Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Amithi AgarwalYour feedback matters!
There are three stages of caring for an expecting mother: prenatal, intranatal, postnatal care. This is essential to ensure smooth pregnancy and labour and to keep the mother healthy after giving birth. This care is a combined effort between the doctor and the expectant couple. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you are expecting an addition to your family.
Prenatal care from the moment you realize that you are pregnant, a woman must start taking extra care of her body. This reduces the risks in your pregnancy and at the time of labour. But even before planning a pregnancy, it is important that couples should consult with the doctor, in order to avoid any complications in future. Thus, you should ensure that regular check up not just during the pregnancy, but also before the pregnancy is equally important, so that your doctor can rule out complications arising due to factors, such as Thalassemia, Thyroid, Blood Sugar and PCOS, etc.
The main objectives of prenatal care are:
- To maintain the health of the mother
- Detect high risk cases
- Foresee complications and find ways to prevent them
- Reduce anxiety associated with delivery
Thus, an important part of prenatal care is to visit your gynaecologist regularly. These visits will be scheduled according to your age and stage of pregnancy. A few other points to keep in mind are:
- Stop smoking and stay away from passive smoking as well
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Avoid contact with toxic chemicals like insecticides etc.
- Ensure your vaccination is up to date
- Avoid x-rays
- Do not start or stop any medication without informing your doctor first
- Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water
- Exercise regularly for half an hour daily
- Get plenty of rest
- Avoid stress
- Educate yourself about childbirth
Intranatal care refers to care given to the mother and baby at the time of delivery. The main objectives here are:
- Smooth delivery without injuring mother or baby
- Preventing complications
- Delivery resuscitation for the baby
There are a number of ways to deliver a baby and whatever you choose, you must ensure the presence of a doctor at your side, while delivering a baby. Your doctor will determine the position of the fetus and help you through your delivery.
Postnatal care is essential for 6-8 weeks after the baby is born. During this period, the mother goes through a number of physical and emotional changes and thus requires rest, nutrition and vaginal care. The main objectives here are:
- Prevent postpartum complications
- Restore mother to optimal health
- Ensure problem free breastfeeding
Sharing responsibility is essential for the health of the mother, after delivery. Get as much sleep as possible and pay attention to what you eat. Do not try and lose your pregnancy weight instantly. Schedule a checkup with your doctor six weeks after delivery to ensure your vagina has healed properly. Additionally abstain from intercourse at this time. With proper care, every stage of your pregnancy can be a beautiful experience.
High blood pressure, or hypertension, is defined as blood pressure higher than 140/90 mm hg. Hypertensive disorders in pregnancy are a major cause of maternal, fetal and neonatal morbidity and mortality, both in developing and developed countries. Hypertension is the most common medical problem in pregnancy.
If high blood pressure continues after 20 weeks of pregnancy, preeclampsia and other complications can develop.
What causes high blood pressure during pregnancy?
According to the national heart, lung, and blood institute (nhlbi), there are several possible causes of high blood pressure during pregnancy.
- being overweight or obese
- failing to stay active
- drinking alcohol
- first-time pregnancy
- a family history of pregnancy-related hypertension
- carrying more than one child
- assistive technology (such as ivf)
- maternal age is also a factor, with pregnant women over the age of 40 being more at risk.
# use a sitting or semi-reclining position so that the arm to be used is at the level of the heart.
# do not take the bp in the upper arm with the woman on her side, as this will give falsely lower readings.
What are the complications of high blood pressure during pregnancy?
- if high blood pressure continues after 20 weeks of pregnancy, there can be complications. Preeclampsia can develop.
What is preeclampsia?
This condition can cause serious damage to your organs, including your brain and kidneys. Preeclampsia is also known as toxemia or pregnancy-induced hypertension. Preeclampsia with seizures becomes eclampsia. This can be fatal.
Thorough prenatal care, including regular doctor’s visits, should be able to address preeclampsia symptoms. Symptoms include:
@protein in a urine sample
Abnormal swelling in hands and feet
Preventing high blood pressure during pregnancy:
Common risk factors for high blood pressure, such as obesity and a history of high blood pressure, can be minimized through diet and exercise. Of course, during pregnancy, it is inevitable that you will gain some weight. It’s recommended that pregnant women consult with their doctor to identify a weight gain target that is healthy for them.
Dietary guidelines for pregnant women vary from person to person. Speak with a nutritionist who will keep your specific height and weight in mind when creating a nutrition plan for you.
The nhlbi emphasizes that it’s important to take steps to lessen your risk of high blood pressure. You should steer clear of smoking and drinking alcohol, both of which have been known to raise blood pressure.
