Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. KalvariaYour feedback matters!
My baby is 5 days old her skin become yellow when releasing pressure over bones. What to do? She passes greenish stool, her birth wait is 2.8 kg caesarian delivery.
My child is suffering from cough and cold since a week. Chest blocked. what should i do ? Suggestion please help
My new born baby makes some disturbing voices even at his sleep. In malayalam we call it as'muuree. I am not sure of the english term. Pls help wht to do. Is this normal?
My baby (girl) is just one and half month old. Now she is given dexolac premium (other than mother' s milk). Should I continue the same brand for 6 months? or I can change it to nestle nan 1 or lactogen 1?
On 7 Nov 2016 my wife 9 months completed. But 7 now early morning baby seems no moment. the doctor said baby was not getting heartbeat, ultrasound report show the baby was dead. I Have Big loss. Just tell me the reason Doctor?
Sexual abuse of children may sound very scary and degrading, but the truth is it is a very prevalent problem. As much we may not want to believe, the number of boys and girls who are sexually abused, and that too by close family and friends is very high. This may be difficult to digest, but is the truth. The sexual abuse in male and female children is 50% in each group which is again unbelievable but true.
What is considered child sexual abuse?
Child sexual abuse includes touching and non-touching activity. Some examples of touching activity include:
- touching a child's genitals or private parts for sexual pleasure.
- making a child touch someone else's genitals, play sexual games or have sex putting objects or body parts (like fingers, tongue or penis) inside the vagina, in the mouth or in the anus of a child for sexual pleasure.
The thing to ponder, however, is that people who abuse children have a deeper problem. This could be due to a combination of social and psychological issues that the person is facing. Often helping identify the underlying problem could be a solution to the problem too, but this is rarely done. If you think a child could be subjected to abuse, look out for the following symptoms.
- A feeling of guilt or shame.
- Irritability and anger with minimal reasons.
- Mood swings, often uncommon in children.
- Feeling very isolated and sad.
- Very anxious and angry.
- Symptoms of withdrawal, not wanting to be left alone.
- Fatigue and pain in the back, legs.
- Loss of appetite, energy.
- Bruises (look out for these, which may not be in visible areas).
How to handle?
Given the fact that the offender is in close family and/or friends circle, the suspicion levels are quite low.
- The first step, therefore, is to open up and talk with either your parents or someone close.
- Look for support groups which can be very helpful.
- Do not be isolated though the urge is very strong.
- Build a daily schedule to ensure your routine continues (studies, work, etc.).
- Focus on exercise or other passions as they help you deviate your mind.
- Be sure to not be alone with the offender, stay in a group.
- Give out a strong message saying it is not acceptable, and do not keep quiet.
Homoeopathy can come rescue of the offender all well as the victim. If we see according to the point of view of who committed the crime, many reasons may come to the light and we can be treated accordingly. Usually, these criminals have a very painful and sad childhood. This could lead them to commit a crime like child abuse.
The following are the medicines to treat such people with anti-social behaviour-
- Nux V.
There are certain homoeopathic medicines which are helpful in the treatment of children who are victimized. The most common symptom is nightmares.
For treatment for actual physical and mental symptoms of the victim child, following homoeopathic medicines may help:
- Nat. mur.
Homeopathy is a safe and effective way to treat the victims as well as the culprits of sexual abuse. It focuses on the way patients have reacted to events and the personality of the patient. It helps to bring complete harmony of physical, mental and social well being.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath.
My baby is 3 months old. He has chest congestion from last 4 days. I am giving him maxtra 6 drops thrice and asthalin 1.5 ml thrice a day. Now the mucus became loose and it came into his throat. He becomes very uncomfortable at that time. What to do ?
My baby is 5 months old. He is not getting proper milk through breastfeeding. What should I give him?
What is Hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B can be defined as the viral infection of the liver. It is caused by Hepatitis B virus (HBV). It is the most common type of virus and can affect a person adversely if left undetected and untreated.
What are the risks to the baby born to Hepatitis B mother?
