Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ganesh Solanke
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Ganesh SolankeYour feedback matters!
My daughter fell down a few days ago from swing n hurt her back. Though the injury is very small bit it still pains. It is on the spine n little reddish. What should I do?
In market there are two types of bala goli available. Kesariya bala goli Zandu bala goli Is it safe for 1.5 month baby? Can we give it our baby 1goli everyday?
My 4 years old baby boy of late complains of severe abdominal pain in upper portion around navel area, I applied medicine after seeing doctor, no he is not getting any relief, what should I do? what is causing the pain?
Women love the fact that breastfeeding can safeguard them from general illnesses such as cold and fever. However, there is a bigger pie to cheer about. Apparently, it has been found that breastfeeding can lower the risk of breast cancer as well. Not to forget, breastfeeding is extremely crucial for a baby. It can help him/her to increase immunity and stay away from major diseases.
Facts from major studies:
- A study published in the Lancet, 2002 showed that women who breastfeed for 12 months at a stretch can reduce the chances of breast cancer by a good 4.3 percent compared to the ones who did not breastfeed. The study was performed on over 1,50,000 women and brought enough substance to the theory.
- A study conducted on 60,000 women and published in the Archives of Internal Medicine reported that a woman who has a family history of breast cancer can mitigate the risk of breast cancer, if she breastfed before her menopause.
- A study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute reported that women from African ancestry often develop an acute form of cancer known as the estrogen receptor-negative and triple-negative. Breastfeeding can significantly hedge the risk of developing this form of breast cancer.
- A collaborative study published in Annals of Oncology, a famous journal, reported that the chances of developing hormone-receptor negative breast cancer can be negated by 20 percent if a woman breastfed before her menopause.
How does breastfeeding reduce the risk of cancer?
Some researches suggest that women who breastfeed get fewer menstrual cycle compared to the ones who do not. This means low exposure to estrogen for breastfeeding women. It is a common knowledge that estrogen can fuel breast cancer. There is a second theory that suggests that breastfeeding makes the cells of the breasts more resistive to mutation. Therefore, the breast can block cancer.
There is the other factor of lifestyle changes. Women tend to do away with drinking, smoking, eating junk food, and leading an undisciplined life. Once these are given up and replaced with healthy lifestyle practices, the chances of breast cancer automatically come down.
How long should one breastfeed to refrain from breast cancer?
There is no concrete answer to this question. Most studies show that longer the duration of breastfeeding, lower the chances of breast cancer. But, in general, a year of breast feeding is a safe number and can reduce the chance of breast cancer by almost 20 percent, as revealed by many studies. If, however, a woman fails to breastfeed, there is no need to stress. A healthy lifestyle can go a long way in surviving breast cancer.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
12 years old girl Suffering from allergic cough since birth. Cough will be throughout the year. She is avoiding fridge items and all. Still she is getting. Please suggest.
What is ADHD?
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity or ADHD is a brain disorder that has seen a sudden rise in the recent years. It is most prevalent among children, however, if left untreated, adults too can continue showing ADHD traits that started in their childhood. In the USA alone, over two million children are currently under treatment for ADHD. As per a study conducted by Skogli and others in 2013, ADHD is more commonly found in boys than in girls, with a ratio of 3:1.
Causes and symptoms:
Researchers are still exploring the factors that may cause ADHD. However, there are chances that this disorder is hereditary. In this fast moving world parents often fail to provide their child with proper attention and care leading to ADHD. It has been found that ADHD is more prevalent among single parent families.
ADHD symptoms range between mild, moderate to severe. These symptoms normally start before the age of twelve, while in some children they may start as early as three. Children with ADHD fail to pay proper attention, easily get distracted, frequently forget to do daily activities, may avoid or dislike tasks that require mental effort and have trouble organizing tasks and activities. Other symptoms include hyperactivity and hypersensitivity - like talking too much, interrupt other’s conversation. If you notice these symptoms in your child don’t hesitate to consult an expert.
