Find numerous Physiotherapists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ami Karbhari Shah
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Ami Karbhari ShahYour feedback matters!
Respected Sir, I am facing back pain problem from last month Due to weakness. Please suggest me what did I do for my back pain problem. Thanks.
I am suffering from pain in my lower legs. Blood test shows less of vitamin D and excess of Uric acid and LDL cholesterol. Although I have started medicines yet I do not know exact reason of it. I am 70 year old retired person with 153 cm height and 90 kg wt.
Some people have low back pain when they are lying resting in certain positions.
A few people have low back pain only when they lie down. Many people with low back pain feel worse when they are lying down and dread the thought of another night with more back pain and less sleep. If you have low back pain only when lying down, or if you regularly wake in the morning with a stiff and painful low back that was not painful the night before, there is likely to be something wrong with the surface on which you are lying or the position in which you sleep.
It is a comparatively easy task to correct the surface on which you are lying, but rather difficult to influence the position you adopt while sleeping.
Once you are asleep, you may regularly change your position or toss and tum. Unless a certain position causes so much discomfort that it wakes you, you have no real idea of the various positions you assume while sleeping .Many people with back problems are told never to lie face down when in bed. There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that this is harmful to the back.
On the contrary, it may well be that your back ceases to be painful in the face-down position. If you have not already discovered the effects of lying face down, you should experiment to see what effect this has on your problem the next time you experience pain while lying. Certainly there are some low back problems that are aggravated by lying in this way. If you have sciatica, lying face down is nearly always impossible.
Correction of Surface
There are two simple ways in which you may be able to reduce strains on your low back caused by a faulty lying position:
The first and most important way is to lie with a supportive roll around your waist. This roll will support your low back as you re stand will prevent strain that can develop when you lie on your side or back.You may purchase a lumbar night roll specifically made for the purpose from the agents listed at the back of this book. You will need to supply them with your waist measurement and advise them how much you weigh. Alternatively, you may substitute a rolled beach or bath towel. Fold the towel in half from end to end then roll in from the side. This will create a roll of about 3 inches in diameter and 3 feet in length. Wind the roll around your waist, and fix it in front with a safety pin to ensure that it remains in place where you normally wear your belt; otherwise, the roll will move up or down during your sleep, it may actually increase your night pain. The measurements given above are merely a guide; lumbar supports need to fulfill individual requirements, and each person must experiment for himself. You can follow the general rule that when you lie on your side, the roll should fill the natural hollow in the body contour between pelvis and rib cage; and when you lie on your back, the roll should support the low back in moderate lordosis.
The second way is to ensure that your mattress does not sag. The mattress itself should not be too hard; in fact, a soft mattress can be extremely comfortable provided it is placed on a firm support. To ensure that your mattress is supported on a firm hard surface, it is best to place it on the floor and spend three to four nights sleeping in this way to determine if this is the source of the problem. Avoid a bed with a wire base and use a solid base instead , with a rubber or inner spring mattress on top of it.If you have tried these suggestions without benefit, you should consult a health provider trained in this specialty.It may be that you require special advice regarding the surface on which you lie or the posture you assume while sleeping. It may also be possible that you need special treatment for your low back problems.
TUMMY WEAKNESS ALLOWS THE SPINE TO “SINK”
- Although a hard, statically contracted tummy plays a critical role in a retaining wall when the spine bends, it also does important things just as you sit there. A strong co-contraction with the back muscles buoys the spine up and stops the segments telescoping down into the pelvis and compressing the discs.When the abdominal retaining wall is weak, it cannot generate enough upthrust on the lumbar segments to offset the downward forces.
- The low intra-abdominal pressure cannot lift the spine and interrupt the bearing down pressures on the base. As the girth expands with sitting and the belly falls forward over the belt like a bag of chaff, the abdominal contents spill forward, dragging the spine downwards. As the multi-segmented column ploughs down ever more firmly onto the sacrum, it increases the pressure on the lower discs.
- By moving forward onto the front of the seat incidentally, the abdominal wall works more dynamically and gives better support. You can see this yourself. If you sit slumped on a sofa your tummy balloons forward, flaccid and inert. If you sit up free of back support you feel the internal corset of your tummy reefing in the retaining wall and making a firm, flexible cylinder.
- It also makes the top of your spine better balanced and free-wheeling to work more efficiently over its base.The best sitting arrangement at a desk is a kneeling chair.Its seat is inclined forward a few degrees which promotes optimal hollowing of the lumbar spine instead of a slumped ‘c’.
- Some weight taken through the knees and lower legs on the upholstered cushion minimizes that taken through the lower back. But even though it is ingenious, this chair should be used with caution if you have knee or ankle problems, or if your low back already has a too much lumbar arch. It is worth noting that carrying loads balanced on the head-another time-honoured custom of less developed societies-invokes a superb dynamic response from the tummy muscles.
- Automatically they pull in and brace, converting the lower abdomen into a taut, supportive cylinder. The raised pressure within the abdominal cavity creates extra lift for the spine and safeguards the lower segments from excessive compression. We might do well to copy this way of carrying.