Find numerous Oncologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Oncologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Kamran KhanYour feedback matters!
He Is in bad condition due to extra enlarge prostate of size 117 please tell me any medicine name which will work immediately.
New research on urinary and sexual outcomes could eventually help prostate cancer patients decide on their course of treatment.
“The ultimate goal is to develop a predictive tool that lets patients decide which treatment is right for them based on the symptoms they have beforehand, and their tolerance for any change – even temporary – in those symptoms,” said researcher Matthew Johnson, MD in a press release. Dr. Johnson is a resident physician in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
Dr. Johnson and his colleagues presented their study findings in September at the American Society for Radiation Oncology’s 56th Annual Meeting.
Their data came from two study groups of men with prostate cancer who received one of four treatments: intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), low dose rate brachytherapy (LDR), post-prostatectomy IMRT (PPRT), or radical prostatectomy (RP).
Using questionnaires, the researchers assessed the men’s symptoms at baseline and after treatment.
One group of 3,515 men completed the American Urological Association Symptom Score, designed to evaluate urinary symptoms. Over 14,500 surveys were completed. Lower scores on this tool indicate better urinary function. This group was followed for a median of 28 months.
For patients who received IMRT, follow-up scores were slightly lower than baseline. PPRT patients had similar results. LDR patients tended to see an initial score increase when compared to IMRT patients, but fell back to comparable levels after 34 months. Men who underwent RP had lower scores at baseline and after treatment.
The Sexual Health Inventory for Men (SHIM) questionnaire was used to evaluate sexual symptoms in a group of 857 men who completed more than 2,600 surveys. Higher SHIM scores are associated with better sexual function. The median follow-up time was 18 months.
The scores of men who were treated with LDR and PPRT were not much different from those treated with IMRT. However, men who had had RP had the largest score decreases between baseline and follow-up.
These results could help clinicians counsel patients with prostate cancer, the authors noted. In this way, patients could have a better idea of what to expect in terms of urinary and sexual symptoms.
American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
Johnson, M.E., et al.
“A Comparison of Urinary and Sexual Function Patient Reported Outcomes (PROs) Among Treatment Modalities for Prostate Cancer (PCa)”
(Abstract presented at ASTRO’s 56th Annual Meeting. September 16, 2014. Presentation #180)
Fox Chase Cancer Center
“Fox Chase Study Helps Identify When and How Much Various Prostate Cancer Treatments will Impact Urinary and Sexual Functioning”
(News release. September 16, 2014)
- See more at: http://www.issm.info/news/sex-health-headlines/prostate-cancer-treatments-and-urinary-sexual-functioning#sthash.Tym9DcEt.dpuf
Her mother was a cervical cancer patient. Please let me know that 1. Is this type of disease is hereditary? 2. If yes. For taking precaution what she should?
Hi, now a days major problem is cancer. What r the ways to prevent it. Pls give some suggestions for not getting that. Food that we can keep in the diet which help in preventing the cancer. Thanks.
My question is that have any doctor came across a person who masturbated more than 5 times a day for more than 5 years. And he got any type of urological or adrenal gland cancer. If there please tell me.
Do any kind of lump in a breast ultimately become cancer. What measure should be taken to prevent breast cancer? Do breast cancer affect heart function?
Pain in breast from some days, want to know why its happening, this for the first time m facing this problem. What could be the problem. Do I need to consult doctor for this .pls help me.
I am a 75 years old. My PSA last year was 4.03 this year it has elevated to 5.83. This has me stressed and worried. My urologist has recommend I have a biopsy. I have been reading and go ogling about prostate cancer and biopsies. The more I read and learn, the more confused I get. I am 50- to get a.
My father has gone from prostate surgery 10 days back, & doctor has not removed catheter yet, looking to consult good urologist, as till how much days catheter need to keep, worried that may not having any serious issue. My father also having high sugar need suggestion what o do.
I am 60 years having smoking habits since last 35 years. There is no problem right now. Getting checked every year tests are OK. Being smoker, possibility of development of cancer in any part of body. As precautionary measures tests to beconcducted to know any cancerous growth in body.
Skin cancer most often develops on skin that has faced sun exposure. At the same time, it can also affect skin areas that haven't been exposed to sun's rays. Do you know, skin cancer can be prevented by consuming some foods? Yes, and there are some out there:
1. Fatty fish - Including fatty fish in your diet can shield you against melanoma as they contain the beneficial nutrient Omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, these kinds of fatty acids are considered to be best for consumption as unlike saturated fats, they don't increase your risk for certain types of cancer. A study in the International Journal of Epidemiology reveals that individuals who consume a diet containing fish that is high in these healthy fats have low rates of this form of cancer.
2. Vegetables - This is another food option that is known to possess strong skin cancer-fighting properties. Dark leafy veggies like spinach, kale and broccoli can aid fighting against melanoma. A pigment found in tomatoes called lycopene has properties that guard you against cardiovascular diseases as well as cancers of all kinds. Similarly, the pigment carotenoids found in vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, etc are known to protect against sunburn.
3. Herbs - Including herbs in your diet can help in replenishing the minerals and vitamins that get depleted due to the action of the sun. According to experts, about 80% of your body's vitamin levels see a reduction when you stay under the sun for 30-45 minutes. Basil, parsley, and rosemary are a few of the herbs that possess cancer-fighting qualities.
4. Flaxseeds - The unique qualities of flaxseed make it the best option against skin cancer. It contains both antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids, making it an all-around solution to fighting skin cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.