If the mother has Hepatitis B, there are chances of transfer of virus to the baby. Transmission can occur while the baby is in utero, during delivery and in postpartum period. Most of the cases are due to transmission of virus at the time of delivery due to exposure to blood. That virus can infect the baby and can cause hepatitis in the baby. Baby can become a chronic carrier and can develop liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma in later life.
Does breast milk contain Hepatitis B Virus?
Yes, HBV can be found in the breast milk of 70% of carrier mothers, but there is no evidence of transmission of Hepatitis B through mother's milk.
Can Hepatitis B Positive mother give breastfeed to her baby?
Yes, according to WHO and UNICEF guidelines breastfeeding can be given, as breast milk is the natural and optimal feed to the baby. Mother feeding in hepatitis B positive mother infant can be made more safe by immunisation of the baby with Hepatitis B Vaccine and Hepatitis B immunoglobulin . Hepatitis B vaccine and immunoglobulins are to be given within 12hrs of delivery and the vaccine should be repeated after 1 month and 6 months. This will substantially reduce perinatal transmission and virtually eliminate any risk of transmission through breastfeeding or breast milk feeding. Immunization of infants will also prevent infection from all other modes of HBV transmission. Exclusive breast feeding is to be continued till 6 months of age .Start complementary feeds at 6 months of age and along with that continue breast feeding for two years.
What to do if Hepatitis B positive mother has sore or cracked or bleeding nipples?
Mothers should breastfeed the baby carefully so that she would not get cracked or sore nipple. In case she gets sore or cracked or bleeding for nipple ,stop breast feeding and take treatment for sore nipples. Because sore nipples or cracked nipples can transmit the virus through exposure to blood . During that period she should express the milk and discard it. She should resume the feeding after the nipples are healed.
My Daughter (Age 10 month) has been suffering from fever (101-102, by underarm) from last 3 days. First day her nose was running a lot. But next day onward her nose was ok. On third day there was no fever for almost 18 hrs but again at mid night she got fever. I am giving her Maxtra-P (60ml) according to doctor. Should I go for antibiotic? Is it viral fever or common cold.
My child's, who is 2yrs 5months old, mouth stinks in morning, now he is having cold, cough and fever. Even after medication its been a week, although I am consulting good docs for fever and cold but can h suggest ways so that I can keep him cold and cough and fever proof for longer time.
I am having a one year old baby boy. He is not eating anything besides needed milk by his mother. What should we do?
Dear All, you are requested to suggest me that my baby boy is one years old and he is 8.5 kg only. How can grow his weight and health please advice me it my kind request. My child is not drinking milk any drop. Regards
Children need a variety of different foods each day.
Snacks are an important part of a healthy diet for active children.
Make snacks nutritious, not just high in energy.
Plan to share meals as a family.
Enjoy talking and sharing the day’s happenings at mealtimes.
Let children tell you when they’re full.
Give your child lunch to take from home.
Let children help with food preparation and meal planning.
Encourage physical activities for the whole family.
Encourage children to drink plain water.
Stomach aches or abdominal pains are one of the most frequently reported health complaints faced by children. Children below the age of twelve are known to suffer from recurrent stomach pain. While pains such as these lead to momentary discomfiture, they also lay the path for graver worries if neglected for too long. Your child may feel sick and bunk school for two days; rest and home care can restore his or her health, but that in no way, is the best suited way of dealing with the situation. If tummy aches resurface over a certain period of time, parents should be cautious enough to look for the root cause and should try to eliminate it accordingly.
Widely noticed causes of stomach aches in children:
- Unhygienic food can affect the child’s digestive system.
- Intolerance to a certain food item should not be overlooked.
- Perpetual anxiety can make the tummy twist and turn.
- Urinary Tract Infections can also lead to acute abdominal pain.
- Serious factors such as gallstones or appendicitis could also be present. Immediate expert consultation is advised in such a case.
- Caffeine and packaged soft drinks can be harmful.
- Butter, ghee and other greasy products can trigger tummy aches.
Ways to treat tummy aches in children:
- Keep children away from gas producing food items: Food that is hard to digest should be avoided. Lentil soup or dal should only be consumed in limited amounts to prevent the formation of gas. Don’t let your child have too many nuts regularly.
