Doctor in Bombay Hospital
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Bombay HospitalYour feedback matters!
The “Roux en Y Gastric Bypass” surgery was first performed by Professor Mason in 1966. Being done in the conventional way (i.e by open surgery) earlier and later laparoscopically, the Gastric Bypass has stood the test of time over the last 52 years.
Over 50 years the Gastric bypass surgery is being performed across the globe. It has given excellent results in terms of significant and long standing weight loss in the morbidly obese, as well as remission of Type 2 diabetes in properly selected patients. Selection of the patient to undergo this procedure is paramount. 50 years of successful results is enough to term this procedure as the GOLD Standard.
Obesity and Diabetes have been a menace over the last 2 decades world over. In India obesity is growing in such a rampant way that we can equate it to and epidemic.
As we all know, India is considered to be the Diabetic Capital of the world. Type 2 diabetes contributes to the major chunk of the diabetes affected population. We Indians get affected by diabetes at very early ages and hence complications are seen at very early ages among us. Strikingly important to notice is that Diabetes is seen not only in the obese category of people, but also in the normal weight people.
Diabetes is feared of only because of the complications it is capable of causing affecting the vital organs like the brain , heart, eyes, kidneys.
Intermittent or elevated surges in the blood sugars levels during the course of the day are responsible for causing microangiopathies ( damage to the small vessels supplying blood to the vital organs).
We have seen that diabetes is accompanied by high blood pressure and dyslipedemia in most of the cases. So, when a person has diabetes, high blood pressure and dyslipidemia, we label them as having the metabolic syndrome.
Oral hypoglycemic agents (OHA) and insulin form the mainstay of treatment in getting sugars under control. But these are not able to avoid these surges in high sugar levels. This does not mean that OHA’s and Insulin are not the right way to treat diabetes- they indeed are.
We are going a step higher, in an attempt to get control of diabetes without OHA and insulin. Not only this, we are trying to tackle not just diabetes, but the metabolic syndrome on the whole i.e one procedure that will take care of diabetes, dyslipidemia and hypertension. This procedure is popularly known and referred to as the “Gastric Bypass” or the “Roux en Y Gastric Bypass”. Thus , In short, the gastric bypass surgery offers ICE BURG treatment.
Now, the first question is that “Is this possible”. The answer is YES. The second question is that is this procedure applicable for all diabetics. The answer is NO. Only Type 2 diabetics are the beneficiaries of this procedure where insulin resistance has amajor role to play. ( This procedure does not benefit Type 1 diabetics) Reasons for this will be explained later. The third and important question is that, “Is the Gastric bypass going to give remission of diabetes in all type 2 diabetics?” The answer is NO.
There is a strict selection criteria or eligibility criteria to select a patient for The Roux en Y Gastric Bypass surgery. Best results of the Gastric Bypass surgery are seen when it is confirmed that the person is suffering from Type 2 diabetes, duration of diabetes is less than 5 years, the pancreatic reserve is good and showing good levels of C -peptide in the blood, the person has a family history of diabetes, Insulin was not required to control sugar levels within the first 5 years of onset of diabetes and person should not be underweight( BMI > 27.5 preferred).
Losing weight is not easy and even if we lose weight, weight regain is very common. Most of us would have already experienced it. When we are tackling just the weight issue, we are talking into consideration only the morbidly obese people who have a BMI > 37.5. In the morbidly obese, at first it is very difficult to lose significant weight by normal method of diet and exercise. Even if weight loss does occur, weight regain or bouncing back is sure.
Here we bring in the trump card – The “Roux en Y Gastric Bypass” that helps the :
- “Morbidly Obese” (BMI >37.5) to lose significant weight and reach their ideal weight.
- “Obese” (BMI >32.5) who also have comorbidities (like diabetes , hypertension, dyslipidemia, sleep apnea, obesity induced infertilityet) not only to lose significant weight and reach their ideal weight, but also to get control of the associated comorbidities.
- “Type 2 Diabetics” (BMI > 27.5) to get Remission from type 2 Diabetes.
- “Metabolic Syndrome” (BMI > 27.5) to get remission from type 2 diabetes , dyslipidemia amd Most cases hypertension.
Type 2 diabetics can be offered this procedure even if they are not morbidly obese, is what I would like to bring it to notice.
Exposure to Type 2 diabetes for long years can lead to potential complications like cononary heart disease, chronic kidney failure, brain stroke, gangrene of the lower limbs.
In some, inspite of talking OHA’s, Insulin, sugars are not under control. In these cases, the gastric bypass can be offered to those who fulfil the eligibility criteria.
Remission of diabetes after the gastric bypass procedure are very quick, ranging from a week to a month in most of the cases. However in some, The sugar levels come to normal the very next day after the surgery in some without the OHA and /or insulin.
Gastric bypass is done through laparoscopy i.e through tiny holes over the tummy, requiring 3 days hospital stay. Supplements need to be taken following the procedure on a daily basis. Following the procedure, intake is reduced to a great extent which increases over few months as the gastric pouch stretches.
'Red wine is a ladies' drink'; if you are averse to alcohol, especially to its usual, piquant taste, you must have been suggested with the lightness of red wine by officious onlookers. That surely isn't a remote possibility when you are a lady and of age. Cautious introspection backed with years of medical or scientific research tells millions how wine, when consumed in moderation, helps improve a woman's physical health: the facet of mental health can be taken for granted as inebriation of most kinds results in mood elevation. It is therefore a ladies' drink indeed.
