Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Deepa Patrawala
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Deepa PatrawalaYour feedback matters!
Menstruation is the monthly discharge of blood from the vagina, which lasts for about 5 to 6 days. It is the shedding of the inner lining of the uterus, when pregnancy does not occur after the release of egg from the ovary. Menstrual periods are generally often accompanied by painful cramps in the lower abdomen, heavy bleeding, weakness, water retention, irritability and malaise.
What is Menorrhagia?
Very heavy or prolonged periods are medically termed as menorrhagia. It is abnormally heavy bleeding if there is a requirement to change sanitary napkins or tampons several times within a very short span of time. Passing large blood clots, night time bleeding, bleeding for over 7 -8 days, are other symptoms that one might be suffering from menorrhagia.
Common Causes Behind It
Menorrhagia is mostly a cause of hormonal imbalance, particularly in the levels of estrogens and progesterone.
Fibroids, cysts or polyps in the organs of the reproductive system, which includes the uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes.
History of miscarriage or failed pregnancies.
Use of contraceptives
How can you treat heavy bleeding during menses
Some non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen may be prescribed to reduce the blood loss.
Certain hormonal therapies to regulate the hormonal imbalances and menstrual irregularities.
Increasing magnesium intake to balance out levels of oestrogen.
It is best to stick to natural remedies, as it generally does not create complications in other bodily functions.
If the bleeding cannot be controlled even after a change of diet and home remedies, you must visit the gynaecologist as soon as possible. Heavy bleeding is a serious problem, especially if accompanied by dizziness, fluctuations in the blood pressure, nausea and weight loss. Severe cramps and constant bleeding can hinder daily routine, therefore, the earlier you receive medical attention, the quicker you will get relief.
I am currently on femilon and this is my third sheet. I had unprotected sex with my partner on 4th day of my period exactly a month ago. Then started femilon 2nd sheet the next day. But I feel like my stomach size is increasing. Am I pregnant. Need help. I am unmarried.
Spine surgeries are complicated and have serious repercussions if the procedure is not planned well. A thorough communication with your doctor is therefore very critical to ensure a safe operation and early post-op recovery. Questions can range from the type of treatment chosen for a speedy recovery to side effects. Here is a list of questions that you need to ask your spine surgeon:
1. Why is the surgery recommended?
Typically, there is more than one treatment option for a particular problem. Your doctor should be able to tell you very precisely as to why the surgery is recommended and how it is going to address the problem. He should also discuss the alternative treatments available with their respective advantages and pitfalls.
2. Is there any non-surgical option?
Many spine related issues can be treated with rest, medicines and physiotherapy. Ask your doctor if such conservative options exist.
3. Explain the surgical procedure in detail.
Your doctor should explain the whole surgical procedure, in as much detail as you think is required for you to understand what is going to be done to your body. This helps you to have a practical idea and realistic expectations regarding your treatment.
4. What is the duration of the surgery?
Duration of a spine surgery depends on the procedure that is being performed and individual complexities. A lumbar microdiscectomy may take barely an hour, while a complex spinal fusion may take half a day! Do inquire about the duration expected by your spine surgeon.
5. How will the surgery address the pain or other symptoms?
6. What are the risks involved?
Risks and side effects vary from patient to patient. For instance, a person with obesity, diabetes and smoking has greater chances of complications associated with any surgery.
7. Do you need to change your regular medications?
Medicines like blood thinners can increase chance of hemorrhagic complications. These need to be stopped before surgery. Do discuss ALL your medical issues no matter how irrelevant they may seem to you.
8. Whether a back brace is necessary after surgery?
Limiting the spine movement is necessary for the process of healing. Most Doctors suggest braces or collars after a spine surgery.
9. What is the time required for recovery?
The recovery greatly varies with patients and conditions. What you should ask your Doctor is the expected time required for you to join your job/school.
10. Will there be any physical limitation after the operations?
Many spine surgeries require you to refrain from strenuous jobs for a while. For instance, certain surgeries require you to stay away from driving for a while. Address all these apprehensions from your doctor. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurosurgeon.
Recently have a urine test results show as no bacteria and have a hiv test result show as negative and they took a blood test and it shows normotic normochromic blood picture! still possible to get STD.
All of a sudden some kind of scars or you can say all the nerves of my wife's breast started appearing. We are worried about that. What possibly could be the reason behind this. All this happened after 1 month of her abortion. Even the size of her breast is bigger than previously. Pls suggest.
Hi, I have completed 3 years of my marriage. I am not conceive. Eggs are not release. My doctor say do laparoscopy surgery. Is it safe please suggest me.
I am pregnant within 5 weeks and I want to abort Sex date - 03/03/2016 Last period date - 13/02/2016 please suggest some medicine or anything else Plzzz reply me soon.
Bad breath is a dental problem which could also emanate due to poor digestion. It can also be experienced as a side effect of other ailments as well as medications. Smoking and bad diet may lead to this and it usually becomes a matter of low self-esteem as time goes by. Homeopathy is one of the most natural forms of medication, treatment and wellness when it comes to such problems that affect the lifestyle of the patient. These medicines usually combine very small doses of naturally found elements so as to cure an ailment or condition. Yet, it is important to remember that one must get a prescription for these medicines from a professional medical practitioner.
- Merc Sol: If your bad breath problem also comes with symptoms like a moist mouth or constant dribbling, then this medicine may be prescribed. This usually happens when the salivary glands become too active and produce more moisture than what the mouth can handle on a normal basis.
- Pulsatilla: This medicine is usually prescribed if the patient complains of a dry mouth along with a bad breath problem. This helps in treating related symptoms like the lack of proper hydration due to the lack of thirst. Not drinking enough water can also lead to the problem of dry mouth and thereafter, a bad odour from the mouth.
- Kreosote: This medicine is considered as a very effective medication for bad breath, especially if the bad breath takes place due to caries in the teeth. This medicine can also help patients who are experiencing bleeding gums along with caries and bad breath.
- Hepar Sulphur and Carbo Veg: The combination of these two medicines is known as one of the best when it comes to treating bad breath. The other symptoms that call for the prescription of these medicines include Gingivitis or gum infection related problems and symptoms. When there is bleeding and pus in the gums due to the infection, then this medicine is usually prescribed. Excessive salivation is also another symptom that is treated by this medicine combination. Hepar Sulphur can be used if there is a throat-related infection or ailment that can lead to the problem of bad breath.
- Carbolic Acid: A homeopathic doctor will usually prescribe this medicine if the problem of bad breath is accompanied by intense and perpetual pain in the abdomen. The patient will also complain of gas in stomach due to the ailment that affects the stomach in such cases. This gives rise to many symptoms including bad breath. Loss of appetite is also treated by this medicine.