Find numerous Psychiatrists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Critical Care Procedures
Treatment Of Learning Disorders
Management of Emergency Conditions
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Manual Therapy Treatment
Memory Improvement Techniques
Submit a review for Dr. KeerthikYour feedback matters!
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time. Please help me.
Hi, I'm 25 years old male. Whenever i'm in the state of anxiety/fear or nervous situations, my hands are shaking. I encountered this problem at the age of 18. Can you please let me know the remedies for this? If I need to see a doctor, which specialist should I consult?
I have headache, neck pain, foot pain, and hand pain, leg pain how to get a solution please give me answer.
Hi am 27 years male. Whenever am alone I feel fear about devils this that not sleeping correctly. Morning I will b alright. Right now m staying alone in metro city. If I see my 5years I never ever feared I was with my family. Please advise.
Hello myself pratik maru I am chain smoker in the age of 15 I started it will give me more problem in future. I smoke daily 5 cig.
I want to know why some people are born brave while some are born fearful, Why this happens or it is a conditioning process. I am coward and I want to be very brave means bravest of all but I found it impossible to be brave. So can I become brave if I am coward So I read books on mind and it said it depends on structure of mind So how does structure of mind forms and under whose control it is I get scared easily from childhood while my other friend is brave from birth itself. Is it genetic or conditioning or any other process. How come cowards and bravest people are formed Indirectly how come our nature forms and can it be changed (I am coward or fearful nature person but I want to be brave like discovery people but I fail to become it and I get sad Can I change my nature I. E be brave, less jealous, less angry at my age which is 21 years Please reply I cannot clarify more than this.
I can't able to study with concentration. Because I am in one side love with a girl. Ger thoughts are disturbing me. Say me a solution for this please.
What is the good medicine for hallucinations, thought disorders, weeping or silent without reason, negative thoughts, not to talk with any person. Is Escitalopram is good or amisulpride?
The human body can be compared to a very sophisticated engine that gets its power supply from the food that is eaten. Various organs require fuel for different activities be it walking, standing, stretching or even just regular maintenance where cells are constantly replaced.
The brain is one of the most complex organs in the human body. While it may not do a stretching or a jogging, it constantly needs power supply to function effectively. And as is very obvious, the body reflects the eating patterns. It is not likely that a person eating a very healthy diet would end up obese; nor does a person who is athletic eat a lot of unrefined and processed foods.
The power supply also defines how effectively the organs function, especially in the brain. Good nutrition helps good functioning of the brain. Recent studies have shown that a healthy diet can help avoid mental disorders like depression, schizophrenia problem, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), etc. This field of study is called the nutritional psychiatry.
Listed below are some food substances and how they affect brain functioning:
- Carbohydrates: These induce the production of insulin, which causes release of sugar into the body. Increased amount of sugar in the body produces better activity and mood. Tryptophan, a significant neurotransmitter is also released and further enhances mood and well-being. Eating fruits and whole grains, which contain a good amount of carbohydrates is believed to have beneficial effects on the brain, albeit slower in onset.
- Proteins: Foods such as fish, eggs, dairy, greens, peas, legumes are rich in protein and contain amino acids, which are the essential ingredients of the various neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. Lack of amino acids like tyrosine can impair production of serotonin, leading to decreased feeling of well-being.
- Fats: The gray matter of the brain contains about 50% polyunsaturated fats, and various essential fatty acids are very essential for optimal brain functioning. Decreased levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are shown to cause depression. Decreased levels of Omega-3 also leads to dyslexia and autism.
- Minerals: Various minerals are very essential for proper functioning of the brain, though they are required in very minute quantities. Calcium, chromium, iodine, iron, lithium, selenium, and zinc are some of the minerals identified as important for brain function.
- B-complex: Vitamin B2 and B6 have been proven to enhance mood and improve cognitive performance.
- Vitamin B12: In addition to delaying the onset of dementia, it also improves cerebral functioning.
- Folate: Reduced levels lead to depression and also limit the functioning of antidepressants.
As is evident, nutrition plays a very important role and a little care can help improve brain functioning to a large extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized dietitian and nutritionist and ask a free question.