While being perturbed about the health of your skin, the sagging cheek muscles, a double chin or wrinkles that start showing once women are in their thirties, you must have rarely conjured the image of a vineyard to relax and repair. A vineyard can actually be your key source to youthful skin. Take a look at the following points to believe the same:
- If you are a health freak and insist on going by a Mediterranean diet, wine is part of your regular diet. You will experience the benefits in a few weeks' time.
- When consumed in a measured and controlled manner, red wine can reduce a person's chances of contracting breast cancer. Wine sharpens your mind while you age; your cognitive faculties therefore do not rust.
- Red wine can make your skin glow from within, unlike any other wine, as white wines have only a little amount of antioxidants.
- Your skin feels young and rejuvenated on drinking red wine as the drink aids arterial functions of the body. Thus, proper blood circulation is ensured.
When your nail grows into the layer of skin around it, you develop ingrown fingernails- a rather painful and uncomfortable condition. Some of the most common causes of ingrown fingernails are improper trimming, nailbiting, fungal infection, excessive slow or fast growth and fungal infection.
Treating an ingrown fingernail
- Hydrogen Peroxide or H2O2 is a superb disinfectant which can effectively heal an ingrown fingernail. Get 35% food grade H2O2- take 2 tablespoons of it and dilute it with half a bucket of water. Now dip your affected fingernail in this solution for 15-20 minutes. The hydrogen peroxide treatment is considered the most effective treatment for ingrown nails since it not only makes the skin around the affected area soft, but also helps to allay the pain and infection. Make sure to dry your nail properly after the soak.
- Tea tree oil is an essential oil which works wonders against cases of infection. The antifungal and antibacterial properties of tea tree oil make it a very effective remedy against ingrown fingernails. Add a few drops of tea tree oil into lukewarm water and soak the fingernail for 15-20 minutes at least 2-3 times a day. You can also take about 4 drops of tea tree oil and mix it with one tablespoon of olive oil and massage the affected site gently.
The absorption of oil into the infected area would make the surrounding skin soft and give you prompt relief.
Laparoscopic Gallbladder Removal is a minimally invasive surgery in which small incisions and specialized tools are used to remove a diseased or infected gallbladder. Removal is a treatment option if gallbladder becomes diseased or infected and it is the most common type of gallbladder removal surgery.
As humans are getting exposed to heat can be one of the most detrimental things we can ever face. Moreover, Heat is necessary but excessive heat can open doors of tons of diseases, for sure. Hence, to let you know more on this topic, let us move ahead and discover the top 5 reasons so as to why heat makes you sleepy-
- Heat has the ability to trick your brain: As we know, our bodies do trick heat with daytime which is good but can become detrimental at times. Further, it causes our brain to feel awake when we are suffering from a hot climate. And, when we enter any cold environment, all the fatigue attacks our body and makes us more worse and tired.
- Chemical changes occurs in our Body: With heat and sun being the main culprit of dehydration, they bring a series of chemical changes to our body. In chemical changes, it includes tanning, sunburn and even wrinkles become a major part in this case. Hence, with a series of such chemical changes, our body will become more prone to sleep, for sure.
Wrapping Things Up
So, there you go. Here are the top 5 reasons so as to why Heat Makes You Sleepy. And in case, if you are a victim of heating issues better look at the above reasons, find solutions. And you will tackle the lone heat issue with ease and comfort.
While the sun is necessary for our skin and overall health, excessive exposure often results in many skin problems. Age spots, which are actually sunspots, blemishes, pigmentation and sunburns are just a few of the sun related damages that your skin may have to face.
Sunscreen is your best friend outdoors
Sunscreen should be worn at all times whenever you go outdoors. Also if you plan to be outdoors for too long, then reapply sunscreen from time to time as you may need to replenish the protection for your skin. A sunscreen with a SPF count of 30 or above is usually preferred; however, this should completely be determined by the type of skin.
What type of damage can sun do to your skin?
Visible sun related damage to your skin could be any or all of the following:
- Skin which is patchy
- Dark spots
- Uneven skin tone
- Age spots
These are primarily manifestations of deep rooted sun related damage caused by one of the following:
- Brown patches or melasma: Often called the mask of pregnancy as it commonly afflicts expectant women, it may occur in other cases due to hormonal problems as well. It appears as darker patches on your skin within the bridge of the nose, cheeks and forehead. Sun damage aggravates this problem multi fold and thus can make a slight or small problem much worse.
Treatments against sun damage
As mentioned earlier, the best way to reverse sun damage is to use the correct SPF for your skin. A single SPF rating isn’t correct for everyone and it is best to consult a dermatologist to determine what rating would be correct for you. However, some of the other modern treatments you can rely on to reverse and prevent sun damage could be:
- Peels that give instant clarity by reducing pigmentation
- Reducing complexes such as certain liquid applicants that lessen topical pigmentation
- Skin rejuvenating Lasers that provide instant clarity with Laser action
- PRP or platelet rich plasma that is derived from the cells of your own body and then used as a serum to be injected into the skin to heighten its self- healing powers.