The zinc urine test is used to measure the amount of zinc in a person’s body. It is used to test for cases of zinc deficiency due to lack of adequate nutrition or cases of toxicity due to overexposure to the zinc element in industries or supplements. The test is also used to detect cases of zinc deficiency like Acrodermatitis enteropathica, occurring due to improper absorption of zinc. Zinc plays a very important role in wound healing and the test is also carried out in cases of delayed wound healing, growth retardation in children and in cases of diabetes in adults. The test is also carried out to check for increased zinc levels. Excessive zinc levels may suppress the absorption of other elements like copper leading to hypocupremia.
No special preparation is required for the test. Certain supplements, drugs and medication can introduce interfering substances into the test. Iodine containing substances like seafood and salt should be avoided in some cases for about a month before as they might interfere with the testing of elements. Fasting samples are also preferred as the level of zinc concentration is affected by meals. The doctor should be informed about existing medical conditions and allergies for particular instructions.
The test is used in diagnoses of zinc toxicity and deficiency. Used in monitoring response to treatment in Wilson's disease. Used by industrial workers for monitoring their exposure to zinc. Normal levels for 24 hour zinc urine test are 22-966 mcg/24 hours. If the levels are elevated, it may signify excess zinc supplementation or toxicity, and if the levels are lesser than normal, it may signify a deficiency of zinc. The levels should be interpreted with the respective serum levels for a clearer view. A condition that leads to excess of protein may also lead to excess of zinc in the urine as the zinc forms complexes with the proteins hence other tests are usually also carried out to confirm the findings.
A sample of urine is collected a plastic container. The sample is collected in mid-stream after the initial flow has been let go of. The sample is collected over 24 hour duration in the specified container, after noting the time at the end of the initial flow. The sample should not be contaminated by feces, menstrual blood. The sample is refrigerated and used for testing.
Zinc 24 Hour Urine
All age groups
300 - 600mcg/specimen
Glucose is the primary ingredient within the body which is turned into an energy source. This is what we use when we move, walk or make the slightest movements. To metabolize glucose into energy, your body needs insulin, which is a hormone produced within the pancreas. However, if the body doesn't react to the insulin or the pancreas is unable to produce enough, glucose cannot be converted into energy and thus results in type 2 diabetes.
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes
Causes of Type 2 diabetes
Some of the most common causes of Type 2 diabetes could be:
There three major factors that can help you prevent and reverse pre- and type II diabetes: proper diet and appropriate nutritional and herbal supplementation, exercise, and weight management.
Seeing multiple strands of your hair leave your scalp with shampoo, on the floor while combing or on clothes later on is terrible. It gives a feeling of going bald if such a situation continues unabated, and that feeling is disturbing.
Hair fall has become a major problem for many nowadays. Often lack of proper care and knowledge about hair care products causes damage to hair and eventually hair fall. According to Ayurveda, hair fall is associated with body type that varies from person to person and also the stability of mind-body structure. Hair is considered as a byproduct of bone formation, as stated by Ayurveda. The tissues which are responsible for the development of bones are also responsible for hair growth.
Here are some ways through which Ayurveda addresses the problem of hair fall:
1. Dietary modifications: It is important to identify the lifestyle habits that cause hair fall problems. Consumption of excessive alcohol, meat, coffee, tea and smoking are some of these habits. Hair fall can also be aggravated by indulging in intake of too much greasy, spicy, oily, sour, fried and acidic foods.
Here are some ways suggested by Ayurveda to beat hair fall:
2. Ayurvedic herbs and medicated oil: bhringaraja, brahmi, amla, neem, ritha and ashwagandha are some ayurvedic herbs rich in essential nutrients that help in reducing stress and promoting hair growth. Different types of oils including coconut oil, brahmi oil, amla oil or mustard oil are useful in hair fall.
3. Yoga and meditation: Inverted asanas help in stimulating the blood flow to the head. Additionally, practicing deep breathing exercises to control anxiety, stress and keep the mind balanced is also advisable. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.
Liver is a very important organ of your body. It is also the largest internal organ. Liver plays a pivotal role in food digestion, iron metabolism, regulation of blood clotting and removal of toxins from your body. Liver problems refer to the disruption of liver functions. There are various liver problems and diseases that you may encounter. Some of the liver problems are as follows:
The most common causes of the above mentioned liver problems are
Different liver problems have different symptoms. But there are some common symptoms for all liver diseases. The most common symptoms are mentioned below
Homeopathy can treat liver problems very effectively. The following are some of the solutions offered by homeopathy for different liver problems
1. If you are suffering from the problem of fatty liver, your doctor may recommend you medicines like Lycopodium, Phosphorus, Nux vomica
2. If you suffer from the problem of liver enlargement then your doctor may recommend you medicines like Carduus Marianus
3. Chionanthus and Taraxacum are medicines advised for liver problems like jaundice
4. Natrum sulphuricum may be recommended to you if you are suffering from problems like Liver cirrhosis
Homeopathic treatment for liver problems is very effective since it treats the medical condition according to specific symptoms. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
What are the causes?