- Keep them hydrated: Fluid intake should be monitored. A child should drink at least six to seven glasses of water per day. Fruit juices or soups can also be given to them alongside main meals. This helps digestion.
- Do not stack up food in one go: Eating a lot in one meal is a bad way of satisfying hunger. Have smaller meals in more numbers. Six to eight meals will keep your child full and will also eliminate chances of acid reflux which happens either due to an empty stomach or too much piling up of greasy food.
- Timely check - up with the doctor: If tummy aches refuse to go away, take your child to a doctor for a thorough check- up. Administer medicines as prescribed by the physician.
As a parent, we all love our children deeply. And most of us will agree that these days parenting is very demanding and exhausting instead of pleasurable and joyous process. What has changed? It is not that children are any different. The difference is in the environment around them with stronger social influences; and this also affects the way we parent. In today's more democratic and egalitarian world; 'Do as I say and not as I do' style of parenting does not work. But, 'I will do as I see you doing' phrase from kids define our parent child relationship.
With change in social environment and influence, our strategies for correcting their behaviour and impart discipline has to undergo adaptation! When there are so many confusing and conflicting signals reach to our kids from their environment, whether we like it or not, we are still their role models. How positive parenting style will help? The core principle of positive parenting is to accept your child as an individual. We are in a democratic society and family is a small yet important part of society. Democracy does not mean allowing disrespectful and irresponsible behaviour; rather to effectively help kids change their behaviour and create harmonious and cooperative relationship with them. It also means that we as a parent need to learn to think, act and react in a different way.
Through, positive parenting, you will learn respectful disciplining methods, which would work better than demanding compliance. Through these principles and tips you will get your child to listen without screaming, nagging, reminding or evoking rebellious behaviour. More importantly this is all about building stronger relationship bond with your children and nurture them through early childhood to teen age years as they become independent, responsible, capable, kind, happy and successful young adults.
Tips to get you started:
- Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, including children.
- When your kid misbehaves instead of shouting or hitting, control your anger and respond in a calm and respectful way. Calmer but firmer tone and lower voice, yet not giving into their repeated demand, is much more effective as a discipline tool compare to nagging.
- Understandable that you have a lot on your plate, such as work, managing and keeping the home in order, managing meals and other outside responsibilities, kids sports or extracurricular activities, family obligations and so on. It is easy to get lost in all these 'have to do' activities. Parenting shouldn't be just one more task to deal with. Reconnecting with your parenting goals and aspirations periodically will help take the stress out of it and add fun into it. Spend some time daily (10 minutes will do as well!) to just listen and enjoy your child (without correcting them or giving them suggestion to improve!).
- Let your love for them be the driving force. Shift your internal conversations from 'have to' to 'want to'. As you do enormous things for your child each day, think how you are supporting their ambitions. How you are helping them become independent and strong. How you are nurturing qualities like compassion and deep listening by extending yourself.
- Give promises and keep them. As your children grow they need much more than your words to trust and rely on you. Keeping your promises, letting them know if you need to change the plan, taking their opinion in appropriate matter will go a long way.
- Seek to understand and do not impose yourself on your child. Especially when they are in their teenage, as a parent you have lot of worries, you are afraid of them making mistakes and of course you want to protect them from vices. Listening to them while keeping your focus on genuinely understanding them is the only way to go, when they know you understand them and they can trust you, the street between both of you turns two way street! They will be open to your wisdom and suggestion when they are at the cross road.
- Last but not the least, 'be a role model'. Don't preach. If they see you disrespecting others, they will not respect you. If they see you hooked on your smart phone; that is their license to keep theirs in front of their eyes 24/7. If you are hooked in front of the TV till late night and haven't picked up a book in last 6 months. Advice about reading is going to fall on dumb ears. In short, be the change you want to see in your children.
- Have family nights at least once in a week, play cards, board games or go for a walk together. Talk and listen. Just be there and listen without judgement and criticism, without thinking about how to correct them. Just enjoy each other's company and see how they are changing their opinion about you. Positive parenting doesn't mean you will never have problems in your family. You will? if you are alive and growing family. Positive parenting style will open up the avenues to keep communication alive; it will open your children to your influence. Isn't it something that we all wish for!!