Find numerous Dentists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dentists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. D.r.shahaniYour feedback matters!
Dental Treatment Under Sedation/general Anaesthesia I
Providing the highest quality dental treatment for all patients is the motto of dental practitioners.In order to achieve the same,complete chair-side cooperation is an important requirement.There are various factors and situations where the same is not achieved either in part or full like:
a) very young age of child patient
b) physical or mental dis-ability of some kind preventing the same
c) phobic patients or patients with past bad,painful and traumatic experience
d) extensive treatments requiring high number of patients affecting the cooperation.
In these cases the dental treatment under sedation/general anaesthesia is a very effective,safe and valuable treatment alternative.
These treatment are general done by specially trained dental surgeons mainly pediatric dentists who with their team of doctors essentially anesthetists,pediatricians and pediatric dentists undertake such treatments in a safe and sound manner.
I have a dental problem. Its recurring from last so many years. I always keep cleaning and every quarterly visit dentist for cleaning.
In the bottom from row three teeth have become mobile. Unable to extract them and fix fresh teeth there as dentists fear of bleeding in extraction. I had bleeding problem long time ago, but th lab has cleared the same. But still dentists do not want to experiment due to my age i. E. 84 years. please suggest.?
I have a mouth problem. A chhala(ulcer) in my mouth is permanently. It is automatic problem from past few days.
What are the chances of relapse of hypergingivitis after gingevectomy in case of nifedipine induced gingival enlargement.
The gums are also called the periodontium which means perio for around and dontium for tooth as the gums are literally present "around the tooth." There is a softer mucosal portion that runs along the tooth in a curved manner and a stronger fibrous portion that connects the tooth to the jaw bone. Together, they provide the structural support for the tooth to be held in place. In addition they also have an aesthetic value with the healthy pink color.
The mouth has the largest number of bacteria in the body, which act on the food debris that is present on the tooth and the gums. This causes infection in both the gums and the tooth.
Types: Periodontal disease can be localized or general.
- Localized disease happens when a tooth is not accessible for thorough cleaning. The inside surface of lower incisors and outer surfaces of the upper last molars are common areas of localized periodontal disease.
- Generalized periodontal disease can be due to conditions like pregnancy, puberty, diabetes problem where gums around all the teeth are affected.
Symptoms: In both the cases, the following symptoms ensue:
- The gums are of a healthy pink color and if they turn darker hue of pink
- Swollen and/or painful gums
- Spontaneous bleeding: This may be localized or generalized
- Chronic bad breath: Due to food accumulation in the infected gums
- If it continues to form an abscess, pressure on the gums can produce pus
- Bad taste in the mouth (arising from pus in the gums)
- Gingival recession, producing an effect of having longer tooth
- Dentin is exposed leading sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Loosening of the tooth
- Painful chewing, as it puts pressure on the inflamed periodontium
- Dentist will identify what are called pockets, which is an indication of severity - the deeper the pockets, the severe the disease.
Management and Prevention: Gum disease is very easy to identify and can be completely cured.
- Regular brushing and flossing can help maintain regular oral hygiene
- With each brushing session, plain finger massage of the gums improves blood circulation and their overall health
- Regular use of mouth rinse is a good way to improve gum health
- Regular visits to the dentist can help keep a check on the health of the teeth and the gums - early identification of disease and early treatment
- Once it has set in, deep scaling followed by root planing may be required to thoroughly clear out the infection
- More surgical options like gingival grafts, flap surgery, bone grafting in case of severe bone loss may be required.
- Management of conditions like diabetes
The best way to avoid periodontal disease is to know its symptoms, follow oral hygiene practices, and consult a dentist regularly.