Asthma is a condition in which a person's airways become inflamed, narrow, swell and produce extra mucus. People with a family history of allergies or asthma are more prone to developing asthma. The symptoms for Asthma are wheezing, coughing, tight chest, etc.
HOW IS ASTHMA DIAGNOSED?
Under the department of pulmonology it can be diagnosed by a general physician by conducting the following tests: 1. Spirometry 2.Methacholine challenge 3. Routine blood and urine tests
HOW IS ASTHMA TREATED?
Asthma treatment can be carried out with the help of medication and other methods like the use of a nebulizer in case there is shortness of breath, persistent cold and flu, as well as an allergic reaction. Inhalers and anticholinergic medicines may be prescribed for quick relief, while corticosteroids and other drugs may be administered for long term relief.
DID YOU KNOW?
Dust mites, pollen, acute air pollutions, artificial fragrances and beauty products are some of the most common triggers of Asthma.
Bronchial asthma is commonly known as asthma or reactive airway disease. This chronic condition tends to block airways also known as the bronchial tubes, preventing the flow of air in and out of the lungs. The blockage occurs because the airways become very narrow as a result of inflammation, which may occur due to chronic bronchitis. Certain triggers, which may be environmental or physical can also worsen the symptoms of asthma and trigger and attack. On the basis of asthma causes, the condition is characterized into two types-
1. asthma trigged because of allergies
2. asthma triggered because of non-allergic causes
Some common triggers of asthma are-
• Outdoor allergens like pollen, seeds and dust
• Indoor allergens like pet dander, dust mites and mould
• Certain kinds of drugs and foods
• Air irritants like smoke, chemicals fumes and odours
• Infections like Cold, flu and hay fever
• Vigorous exercise
• Stress and anxiety
• Sudden changes in weather, especially when it gets really cold
Asthma is very common among individuals across the world, and is a condition that affects both adults and children. In case of children, boys are more affected, while in the case of adults women are more affected. If you ever experience the symptoms of asthma it is essential that you consult a doctor immediately. Some asthma symptoms are as follows-
• Cough- sudden bouts of cough are generally experienced by asthma patients especially at night and early morning, making it difficult to sleep.
• Wheezing- this symptoms is very common among asthma patients, producing a squeaky sound when breathing.
• Chest tightness- This sign of asthma may make you feel claustrophobic resulting in the feeling that the chest is being squeezed really hard, making it very difficult to breathe.
• Shortness of breath- shortness of breath generally occurs in asthma patients, after they have indulged in strenuous physical activity.
Although there is no specific cure to this condition, in today’s time and day a number of treatments options are available for the control of asthma. These include-
• Changes in lifestyle- your doctor may suggest certain important lifestyle changes that will help control the symptoms of this condition. Especially if you suffer from chronic asthma, eating a healthy diet and maintaining a light but effective exercise regime is essential. You should also avoid foods that trigger allergic reactions.
• Long- term control medicines- most bronchial asthma patients have to take long term medicines. This is because the medicines effective reduce inflammation and control the symptoms of asthma. Administration of these medicines is either through a nebulizer or injection.
• Quick relief medicines- Administered through inhalers or MDIs this type of medication offers prevents a sudden asthma attack.
Lybrate offers you a great chance to connect with the top allergists to seek consultation with them either online or through an appointment. Through Lybrate you can get in touch with the top doctors all across India. Find leading allergists and general physicians in Patna, Rajkot, Surat, Thane, Thoothukudi etc. Lybrate.com also offers easy online solutions to your medical issues. Subscribe to Lybrate.com and receive great tips on Allergies and bronchial asthma.
You can consult doctors online for Asthma from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in A P Sen Marg, Aadil Nagar, Aish Bagh Road, Alambagh, Alamnagar, Ali Nagar Sunehra and in any other locality in Lucknow.