Find numerous Orthopedists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Orthopedists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. AmithYour feedback matters!
You know it’s time for a knee replacement surgery when you can’t walk, move or get up from a chair without pain in spite of taking medications, physiotherapy and following a pain management therapy for a long time. Knee replacement surgery is also known as arthroplasty, and it’s one of the most common bone surgeries around.
Causes of Knee Pain
Most people suffering from arthritis of any kind- osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis are the ones who may require a knee replacement surgery when their condiition becomes severe.
It helps ease pain and helps one move freely.
- Osteoarthritis- This is mostly caused due to age-related ‘wear and tear’ of the knee joint and usually occurs in people who are older than 50 years. In this condition, the cartilage that cushions the three main bones of the knee wears away. This makes the bones rub against one another, causing stiffness and knee pain. Osteoarthritis is the main reason why people go for knee replacement surgery.
- Rheumatoid arthritis- In this type of arthritis, the synovial membrane that surrounds the knee joint becomes inflamed. This chronic inflammation then damages the knee cartilage and leads its loss and attendant pain, and stiffness.
- Post-traumatic arthritis- This happens after a serious knee injury. It can lead to tears of the knee ligaments and bones which leads to damage to the knee cartilage.
- Loss of blood flow to the bones – osteonecrosis – also may require knee replacement surgery.
- Those with deformities like knock knees and bowed legs also may require knee replacement.
Knee Replacement Surgery
During this surgery, an orthopedic surgeon removes the damaged part of the knee and replaces it with an artificial metal or plastic joint. This artificial joint is then attached to the thigh bone, the shin, and the kneecap with a special cement-like material.
Different Types of Knee Replacement Surgery
There are four main types of knee replacement surgery-
- Total knee replacement- This is the most common type of surgery. In this, your surgeon replaces the entire knee including the thigh bone and shin bone that connect to the knee.
- Partial knee replacement- This type of surgery is performed if arthritis affects only one side of your knee. However, this type of surgery is done only if you have strong knee ligaments. This is performed through a smaller cut than is needed for total knee replacement.
- Kneecap replacement- This type of surgery replaces only the under-surface of your kneecap.
- Revision knee replacement- This is a complex surgery which is performed in case you have very severe arthritis.
A knee replacement is actually a knee "resurfacing" because only the surface of the knee bones is actually replaced during the procedure. It is a relatively safe procedure and the patient does not have any side effects. All a patient is required to do is take proper rest and follow the instructions of your doctor. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Orthopedist.
I am 41 years old having anklosing spondylitis please guide how to get ride off, cause of it having lower back pain.
Hello Sir I am 22 years old male, I am suffering from one side brain pain and also one side hand, leg, tongue, teeth and also skin go to unconscious sometimes, and also both eyes can not see properly during this full process my mind hanged at all for minimum 24 hours. I can not understand what going on? This full problem happens sometimes but when I don't know. Since last more than 7 years. What should I do?
I am female aged 72 years I had ostrppenea in 1992 and was having pain and discomfort in my left knee. I do have knee pain specially climbing and descending stairs but no difficulty in walking I do yoga quite regularly and walking also UpTo 2.5 km Quite often. The blood reports and all tests are normal Recently I have pain in my fingers of left leg for last two months I am doing exercises for fingers and regular hot foot bath but the pain has not gone I am taking g shelcal 500 for last one month PL suggest what should I do Thanks.
Hello doctor. I am 30 years old and suffering from back pain after my cesarian operation. I have been taking calcium tablets and pain killers. How can I get rid of this problem? I am suffering from this problem from past two years.
Sir I am suffering from back pain I had consulted regional doctor to my village he told to use these tablets I forgot name of tablets.
Hello doctor. I am male 31 years. From few days I am getting body pains and when I wake up from sleep in the morning I get feet pains. Once I walk for 2 min then everything is OK. Also sometime I am getting back pain. Is there any problem.
Back pain is a common source of pain and can be acute, sub-acute or chronic in nature. Back pain is classified along the segments of the spine and can be divided into neck pain, middle back pain, lower back pain and coccydynia or tail bone pain. Back pain can be quite troublesome as it disables a person to move about freely due to constant ache.
Here are some procedures for the treatment of back pain.
- Give your back some rest: Most people who get back pain become obsessed with it and end up getting MRI scans and x-rays done. Some even take injections and other such measures without recognizing the intensity of the pain. It is advised not to rush into the matter immediately and the simplest way to cure the pain is by resting. 90% of pains in the back resolve by themselves in 6 weeks and so you must give your back a break instead of taking medical actions and let time do the healing.
- Pills: While you let time treat your back pain, sometimes the pain increases and gives you a bad time. In this case, you can take anti-inflammatory medicinal pills such as ibuprofen or naproxen. These pills will help you ease the pain. However, using such pills for a continued period of time causes side effects such as gastrointestinal disorders. Hence, you should not take them for more than ten days at a stretch.
- Hot and cold compress: Apply a bag of frozen peas or an ice pack to the affected area for 48 hours after the pain appears. Every session should be about 20 minutes, and you should take more than two sessions each day. After two days, repeat the same procedure using a heat pad instead of ice. The cooling procedure shuts down your blood capillaries and reduces the flow of blood to that area. The swelling is eased as a result. The heating, on the other hand, loosens tight muscles and increases the blood circulation, providing extra oxygen.
- Change your mattress: People who sleep on firm mattresses and cushions on their beds are at a higher risk of having a back pain. According to studies, it has been observed that people sleeping on medium-firm mattresses have healthier backs. In case your mattress in sagging or is over 8 years old, you should replace it.
- Acupuncture: When your back pain is very severe, you can resort to acupuncture, which provides efficient pain relief. The procedure changes the way your nerves react and reduces inflammation.
Back pain arises from various reasons and should always be taken care of. Unattended back pain worsens and makes the affected person suffer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.