5 Ways to alleviate nighttime heartburn
Nighttime heartburn is a very common medical condition that causes a burning sensation in the chest region due to excessive acidity in the digestive system. This condition is witnessed very often in people and mostly it tends to awaken people from their sleep thereby disrupting their sleep patterns. Here are some effective ways to cure and prevent heartburn sensations during the night time.
1. Avoid acidity triggering foods: You should avoid the foods and drinks which are harsh on your digestive system and cause acidity and heartburn related problems during the night time. Some of the common foods and drinks responsible for nighttime heartburn and need to be avoided are alcohol, caffeinated drinks like colas, coffee and tea, chocolate and cocoa, peppermint, garlic, onions, milk, fatty, spicy, greasy, or fried foods and acidic foods like citrus or tomato products.
2. Follow a proper exercising pattern: You should never exercise immediately after having your meals. Instead, a considerable amount of a time gap should exist between your meal and your workout session. Do not ever eat a heavy meal before you exercise, because in spite of giving a time gap the richness of the food will adversely affect your digestive system.
3. Quit smoking habits: If you are a chronic/chain smoker, then you might witness the blockage of your gastrointestinal tract (digestive passages), which will further degrade and worsen the heartburn condition. Easier said than done, smoking is an addictive behaviour and you should be taking special care to lessen it and ultimately quit smoking.
4. Develop a chewing habit: If you are facing a chronic and regular heartburn problem, then you should definitely try excessive chewing of materials like gums. Chewing helps to generate excessive amounts of saliva during the act and the saliva, in turn, helps to soothe the acidic activities in your esophagus, thereby decreasing the probability of frequent heartburns.
5. Adopt weight loss measure: Sometimes, excessive body weight is also one of the potential factors responsible for causing frequent heartburns. But, if you shed a couple of kilograms from your body, then you will surely witness a relative decline in the symptoms of heartburn during night.