Bladder cancer can be caused by environment-related factors and smoking. In fact, smoking tobacco is one of the major causes of bladder cancer around the world. The chemicals present in tobacco can irritate the bladder lining which ultimately leads to bladder cancer. It may also be caused by continuous exposure to chemicals such as dyes or leather dust and radiation. These chemicals tend to cause unusual changes in the cells of the bladder lining and causes cancer in the bladder.
It can also be caused by modifications in the dna in the cells of the bladder which may impair the functioning of the cells in the body. This can cause mutations in the bladder resulting in cancer.
What are the symptoms?
1. Presence of blood in the urine, often painless
2. Feeling of pain while passing urine
3. Back pain
4. Excessive urination
5. Infections in the urinary tract
6. Lower leg swelling
7. Pain in the bones, especially in the pelvic area
8. Weight loss
Treatments for bladder cancer depend on the stage of the cancer. The various treatment choices are:
Surgery - In some cases, these cancers are surgically removed by a surgeon. A type of surgery used is transurethral resection of bladder tumor (turbt) where the cancer cells are destroyed with laser by passing a thin fiber into the bladder.
Chemotherapy - In this method, medications are used to target and destroy cancer cells.
Immunotherapy - This treatment boosts the immune system of the body so that it attacks the cancerous cells in the bladder. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Urologist.
low platelet count is also known as thrombocytopenia. The human blood is essentially composed of four components namely erythrocytes (red blood cells), leukocytes (white blood cells), thrombocytes (blood platelets), and plasma.
Here we create a list of food items that helps in the lower platelet count problem. These fruits items, dairy products, protein items, vitamins, and minerals help in increasing platelet count.
1. : It is rich in iron and also contains vitamins. This fruit help to combat increasing platelet reduction with regular consumption & vitamins to keep your energy levels steady.
2. : It has high calcium which helps to regenerate the platelet. Calcium content with vitamin K and milk protein “Fibrinogen” increases the Platelet count and improves the blood's ability to form the clot. Calcium Deficiency can lead to your body much longer time in forming a clot .
3. : Folate or B9 is essential for healthy cell division in the body. A severe deficiency of folate in the body can result in a reduction in Blood Platelet. Daily intake of Folate is 400 mg is required. When the platelet count is low it’s consumption increases the platelet count. Food rich in Folate is Asparagus, Orange juice, Spinach, and fortified cereals.
4. : Lean protein food is an excellent source of Zinc and Vitamin 12 which are essential to reverse the effects of thrombocytopenia. In case of reduced platelet count take food like soybean, spinach (Palak), black beans, cow’s milk, white of egg, Oatmeal, Fish, and white meat chicken. This protein item helps increase platelet count
5.: Extract of the leaf of papaya is excellent for overall blood production and increases the platelet count (Prepare an extract of leaves by boiling leaves in medium heat for 15 minutes with water and wait till the water comes down to half ). Take leaf extract 2tsf twice daily.
6. : These oils strengthen the Immune system many autoimmune disorders are cause of thrombocytopenia or low platelet count. These oils reduce the inflammation of the body and improve blood circulation throughout the body.
7. : Vitamin A is essential for healthy platelet production, it also plays a role in the formation of Protein in the body which helps in the process of cell division and growth. Carrot, Pumpkin, Kale, and Sweet Potatoes (Sakarkandi).
9. : Vitamin K keeps cell growth at an optimum level in the body. Life of platelets is only 10 days which is to be compensated continually to maintain the lost amount in the body, hence high-calorie food for ideal production of blood platelets and vitamin K is one of the ingredients available in Eggs, Green leafy vegetables, Kale, Frozen Spinach, Mustard Greens Broccoli & Liver.
10. : To combat Thrombocytopenia in patients a vital anti-inflammatory diet is recommended by Platelet Disorder Association which helps in optimum blood production e.g. Whole grains, vegetables, and organic beans is recommended while animal protein is to be avoided except Fish Yogurt & cheese.
Update From Lybrate: Keep a check on your overall well-being by consuming healthy and delicious products. These Healthy Food Items not only soothe your taste buds but also keep you hydrated.