Pregnancy causes hormone shifts, as well as psychological and physical changes. This can bring on stress, which can make high blood pressure harder to manage. Try stress reduction techniques such as yoga and meditation.
Management depends on the woman's bp, gestational age and blood flow in the placenta. Non-pharmacological management is recommended for many women but is not recommended when there is the presence of associated maternal and fetal risk factors. Non-pharmacological management includes close supervision, limitation of activities, and some bed rest in the left lateral position.
All pregnant women should receive antenatal education so that they are aware of the symptoms associated with pre-eclampsia, its importance, and the need to obtain medical advice.
Such symptoms include:
Visual problems: blurred vision or flashing before the eyes.
Severe epigastric pain.
Sudden swelling of the face, hands or feet.
Women who are at high risk of pre-eclampsia are recommended to take 75 mg aspirin daily from 12 weeks of gestation to delivery. Such women are those with:
- hypertension or pre-eclampsia/eclampsia in a past pregnancy.
- chronic kidney disease.
- autoimmune disease (eg, systemic lupus erythematosus (sle) or antiphospholipid syndrome).
- diabetes mellitus (both type 1 or 2).
- chronic hypertension.
Women should also take 75 mg aspirin daily from the 12th week if they have any two of the following features:- in their first pregnancy.
- aged ≥40 years.
- previous pregnancy >10 years ago.
- body mass index (bmi) of ≥35 kg/m2 at booking.
- family history of pre-eclampsia.
- multiple pregnancy.
Medication for high blood pressure during pregnancy:
Some traditional blood pressure medications can cause problems in pregnant women should be avoided when you are pregnant:
-angiotensin receptor blockers
These drugs in particular will be passed through the bloodstream to the developing baby. They can negatively impact the baby’s health. These medications may also cause blood to thin, which can compromise the mother’s ability to carry the baby to term.
Methyldopa and labetalol are both drugs that have been deemed safe for use to manage blood pressure during pregnancy.
Talk to your doctor about how to control your blood pressure if you develop hypertension during pregnancy.
High blood pressure during pregnancy doesn’t usually lead to serious problems. However, if it goes untreated, hypertension can become life-threatening for both mother and baby.
Hi madam/sir mai pregnent thi two month ki aur ek din pesab karne par bleeding ho raha tha maine Dr. ko dikhaya unhone blood test karwaya fir unhone dawa diya uske teen din bad fir usg karwaya jisme wo bata rahi hai ki abhi bhi kuch tukre utress me hai so abortion karwana parega so pls advice me.
For any advocate of a healthy diet plan, fruits shall always feature as the protagonist. Replete with essential body nutrients, fruits are indeed an important source of body fibers, essential salts and minerals. While the general assumption bids fresh fruits as the healthier alternative, dried fruits too have their fair share of health boosting properties.
However, before you can settle for one over the other, there are certain parameters that need to be inferred closely. It is only by comparing and contrasting the benefits derived from both fresh as well as dried fruits on basis of these heads that we can arrive at a given conclusion.
1. Nutrient density: Since fruits are by and large dense with health boosting components like nutrients, their calorie content on a relative scale is less. One advantage that fresh fruits have in this context is the water proportion in them. Due to the extraction of water from the dried fruits, calories get concentrated alongside the nutrients. This may prove disadvantageous for those trying to cut down the kilos. Fresh fruits on the other hand could benefit them as a sustainable source of energy.
2. Sugar content: When it comes to the density of glucose, fresh fruits and dried fruits, both are at par, essentially. At a given serving size, the sugar content of both varieties do not reflect much of a difference. Although the water content induces a sense of fullness and reduces the subsequent hunger pangs, consumption of fresh fruits also imparts volume.
3. Vitamins: Fresh fruits are extremely beneficial to deal with the problems of dehydration. They are laden with vital vitamins like A, B and C. Therefore, to beat the heat, nothing is as therapeutic as fresh fruits. Contrarily, dried fruits are deprived of their water content, which sometimes compromises their vitamin content since these vitamins are generally heat-sensitive. It also sucks out all of the folate in dried fruits. However, intake of apposite amounts can help in replenishing the vitamin levels that are obtained from the dried fruits.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
Rt breast lump which was operated by operation 4 years before. It has been emerged again with aces at times, so can be cleared by medicine or again surgery has to be done.
Hello doctor. My last period date was 5th of Feb, i have 28 days cycle.I had unprotected sex on 2nd march. My periods were suppose to come on around 5th to 6th march but its delayed by 5 days. Could I be pregnant? please help as v r not planning baby as of now.
