Find numerous Psychiatrists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Diwan Pradnya JitendraYour feedback matters!
In today's fast paced world, the number of cases of teenagers with serious mental health problems like anxiety disorders have quadrupled. An anxiety disorder affects the thinking, feelings as well as the behaviour of a young person. It is important to seek professional help if one sees any of the warning signs of anxiety disorder in a youngster. Most of the normal anxiety issues are short lived and the feelings may last for few hours. However, an anxiety problem becomes an anxiety disorder when anxious feelings are very intense, severe and last for weeks or months. They start interfering in a youngster's ability to socialise, learn and daily activities.
Let's talk specific:
1. Aviophobia: Fear of flying, also known as aviophobia, is an anxiety disorder classified as a situational Specific Phobia. The person with fear of flying, heights has a continuing and excessive fear triggered by flying or the thought of flying or heights. Typically, flying is avoided or endured with intense anxiety, which may take the form of a panic attack.
2. Claustrophobia: Claustrophobia is a fear of being in an enclosed space. Thus, being trapped in a lift scare those who have such phobia. Also, travelling through a tunnel or metro makes people anxious if you have claustrophobia. A person suffering can often feel distressed just with the thought of being in a bus, train or plane. Usually any small, enclosed space would trigger a panic attack, especially if you felt trapped.
The problem with this way of thinking is it spreads to other places. Subways, lifts, small rooms are the classic scenario, but the intense fear of the person is not restricted just to these places. The fear and the panic can be experienced in any place where the person perceives a confinement, closeness or trapped feeling.
If anxiety disorder in a youngster is ignored and left untreated, it can have long-term consequences on the mental health and can hamper development. The first step is to talk with the youngster and others who might be able to help like a general practitioner, school counsellor, family members or other parents. Identification of a teenage anxiety problem is difficult as youngsters are good at hiding their feelings and thoughts. They are able to mask those feelings with aggressive behaviour or withdrawal.
Young people might be diagnosed with more than one type of anxiety disorder. Social phobia or social anxiety disorder occurs when one develops an intense fear of being judged or embarrassed in public. Excessive worry about everyday situations is called as generalised anxiety disorder. Panic disorder is repeated, unexpected panic attacks where one encounters panic in a situation where most people wouldn't be afraid. Excessive fear of being separated from home or a loved one is separation anxiety disorder.
There are many things that one can do to support the youngster mentally and reduce the risk.
Strong family support and relationships have shown to help protect youngsters from anxiety disorders. Seeking professional help early for the youngster is the best thing one can do when symptoms are seen or the youngster is experiencing severe anxious feelings which are interfering with his normal activities.
One must not ignore or dismiss youngster's fears.
Encourage him gently to do things that make him anxious, but do not push him to situations that he does not want to face. Also, praise him for doing things he's anxious about. Refer the youngster as brave and not anxious or shy. Set up a role model for him by managing your own stress and anxiety. A professional help for an anxiety disorder is vital for youngster's healthy development. Psychological treatment concentrates on strategies to help youngsters cope up with anxiety. Anti-depressants drugs are used to reduce the symptoms of anxiety disorders. One should also stop or reduce consumption of caffeine products such as coffee, tea, cola, energy drinks and chocolate.
Here are Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment of Anxiety Disorders
Hello, everyone, I am Dr. Sudeshna Biswas senior consultant neuron-psychiatrist attached with Fortis C-DOC Hospital Nehru place and have my own clinic at CR Park. Today we are going to discuss a very common issue Anxiety. Now the moment we hear the word anxiety many questions come to our mind. What is anxiety? How do we know that we are suffering any kind of anxiety disorder? And how do we know that we have to seek any professional help? Does any age group or any sex acceptable to this disorder? So, so many questions come to our mind? So let’s try to find out the answers of these questions?
So now let’s begin with what is anxiety? Anxiety is nothing but Anxiousness in a stressful situation. Now when anxiety becomes overwhelming or starts interfering day to day life that is what anxiety disorder is. So let’s just try to find out what are the symptoms of anxiety disorders so you can detect the symptoms of anxiety disorder of it is there with you at the earliest.
- Now there are two groups of anxiety disorders. The first group, we call it emotional symptoms, the second group is a physical symptom. Now emotional symptom could be in the form of apprehension, restlessness, reduction in the concentration, difficulty in retaining things in your mind that are memory loss. Physical symptoms could be in the form of increased heart rate or a feeling of palpitation, shortness of breath or a stomach upset, numbness in hands and legs, pains in hand and legs, headache, shivering, tremor and some more.
After knowing the symptoms of anxiety disorder let’s talk about what are the types of anxiety disorders?
- Now there are many types of anxiety disorders. I would try to brief few of them. One could be a generalized anxiety disorder. In this generalized anxiety disorder, people have various reasons to feel anxious throughout the day, many thought keeps on coming into their minds of a different variety. Usually, when these symptoms are lasting for at least six months of duration people are considered to be suffering from generalized anxiety disorder.
- There is one more disorder we call obsessive compulsive disorder. In this disorder, people might have frequent washing or checking habits. Once single thoughts which is not acceptable to them coming to their mind again and again. Now again if these thoughts are there for two weeks duration they might be suffering from an obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Some other disorders are there like we call it phobia is nothing but a fear of a particular substance. It could be in the form of fear of heights, fear of crowded spaces, examination phobia which is very common among the children.
- Similar kind of other disorders includes social anxiety disorder. In this people have an anxiety of social situations. People become scared that other people are looking at them, probably criticizing them. They have a problem of public speaking etc. So this is one we call it social anxiety disorder.
- Now few others are post-traumatic stress disorder. In this disorder people might have the anxiety symptoms after a big stress in their life, could be Tsunami for example.
- Another type is called panic disorder. In this all the symptoms which are mentioned in physical symptoms, they usually happen for a short duration and people have the feeling that they are going to die the next moment.
So these are all, in short, the different types of anxiety disorder. We would just come straight away towards the treatment.
Treatment could be medicinal or therapeutic. There is various type of medicines available for such kind of disorder. Therapies are there like relaxation therapies, cognitive behavioral therapies and behavioral therapy and many others. So my request to all the viewers would be that please detect your problem at the earliest and seek the help of your near professional because this is a problem that definitely has a solution.
So now to end up if you need my help you can directly come to me by taking the appointment or you can use the app which is Lybrate which is a very good app in your mobile or you can just contact me through lybrate and seek up the appointment. Thank you very much. Stay well.