Homeopathy in Treating ADHD
Unlike conventional medicine, homeopathy is non-toxic, safe and yet effective. In conventional treatment medicines like Ritalin/methylphenidate and other psychiatric drugs are used. Although these drugs may provide some short-term benefits, however, are ineffective when it comes to long-term benefits. Above all these medications have side-effects such as restlessness, anxiety, tremors, headaches, allergic reactions, dizziness, abdominal discomfort among many. Some children may even experience a dramatic reduction in height. These side-effects make the parents and doctors explore other alternatives to treat ADHD before resorting to conventional medicine.Homeopathy is a viable alternative to treat children and individuals with ADHD.
Various researchers have acknowledged that homeopathy is a much safer treatment with good results. According to Frei and Thurneysen(2001), homeopathic medicines have same benefits to that of conventional drugs like Ritalin. However, homeopathic medicines don’t have the side effects that Ritalin has. Overall Ritalin showed 65 percent improvement rate, while homeopathic medicines showed an impressive 73 percent improvement rate.
Standard Homeopathic remedies to treat ADHD –
As homeopathic medicines are non-toxic and safe to use, one doesn’t necessarily need a prescription to buy them. There are several popular homeopathic remedies that one may use to treat ADHD. Stramonium is one such popular remedy; it is obtained from Datura stramonium. Other popular remedies include Cina, Hyoscyamus, Tuberculinum, Vertaal and Arseniod. These are some of the remedies that may be used to treat ADHD, however before taking any medicine always consult a licensed medical practitioner.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My baby born on 27th July, today is the 6th day, still baby is in nicu, the baby breath supported by ventilator. First three days was in machine support. Then they have reduced now 50%. I'm confused totally. My baby weight is 2 kg. 33 weeks completed. I don't know when will my baby come to my hand? My breast milk production also started. The baby was taken by cesarian. Kindly give the solution for my problem.
Coughing is a common problem of the respiratory tract and often indicates a deeper problem. It can be very irritating and can affect eating habits and socialization. A cough which persists for more than 4 weeks is believed to be chronic in nature. Tuberculosis (TB) is the most common cause of chronic cough in India. TB is an airborne bacterial infection caused by the organism, 'Mycobacterium tuberculosis', that primarily affects the lungs, although other organs and tissues may be involved. Cardinal features are:
- Chronic cough with or without sputum.
- Fever more in the night time.
- Poor appetite.
- Unintentional weight loss.
Read on to know about other common causes of chronic cough and how to manage them.
- Allergies: People with allergies usually have a chronic cough, which gets aggravated when exposed to the allergens such as pollen or environmental dust. Staying away from allergen provides relief. Antihistamines are also useful, which most people detected with allergies keep in handy. Inhalers might be required, if there is associated congestion or shortness of breath.
- Asthma: This is a very common chronic condition, caused by inflammation and swelling of the lungs, in addition to wheezing and shortness of breath. Asthma patients often suffer from a chronic cough. An asthma attack usually happens during the night or early morning, and is triggered by colds, cigarette smoke, air pollutants or allergens, which can even include certain foods. Most asthmatics usually carry their steroids, inhalers, and bronchodilators, as the onset of attack can be unpredictable.
- Bronchitis: This condition of inflammation of the bronchial region is very common among smokers and among the elderly. There is excessive mucus accumulation, which the body tries to clear via coughing. The lungs are weakened and therefore, the coughing is painful.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): This is a problem of the digestive system, but regurgitation of food into the airway induces cough. GERD is a chronic issue and so most people also end up with a chronic cough. It is worse with sitting up than with sitting down. Treatment includes H2 blockers to suppress acid production and dietary changes including small, frequent meals and avoiding spicy food items.
- Upper airway cough syndrome: There could be multiple problems in the upper airway, which leads to a constant postnasal drip. Here, there is constant dripping of the sputum into the air passage, which can lead to a chronic cough whenever there is impaired air flow. This can be caused by various forms of chronic sinusitis and rhinitis. People diagnosed with this condition usually resort to antihistamines and decongestants for relief.
- Other causes: There are a number of other causes as noted below. Smoking, tuberculosis, congestive heart failure, pertussis or whooping cough, foreign body in the airway, cancer in the airway passage, chronic aspiration of foods, etc. can all lead to chronic cough.
The key is to identify the reason that is causing the chronic cough. Most people who are diagnosed are educated to handle it and carry the required medications including steroids, bronchodilators, and inhalers. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.