? Thank you.
1. What is Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)? When is it recommended?
IUI is a procedure where semen is instilled inside the uterus of a woman after it has been processed in the laboratory. IUI is done at the time of ovulation.
It is recommended in cases of male factor infertility like low sperm counts or motility and also in case of unexplained infertility so as to improve the chances of pregnancy.
2. How does IUI increase the chance of pregnancy?
In IUI, the washed sperms are deposited directly into the uterus at the time of ovulation. By this, there are more chances for gametes (eggs and sperms) to fertilise and cause pregnancy.
3. What is the best period to do an IUI?
The best period to do an IUI is immediately after ovulation (egg release).
4. How is it performed? Or Description of IUI procedure in brief?
IUI is a simple, non-painful procedure. Firstly, the husband's semen is collected and then prepared in the laboratory so that we can get the maximum number of good motile sperms. Thereafter the woman (wife) is positioned to lie down and a speculum is inserted in the vagina. Semen wash in loaded in a sterile plastic catheter and introduced through the cervix into the uterine cavity and is then injected slowly.
5. What are the pre-IUI treatment steps?
1) Screening tests for both husband and wife is done.
2) Tubal patency test of a wife is desirable.
3) Ovulation induction with medications
4) Follicular monitoring by ultrasound.
5) Timing of ovulation by giving an HCG trigger injection (for egg release) when the follicles are mature (greater than 20 mm).
6) 36-40 hours later, semen is processed and IUI is done.
6. Are there extra precautions to be taken after IUI procedure?
A woman is asked to lie down for 15-30 minutes after IUI procedure, thereafter she can resume her routine activities. She is asked to take prescribed medications on time as advised.
7. Can the sperm fall out?
No, sperms don't fall out after IUI.
8. Where is the sperm accumulated? How long sperm survive after timed intercourse of IUI?
Sperm accumulate in cervical crevices during intercourse and can survive for 72 hours
9. What is the method for sperm freezing, if a partner is not available at the IUI procedure time?
The semen sample is processed first in the laboratory and the semen wash is then frozen by putting this in liquid nitrogen. Thereafter, this frozen sample can be used anytime, like on the day of IUI even when a husband is not around.
10. How long frozen sperm can be stored?
Frozen sperms can be stored as long as desired.
11. Can using of frozen sperm increase the likelihood having a child with birth defects?
No, using frozen sperms does not increase chances of birth defects.
12. Do I need to take extra precautions after IUI?
No extra precautions are needed after IUI, just take the medicines on time as advised by the doctor.
13. How long does it take for fertilization and for implantation?
Fertilization takes roughly 12-18 hours and implantation occur around the 5th day after ovulation.
14. What kind of examination is usually done for an IUI cycle?
Ultrasound monitoring (transvaginal probe) is usually done in IUI cycles.
15. How long prior to an IUI should the couple abstain from intercourse?
An abstinence period of 2-3 days is advisable before IUI to get the best sperm sample from a partner.
16. What is 'washed' sperm?
'Washed sperm' is actually the processed semen prepared in the laboratory using various media. By this process, toxins and dead sperms are removed from semen so that it can be put directly in the uterine cavity.
17. What is donor IUI?
When husband semen has no sperms (azoospermia) then, sperms can be taken from sperm banks and IUI can be done, this is called a donor IUI.
18. After an IUI, how soon can I have intercourse?
After the IUI, there is no restriction to have intercourse.
19. Can IUI be used for gender selection?
NO, IUI cannot be used for gender selection.
20. Is the process painful?
NO, IUI process is not at all painful. It is equivalent to a gynecological examination.