My self Viren. I m married from last 2 years. In between my wife conceive once but due to some medical issues. Our cases not success. I hav 1 query wat is the main cause or reason. without heartbeat baby egg formation.
I am 36 yrs old n suffering from cyst due to which I am fat and have less bleeding during periods i.e. Only 2days and that to very less. Please help.
I fingered my girlfriend on her 9th day of her period. Now she's getting cramps and white secretion from her vagina. I may hav touched my penis that is I may have per cum on my fingers. Is there a chance she is pregnant?
I have a periods problem. Its not for now, from starting till now. Can you please help me, that what I do.
My luteinizing hormone is 9.32 and my follicle stimulating hormone is 5.92 so please tell me there is any problem in pregnancy and in periods.
Hi, I from india my wife has a problem the menus bleeding can' t stoping. I think she is pregnant if she will check the pregnancy with pregnancy stip it's showing positive and few days a go she had bleeding like menus so I will concert the doctor but we have no solution doctor saids just do the ultra sound test she will done in the report nothing like she had feetus or not please doctor help me I don't no how can I explain my problem with you.
Main jab apni wife se relationship ke liye bolta hoon to woh mana kar deti hai. Pichle 2-3 years se same problem aa rahi hai. Main bahut pareshaan hu. Woh kehti hai ki uska mann nahi hai. Pichle 2-3 years mein maine 4 se 5 baar hi relation banaye hai. Main bahut pareshaan rehta hoon. Please suggest the best solution.
My mother had taken regestrone 5 mg to postpone her periods but she developed drowsiness, headache, pain all over the body with a day. Please take me to get out of this problem.
Tips to stay healthy forever.
1. Eat local fruits. Like banana, grapes, chikoo, mangoes. All fruits have fructose so it doesn't matter that your eating a mango over an apple. A mango comes from Konkan and an apple from Kashmir. So mango is more local to u.
Eat all d abv fruits even if you have diabetes as d fructose will eventually manage your sugar
2. Choose seed oils than veggie oils. Like, choose groundnut, mustard, coconut. Don't choose chakachak packing oils, like olive, rice bran etc
Go for kachchi ghani oils than refined oils
3. Ghee n it's benefits.
Eat ghee daily. How much ghee we shud eat depends on food. Few foods need more ghee then eat more n vice versa. Eat ample ghee. It reduces cholesterol.
3. Include coconut. Either scraped coconut over food like poha, khandvi or chutney with idli n dosa
Coconut has zero cholesterol and it makes your waist slim
3. Don't eat oats, cereals for breakfast. They r packaged food n we don't need them. Also, they r tasteless n boring n our day shouldn't start with boring stuff.
Breakfast should be poha, upma, idli, dosa, paratha
4. Farhaan akhtars new ad of biscuits - fibre in every bite. Even ghar ka kachara has fiber, likewise, oats have fiber. Don't chose them for fiber. Instead of oats, eat poha, upma, idli, dosa
5. No juices till you hv teeth in your mouth to chew veggies n fruits
6. Sugarcane is d real detox. Drink d juice fresh or eat d sugarcane
7. For PCOS, thyroid - do strength training and weight training and avoid all packaged food
8. Rice - eat regular white rice. No need for brown rice. Brown rice needs 5-6 whistles to cook n when it tires your pressure cooker, then why do you want to tire your tummy.
A white rice is hand pounded simple rice
Rice is not high is gi index. Rice has mediun gi index n by eating it with daal / dahi / kadhi we bring its gi index further down
If we take ghee over this daal chawal then d gi index is brought further down
Rice has some rich minerals n you can eat it even three times a day
9. How much should we eat - eat more if your more hungry, let your stomach be your guide n vice versa
10. We can eat rice n chapati together or only rice if you wish. It depends on your hunger. Eat rice in all three meals without any fear.
11. Food shouldnt make you scared like eating rice n ghee. Food should make you feel good
12. Never look at calories. Look at nutrients
13. No bread, biscuits, cakes, pizza, pasta
14. Ask urself is this the food my nani n dadi ate? if yes then eat without fear.
15. Eat as per your season. Eat pakoda, fafda, jalebi in monsoon. Your hunger is as per season. Few seasons we need to be fried food so eat them.
16. When not to have chai - tea - don't drink tea as the first thing in the morning or when you're hungry. Rest you can have it 2-3 times a day n with sugar
17. No green tea please no green, yellow, purple, blue tea.
18. Eat all of your traditional foods
19. Strictly no to packaged foods/drinks.
20. Exercise/walk more to digest and stay healthy.