Doctor in Agarwal General Hospital & Polyclinic
Submit a review for Agarwal General Hospital & PolyclinicYour feedback matters!
Hi, I have a very high digestion problem since last 7 to 8 years. Currently my age is 27 years. I have tried many things but they are not effective. I have work and study schedule with seating only and no physical work. Kindly advise.
It is often a misconception that you can lose fat from a specific place. If you lose fat from the body, then the fat loss would be from the entire body and won’t be restricted to a specific area of your body. Exercise and diet combined together form an effective tool which you can use to lose fat from your entire body.
The fat in the body is stored in the form of triglycerides, which the body cannot break down for energy. The triglycerides are first broken down to glycerol and fatty acids, which are then released into the bloodstream, following which they can be used as energy.
Initially the body uses the available carbohydrates present in the blood for energy; fat is only used as fuel after the carbohydrates supply is exhausted. Hence, prolonged steady state exercise, such as jogging for 50-60 minutes is an efficient method of burning fat. Another strategy you may employ to lose fat from your body is by a method called high intensity interval training.
High intensity interval training (HIIT) is increasingly becoming the new fad in fat loss. This method utilizes a concept where you do an exercise at full thrust for a short time of 20-30 seconds followed by a short rest period of 10-15 seconds; this comprises of one set. Repeat for another 9 to 10 sets for a proper HIIT workout. The idea is to burn energy during the exercise and after the exercise is complete.
The exercises in HIIT are done at full throttle which means your heart rate centers around an anaerobic zone and this creates an oxygen shortage in the body. An effect called EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) is induced in the body that results in an elevated metabolism for up to 24-48 hours after the workout. So you would be burning fat simply by doing nothing.
The fat loss process occurs when the fat cells around the body shrink. Doing body specific exercise such as crunches to lose fat from the stomach does not work and will only work the muscle underneath the fat. It is better to focus on compound exercises that involve the entire body to burn more calories and lose fat from the body. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The liver is a vital organ in our body because it performs many important functions. This includes filtering harmful substances in our blood, producing bile to facilitate digestion of food, storing energy and nutrients as well as producing hormones and enzymes that the body uses for performing essential functions.However, too much consumption of alcohol can affect the liver, lead to serious consequences related to our health, and also result in an alcohol-related liver disease (ALD). An ALD may, in turn, cause disruption of the digestion process and weaker immune system. It may even increase the risk of developing cancer.
As the name suggests, the prime cause behind the development of the alcohol-induced liver disease is the consumption of alcohol for a long duration. However, some of the other causes behind the development of alcohol-induced liver disease include the presence of an existing liver disease such as fatty liver or hepatitis, inherited liver disease, or a liver disease induced due to excessive or prolonged consumption of certain drugs.
Alcohol-induced liver diseases (ALD) can be of three types.
- Alcoholic fatty liver disease: Alcoholic fatty liver disease or steatosis occurs due to the deposition of fats in the liver, which is an end result of excessive alcohol consumption.
- Alcoholic hepatitis: Too much of alcohol consumption can also lead to liver inflammation, which is called alcoholic hepatitis.
- Alcoholic cirrhosis: This alcoholic-liver disease occurs when the liver is scarred due to excessive consumption of alcohol. In this case, the healthy and soft liver tissues are replaced with dead and hard tissues.
Symptoms: Some of the signs and symptoms, mostly related to ALD, are not noticed in the initial stage. It is only after a few years that the symptoms may appear. Some of the common symptoms include abdominal pain, loss of appetite and weight loss, swelling in the abdomen as well as the legs, feet, and ankles, a yellowish appearance of the skin, itchy skin with hair loss, and bleeding and complications such as liver cancer or ascites.
Diagnosing alcohol-related liver disease is based on your history of alcohol consumption. But, there is no single test that can detect this type of disease, so a combination of tests will be suggested by your physician before a specific type of alcoholic liver disease is diagnosed.
Ayurvedic home remedies
Ayurveda is known to be greatly beneficial for the treatment of alcohol-induced liver diseases. The use of natural ingredients like herbs can not only treat the liver disease but also promote the overall well-being of the liver. The treatment will include abstinence from alcohol, as it is very important when it comes to undoing the damage that alcohol has caused to your liver. The natural ingredients that can treat alcohol-induced liver disease include:
- Phyllanthus or bhumi amla: This natural ingredient acts as a liver cleanser. A great Ayurvedic herb, it will also rejuvenate your liver and protect it.
- Turmeric: Packed with antioxidants, turmeric can improve your liver’s health considerably. Additionally, its antiseptic and antiviral properties will help to prevent the buildup of virus that causes hepatitis B or C.
- Green Tea: Another amazing remedy that works in an amazing way is green tea. The catechins present in green tea supports the functioning of the liver.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds prevent the hormones from circulating in the blood. This reduces the strain on the liver and promotes the well-being of your liver. Additionally, it is also recommended that you choose a healthy diet filled with fresh vegetables and fruits and reduce the consumption of salt, oily, and spicy fried food. Too much of strenuous exercise must be avoided as well.
Home remedies are supportive only in case of Alcoholic fatty liver, but if you are suffering from alcoholic hepatitis and ALD related liver cirrhosis you must need proper line of treatment under a well experienced and expert Ayurvedic doctor. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!